Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 . LastLast

Thread: 2011 Mississippi River Spring Floods

1. Default Re: Spring Floods

Watch KATC's newscast tonight.very important update on the Corps flood time table & inundation-water rises a lot sooner than expected.
    TweetDeck • 5/13/11 9:47 PM

Posted by Rob Perrillo on Twitter

igeaux.mobi

Default Re: Spring Floods

Gauges have been put up on the levee. Bayou Benoit's gauge is at about 6 inches. At the pontoon bridge in Butte Larose, the water hasn't reached the gauge yet but it won't be long. The basin is rising about 6 inches per day right now and that will double once the Morganza is opened.

Bad thing is the flood and damage. Good thing is this will clean out the basin of the hydrila and other plants taking over. Also, we will have tons of crawfish available. Plus, we are prepared to open a shipping port in Coteau Holmes if the river takes it's natural course.

This is Bayou Benoit Landing today (5/13/11). The water has reached the bottom of the levee.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    _ Watch KATC's newscast tonight.very important update on the Corps flood time table & inundation-water rises a lot sooner than expected.
    TweetDeck • 5/13/11 9:47 PM

Posted by Rob Perrillo on Twitter

igeaux.mobi _
    For anyone who missed it, the Corps now expects the water to come around the inner levee in Butte Larose sooner than expected and go up towards Krotz Springs within 30 hours instead of days.

I'm starting to get REAL worried about all of this. What if a "what if" situation happens in the BR area? We already know that the basin is going to flood and that sucks. I'm just babbling on due to stress about all of this.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by andrepourciau View Post
    _ I'm starting to get REAL worried about all of this. What if a "what if" situation happens in the BR area? We already know that the basin is going to flood and that sucks. I'm just babbling on due to stress about all of this.

igeaux.mobi _
    You might have a real long trip to the football games this fall

_ I'm starting to get REAL worried about all of this. What if a "what if" situation happens in the BR area? We already know that the basin is going to flood and that sucks. I'm just babbling on due to stress about all of this.

igeaux.mobi _
    Think about the positives, like how much I can pump into RCAF once I make millions with my shipping port in the NEW Mississippi River.

8. Default

I'm starting to get REAL worried about all of this. What if a "what if" situation happens in the BR area? We already know that the basin is going to flood and that sucks. I'm just babbling on due to stress about all of this.
    I was in baton rouge today at my brothers office building in the 20th story facing the river. After seeing the river from that view and the speed it was moving, I'm more concerned now than I thought u ever would be. Why are they putting orange bouys on top of the levee on the DOWNTOWN side . If the corps has miscalculated it could get real scary over there. Let's pray that we, as Louisianians, come our of this ok !!!

igeaux.mobi

The orange bouys are a quick fix to raise the levees. No offense to anyone and even though I work for the government, I don't trust a single government agency. Good thing I live on a ridge and will have plenty of time to get out if anything happens. Out here, we are all just hoping the Morganza and the levee hold up. Last spring, the levee was having small landslides from all the rain.

10. Default Re: Spring Floods

If they are now saying 15 feet of water at the slab of the Butte La Rose fire station, that is TWICE what I had understood. If that indeed occurs, that area as we know it will not exist anymore. I have fished that area since 1964. I cannot even imagine 15 feet of water on the ground in that area. That should equate to about 20 feet or more on top of Henderson Lake, which is today at 15.5 or so. That level of water will touch the bottom of the I10 span.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ If you are talking about THIS area.the worse case scenario is about to happen.
    igeaux.mobi _
    I am now afraid you are correct. I need someone with some serious knowledge to tell me how they know the Atchafalaya at Morgan city will only crest at 13.5' maximum. I went down to Calumet Cut this afternoon. as we passed over the bridge you could plainly see the water was passing only 2 feet under the railroad bridge & rising. Once the river level goes even with the railroad bridge. the back up at that point in the drainage system will begin to cause the river to rise at an alarming pace. I have seen this before when the Bowie & Leaf Rivers rose in Mississippi. It caused massive back flooding in some areas that went on for miles.

The beam for the railroad bridge is at least 42" thick & then the highway 90 bridge is another 4-5 feet on top of that. Once the water in the Calumet Cut hits that bridge with the force of water it is now carrying, the Atchafalaya is dead spot on to bottleneck & back up along the outter levee on the West side against Centerville & Franklin & the East side where the levee runs all the way up to beyond Stephensville. While the levee is good up to possibly 21' river stage there, the locks at the Tech are only good up to 15'. I have pictures to prove this.

The level at the Tech locks off the Calumet cut is over 8' now & 15' will breach the locks. I see no way that once the Teche locks are breached that Patterson to Berwick don't go under about 10' of water. I want someone to tell me I'm wrong. I need someone to tell me I'm wrong. Please present explanation with relief points where the river would find another access route to keep this occurance from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    The level at the Tech locks off the Calumet cut is over 8' now & 15' will breach the locks. I see no way that once the Teche locks are breached that Patterson to Berwick don't go under about 10' of water. I want someone to tell me I'm wrong. I need someone to tell me I'm wrong. Please present explanation with relief points where the river would find another access route to keep this occurance from happening. _
    Calumet cut and a few other structures on the lower end of the basin are below the desired design grade, but we are flood fighting them. Plates have been welded onto most of the gates if not all, and sand bags and hesco baskets are being used to tie the structures into the levees on either side of them.

BigEd.this stuff is reeeaallly starting to scare me now.the first estimations seem to have been very much to the low side.and now they are recaculating and revising upwards. Now I am wondering if water will now top the BIG levee at Pat's in Henderson.

Please tell me I am wrong!!

Quote Originally Posted by biged05 View Post
    Calumet cut and a few other structures on the lower end of the basin are below the desired design grade, but we are flood fighting them. Plates have been welded onto most of the gates if not all, and sand bags and hesco baskets are being used to tie the structures into the levees on either side of them.
    igeaux.mobi

You're wrong. We will have sufficient freeboard there
    igeaux.mobi

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 . LastLast

Thread Information