Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread: 2011 Mississippi River Spring Floods

Default 2011 Mississippi River Spring Floods

Anybody on this board that has camp, or knows anybody with a camp or is friends with anybody that has a camp between the levies and downstream of Morganza should take the opportunity this weekend to move anything of value from that camp. They are predicting the Mississippi River in Baton Rouge to reach or exceed levels of the 1927 flood on May 21. If you don't have insurance it's probably too late.

Bonnet Carre' spillway to open Monday, Morganza not too long after that. They are evacuating Angola State prison. Morganza was opened only once in 1973 and that was only a 10% opening.

Not time to panic yet but, just saying.

2. Default Re: Spring Floods Heads Up

KATC posted this picture snapped in Baton Rouge of the flooding by the capitol on Facebook.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Spring Floods Heads Up

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    _ Anybody on this board that has camp, or knows anybody with a camp or is friends with anybody that has a camp between the levies and downstream of Morganza should take the opportunity this weekend to move anything of value from that camp. They are predicting the Mississippi River in Baton Rouge to reach or exceed levels of the 1927 flood on May 21. If you don't have insurance it's probably too late.

Bonnet Carre' spillway to open Monday, Morganza not too long after that. They are evacuating Angola State prison. Morganza was opened only once in 1973 and that was only a 10% opening.

Not time to panic yet but, just saying. _
    When did the open the Bonne Carre'(sp?) spillway, last?

Z

Only evacuating medical inmates from Angola for now. The others have a little more work to do. I'll give you guys the heads up if we really start evacuating the area. I just hope I get put on a boat and not on the fence around the property.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post

Z

2008 I believe. Being from Natchez-Vidalia area, family is taking much need preparation. If the levee blows out at Lake Providence, It could be really bad for us.

igeaux.mobi

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by remington11 View Post
    _ 2008 I believe. Being from Natchez-Vidalia area, family is taking much need preparation. If the levee blows out at Lake Providence, It could be really bad for us.

igeaux.mobi _
    Yeah, I just googled it. The one I remember was 1997??. I traveled to N.O. on a regular basis at that time and the volume of water running thru there was scary. Best of luck to your family.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post

Z
    2008 was the last time, but it only opened half the bays. This time all of them will be opened. Morganza is tricky because it could really impact Morgan City. The corps have some tough decisions to make.

igeaux.mobi

8. Default Re: Spring Floods Heads Up

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ 2008 was the last time, but it only opened half the bays. This time all of them will be opened. Morganza is tricky because it could really impact Morgan City. The corps have some tough decisions to make.

igeaux.mobi _
    How would all of this effect the Vermilion River in A-ville???? I asked Terri and the Flood insurance needs to be in effect for 30 days before it becomes active---exception for a new home purchase!!!!

Yeah, a miscalculation at Morganza with the river that high could conceivably allow the Atchafalaya to capture the Mississippi. That would not be pretty.

2008 was the last time, but it only opened half the bays. This time all of them will be opened. Morganza is tricky because it could really impact Morgan City. The corps have some tough decisions to make.

igeaux.mobi

igeaux.mobi

I think they will avoid opening the Morganza if at all possible. It would be the first time they have ever opened it to alleviate flood waters.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    I think they will avoid opening the Morganza if at all possible. It would be the first time they have ever opened it to alleviate flood waters.
    The threshold for opening Morganza has already been met. The question is.how much damage will an already swollen Atch River bring to Morgan City if Morganza is opened. Those calculations are being made right now. One thing is certain, the corps will not let Baton Rouge and New Orleans flood.

igeaux.mobi

_ The threshold for opening Morganza has already been met. The question is.how much damage will an already swollen Atch River bring to Morgan City if Morganza is opened. Those calculations are being made right now. One thing is certain, the corps will not let Baton Rouge and New Orleans flood.

igeaux.mobi _
    Go to the head of the class. Morgan City is low man on the totem pole. Plan B involves blowing a hole in the levee in the Port Barre - Melville area to reduce the impact on Morgan City. This would happen only in the most extreme of circumstance. Lets hope that we will not see any abnormally high tides during this period because that would cause even more impact in the Morgan City area.

We could be seeing a significant historical event in the next two to three weeks.

Morganza will be opened, it's just a matter of when and how much. The current Old River control structure was built after the 1973 event that almost resulted in the redirection of the Mississippi River to the Attachfalya. It was real close. The reason Morganza was opened only 10% in 1973 is because the downstream levees were not high enough to take any more capacity.

Anybody living anywhere near the levees will see an increase in snakes, alligators, bear, deer and other wildlife that they may not be used to seeing. So even if you are not directly affected by the flood waters life in the area will be difficult at best.

This is a very serious situation and is something everybody that lives in Louisiana needs to keep an eye on.

_ Go to the head of the class. Morgan City is low man on the totem pole. Plan B involves blowing a hole in the levee in the Port Barre - Melville area to reduce the impact on Morgan City. This would happen only in the most extreme of circumstance. Lets hope that we will not see any abnormally high tides during this period because that would cause even more impact in the Morgan City area.

We could be seeing a significant historical event in the next two to three weeks.

Morganza will be opened, it's just a matter of when and how much. The current Old River control structure was built after the 1973 event that almost resulted in the redirection of the Mississippi River to the Attachfalya. It was real close. The reason Morganza was opened only 10% in 1973 is because the downstream levees were not high enough to take any more capacity.

Anybody living anywhere near the levees will see an increase in snakes, alligators, bear, deer and other wildlife that they may not be used to seeing. So even if you are not directly affected by the flood waters life in the area will be difficult at best.

This is a very serious situation and is something everybody that lives in Louisiana needs to keep an eye on. _
    I was always led to believe that if the Mississippi ever took the Atchafalaya route that you could kiss the present bridges over the Atchafalaya at Krotz Springs and I10 over the basin goodbye. Your thoughts?

Z

14. Default Re: Spring Floods Heads Up

So what about the Vermilion River and Abbeville??? Well if the Basin bridge and the 190 bridge and the Morgan City bridge go---How do you get to NO---Question----I saw in Missouri that they blew the levee up stream---When NO was suppose to flood why blow the river below in St. Bernard??? Now I can understand the type of people--but!!!!LOL

Manthis sounds a bit scary!

I remember seeing water in the Morganza Floodway in 1973. I just don't remember the impact.

Go to the head of the class. Morgan City is low man on the totem pole. Plan B involves blowing a hole in the levee in the Port Barre - Melville area to reduce the impact on Morgan City. This would happen only in the most extreme of circumstance. Lets hope that we will not see any abnormally high tides during this period because that would cause even more impact in the Morgan City area.

This is a very serious situation and is something everybody that lives in Louisiana needs to keep an eye on.

igeaux.mobi

Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread Information