Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread: 2011 Mississippi River Spring Floods

Default Re: Spring Floods Heads Up

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ I was always led to believe that if the Mississippi ever took the Atchafalaya route that you could kiss the present bridges over the Atchafalaya at Krotz Springs and I10 over the basin goodbye. Your thoughts?

Z _
    It would depend on how much debris is picked up by the water and impacts the bridges. They could probably pass the water but not withstand the impact of the debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ So what about the Vermilion River and Abbeville??? Well if the Basin bridge and the 190 bridge and the Morgan City bridge go---How do you get to NO---Question----I saw in Missouri that they blew the levee up stream---When NO was suppose to flood why blow the river below in St. Bernard??? Now I can understand the type of people--but!!!!LOL _
    They blow the levies at the location that impacts the least amount of people and gives the most relief to the levies. Better to lose a levee where and when you want it then to leave it to chance. A random levee break in New Orleans would make Katrina look like a cake walk.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    _ It would depend on how much debris is picked up by the water and impacts the bridges. They could probably pass the water but not withstand the impact of the debris. _

So basically, the 50 minute trip from BR to LFT takes 8 hrs now that you have to go by way of Vicksburg and Natchez(taking into acct all the freakin traffic, of course!!!)??

Z

ps. Not a laughing matter. I certainly hope the best for all those in the direct impact area.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ So basically, the 50 minute trip from BR to LFT takes 8 hrs now that you have to go by way of Vicksburg and Natchez(taking into acct all the freakin traffic, of course!!!)??

Z

ps. Not a laughing matter. I certainly hope the best for all those in the direct impact area. _
    That's basically correct. It would also depend on the condition of highway 90 through Morgan City. You are correct again in that this is not a laughing matter.

I guess Venice will be screwed.

igeaux.mobi

I am glad I get out of Venice on Tuesday. If it gets that bad all of the guys on the rig cars will flood. The parking at Chvron dock is low.

I don't think the threat of flooding at Venice will be as severe as upstream. You have multiple water outlets in Venice. The river is not as bottled up per say. In regards to the 73' opening, the Old river control structure was beginning to fall apart. Morganza was opened up to relieve pressure. Even with it opened at less than full capacity, this set the record crests in the Atchafalaya. We could set some new records with a full opening. I'm afraid there will be extensive flooding in Morgan City and surrounding areas. If you have a house boat in the Basin, better make sure it can rise high.

the real losers when the spillways get opened are the fishermen. Not only will the fish move because of the volume of fresh water being pushed into the sound, but oysters and shrimp will be killed striking another blow to an industry that has been badly beat up already

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by billbeck451 View Post
    the real losers when the spillways get opened are the fishermen. Not only will the fish move because of the volume of fresh water being pushed into the sound, but oysters and shrimp will be killed striking another blow to an industry that has been badly beat up already
    We are in the golden age for Oysters.

This used to happen every year to the Oyster area.
    igeaux.mobi

10. Default Re: Spring Floods Heads Up

I remember reading in 1973 that the flood then nearly took out the Old River Control Structure. What has been done since then to prevent this from happening now?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ We are in the golden age for Oysters.

This used to happen every year to the Oyster area.
    igeaux.mobi _
    +1000

Fisheries today are way more static and predictable than in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    _ I remember reading in 1973 that the flood then nearly took out the Old River Control Structure. What has been done since then to prevent this from happening now? _
    A lot. There are now three reinforced flood structures in this area. The fear is not "losing" the river to the Atchafalaya, but having a major levee breach in BR or NOLA.

This is a link to an Aerial Photo of the ORCS as it is today.

http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/recrea.trolCcolor.pdf

The Old River Low Sill and Overbank structures were built in 1962 the Auxillary Structure built in 1986. The 1962 structure came "that close" to failure. They were throwing in cars, BFR and any thing else they could get their hands on. (BFR is a highly technical term for Big ____ing Rock.)

This is a link to the river stage current conditions and forecasts.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lmrfc/?n=lmr.oriverforecast

The Thursday May 5 forecast assumes Bonnet Carre' open but not Morganza. This will probably change. All forecasts are subject to upstream rainfall and time to route the runoff through the watershed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    How would all of this effect the Vermilion River in A-ville???? I asked Terri and the Flood insurance needs to be in effect for 30 days before it becomes active---exception for a new home purchase!!!!

Should not affect the Vermilion river. Currently the only water which enters the verm from atchafalya is through pumps. Do not know of an emergency breech to divert water from atchafalya.

igeaux.mobi

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread Information