Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst . 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Mississippi River Spring Floods

Default Re: Go ahead & bust my chops.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    It's when he strayed from predictions based on what he was seeing to explanations about how the river structure works and how open channel flow works that he got off track. No big deal, complex topics. Except he couldn't let it go. Again he missed the point then, much like now. Texas? The KKK? Really?
    I've got news for you pal. There were things about the river control structrue that the people giving the orders didn't know until history took effect. That's why the predictions were so wildly inacurrate. That's why half of South Louisiana has sand bags stacked where water levels went down. Now figure out how I'm the only one who wasn't exactly right about everything.

Since we're getting off topic again there's another thing that no one knew nor could all those pretending to be in the know, explain to me simply because they didn't know or have a clue. It didn't really matter when they closed the flood gates once the atchafalya crested & started going down because it proved by level that the Atchafalaya & the Wax Lake Outlet were well capable of outflowing the Mississippi River. No one knew this & certainly no one banked on it or talked about it happeneing, or else somebody made a LOT of unnecessary money on sand bags & selling dirt to the Corps & several parrishes & making a lot of poor people in Stephensville & points South evacuate unnecessarily.

Furthermore, it also proves the theory that if the river ever does try to change course the Corps has the situation well under control, because when they opened those flood gates & allowed what happened to occur, they actually did cause the river to artificially change its course & it woked without a hitch. Now, you haven't heard anyone else say that even though that was an obvious outcome of what was accpomplished. I also seem to remember folks talking about the gates having to be ketp open well into the fall & that there was still a massive danger of water upstream causing secondary & other later cresting which never occured & which I predicted to 100% accuracy would NOT occur. I also recall being the first & only one to predict that Stephensville would NOT flood, but rather have lower than normal levels. But I was the idiot questioning the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I've got news for you pal. There were things about the river control structrue that the people giving the orders didn't know until history took effect. That's why the predictions were so wildly inacurrate. That's why half of South Louisiana has sand bags stacked where water levels went down. Now figure out how I'm the only one who wasn't exactly right about everything.

Since we're getting off topic again there's another thing that no one knew nor could all those pretending to be in the know, explain to me simply because they didn't know or have a clue. It didn't really matter when they closed the flood gates once the atchafalya crested & started going down because it proved by level that the Atchafalaya & the Wax Lake Outlet were well capable of outflowing the Mississippi River. No one knew this & certainly no one banked on it or talked about it happeneing, or else somebody made a LOT of unnecessary money on sand bags & selling dirt to the Corps & several parrishes & making a lot of poor people in Stephensville & points South evacuate unnecessarily.

Furthermore, it also proves the theory that if the river ever does try to change course the Corps has the situation well under control, because when they opened those flood gates & allowed what happened to occur, they actually did cause the river to artificially change its course & it woked without a hitch. Now, you haven't heard anyone else say that even though that was an obvious outcome of what was accpomplished. I also seem to remember folks talking about the gates having to be ketp open well into the fall & that there was still a massive danger of water upstream causing secondary & other later cresting which never occured & which I predicted to 100% accuracy would NOT occur. I also recall being the first & only one to predict that Stephensville would NOT flood, but rather have lower than normal levels. But I was the idiot questioning the system.
    Then join the Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan3406 View Post
    Then join the Corps.
    I can't afford the pay cut!

Now figure out how I'm the only one who wasn't exactly right about everything.
    Wow.

I can't afford the pay cut!
    Consult for them then.

Consult for them then.
    Not a problem. I charge $150/ Hour. make it happen.

I told you to do it. Got your PE?

Default Re: Mississippi River Spring Floods of 2011

Turb.if possible, please hide this thread from Kyle. I don't know if the group could make it thru all of that again.

PS.don't tell him I mentioned that to you.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    Turb.if possible, please hide this thread from Kyle. I don't know if the group could make it thru all of that again.

PS.don't tell him I mentioned that to you.
    Don't blame me. I didn't drag this thing back out the grave. Here's a question for ya though. What the heck else we gonna do in our spare time?

I didn't drag this thing back out the grave.
    Really?????

Someone please make this thread just die!!! Shoot it, murder it, something.

11. Default Re: Mississippi River Spring Floods of 2011

Wel fact is Kyle was right in his predictions but his formula for getting there is still unknown to the masses.

A lot was learned through the scare last Spring. ALot was learned by the experts as well. I suspect every flood is different -so many one time variables- we will always be learning how to predict and handle these situations.

I learned a lot in this thread, thanks for all the links.

Don't blame me. I didn't drag this thing back out the grave.
    Do you honestly believe that everything that you say is 100% correct? This thread died in July 2011 and YOU brought it back from the grave.

13. Default Re: Mississippi River Spring Floods of 2011

I didn't/don't know my ___ from a hole in the ground about the entire deal but I loved the thoughts, research,and mostly the ongoing drama as the water flowed South----I'll say it again---Lots of smarts on this board!!!!

I told you to do it. Got your PE?
    I'll take your non-response as a no.

I'll take your non-response as a no.
    He had his PEpontificator extordinaire.

Not sure if you can get $150 an hour for that though

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst . 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread Information