Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 . LastLast

Thread: 2011 Mississippi River Spring Floods

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Spring Floods Heads Up

Quote Originally Posted by biged05 View Post
    _ Z,

Shhhh, that was a secret I try and check this out as often as I can, just been a bit busy lately! _
    Good to hear from you big man! Look forward to seeing you this fall!

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ Good to hear from you big man! Look forward to seeing you this fall!

Z _
    I'll see you there. I'd say come hell or highwater, but I don't want to take any chances.

I did not think opening morganza would cause the miss to reroute. What I meant was what happens if one day all these structures and levees and spillways don't work as planned and the river DOES reroute? What goes under water?
    igeaux.mobi

Some of you may be interested in this.

http://deltas.usgs.gov/bonnetcarre.aspx

BigEd.I'm trying to get a feel for what it does to water levels closer to us if Morganza is used.

The USGS water level reading at Pelba right now is at about 13.5 feet. How many feet above that will the water level in Henderson Lakr rise IF Moeganza is opened?

Thanks for info.

igeaux.mobi

I'll see you there. I'd say come hell or highwater, but I don't want to take any chances.
    Hey big Ed. Hope the family is well. Tell everyone hello for me I talked to js and he told me you guys were busy prior to the flooding. Hope all goes well. Stop by next time you are at a baseball game.

igeaux.mobi

_ Z,

Shhhh, that was a secret I try and check this out as often as I can, just been a bit busy lately! _
    Big Ed, I heard patterson to berwick were ok due to their levee system. What about Franklin, Morgan City, & Houma?

Why can't they open the Morganza further than they will open it?

Why can't they pick up the weir @ Butte Larose & let the water flow between the levees @ Henderson & the whiskey bay channel & hold it there temporarily until the flood levels go down?

I'm asking you these questions because hearing your explanations, I believe you are the most expert person I Have ever read on this. I have always been fascinated by the Lower Mississippi flood control system. Would appreciate your response & any recommended reading on this.

Charliek--sorry about that, that's why I said I hope I didn't mis-understand anyone. If everything would fail that would be catastrophic and it would change everyones life around here. Lafayette might be the new port city then.lol

CajunRed---it's hard to say what would happen. I know they are running models to get a feel for it and present to the higher powers that will make the decision, and none of those are being released at this time. Once things are released, I'll let you know where to find the info.

igeaux.mobi

Thanks.

Charliek--sorry about that, that's why I said I hope I didn't mis-understand anyone. If everything would fail that would be catastrophic and it would change everyones life around here. Lafayette might be the new port city then.lol

CajunRed---it's hard to say what would happen. I know they are running models to get a feel for it and present to the higher powers that will make the decision, and none of those are being released at this time. Once things are released, I'll let you know where to find the info.

igeaux.mobi

igeaux.mobi

Cajun_civil---thanks the kids are getting big. Js is right the last week or so has been insanely busy. I'll pass the word. This is gm right? I forget who's who sometimes!

Bandwagon king---Houma is a ways off they should be fine. Franklin is protected mainly by the basin protection levees and should be ok. The outlying areas of Morgan city towards stephensville and Amelia, but I'm not really sure where. That's not my area and almost everything is speculation.

As far as morganza being opened more, there is an op plan that has to be followed. That's the short answer.

The water will already be between Henderson and butte la rose when it starts backing up if morganza is opened.

I take that last part as a compliment. Thank you! I share in your fascination and have since I was in school so much so that I knew I wanted to work for the corps since I graduated high school. As far as reading if you are on Facebook look up us national weather service and look for a link from a few days ago about the system. I didn't read all of it but it looked accurate. And someone mentioned rising tide. Great book highly reccomend it.

igeaux.mobi

_ Cajun_civil---thanks the kids are getting big. Js is right the last week or so has been insanely busy. I'll pass the word. This is gm right? I forget who's who sometimes!

Bandwagon king---Houma is a ways off they should be fine. Franklin is protected mainly by the basin protection levees and should be ok. The outlying areas of Morgan city towards stephensville and Amelia, but I'm not really sure where. That's not my area and almost everything is speculation.

As far as morganza being opened more, there is an op plan that has to be followed. That's the short answer.

The water will already be between Henderson and butte la rose when it starts backing up if morganza is opened.

I take that last part as a compliment. Thank you! I share in your fascination and have since I was in school so much so that I knew I wanted to work for the corps since I graduated high school. As far as reading if you are on Facebook look up us national weather service and look for a link from a few days ago about the system. I didn't read all of it but it looked accurate. And someone mentioned rising tide. Great book highly reccomend it.

igeaux.mobi _
    Is there any way to contain the water in spillway we cross over going to Baton Rouge & trap it until the rivers start to go down in level? & Thanks for the other info. I just hope politics doesn't take precident over what's best for the most people & property in the decision making by the powers that be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    _ Is there any way to contain the water in spillway we cross over going to Baton Rouge & trap it until the rivers start to go down in level? & Thanks for the other info. I just hope politics doesn't take precident over what's best for the most people & property in the decision making by the powers that be.
    That is why they are flooding the smaller communities. Large city = votes. JMO.

Cajun_civil---thanks the kids are getting big. Js is right the last week or so has been insanely busy. I'll pass the word. This is gm right? I forget who's who sometimes!

igeaux.mobi
    Yes it is. Good to hear from you and stay safe out there.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    _ Is there any way to contain the water in spillway we cross over going to Baton Rouge & trap it until the rivers start to go down in level? & Thanks for the other info. I just hope politics doesn't take precident over what's best for the most people & property in the decision making by the powers that be. _
    If they open Morganza, that's essentially what happens. Divert is more the term I would use in stead of trap, unless you mean store it from getting down to Morgan City, then no there is no way to hold it up from getting down there.

From this mornings (5/7/11) Advertiser.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article.text|FRONTPAGE

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 . LastLast

Thread Information