Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 . LastLast

Thread: 2011 Mississippi River Spring Floods

Quote Originally Posted by biged05 View Post
    You're wrong. We will have sufficient freeboard there
    igeaux.mobi
    Thank you, Ed. This is freaking me.as I am sure, many others.out.

igeaux.mobi

Default Re: Spring Floods

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ Thank you, Ed. This is freaking me.as I am sure, many others.out.

igeaux.mobi _
    Trust me I know the feeling. My stomach has been in knots for over a week now.just ask my wife!

Quote Originally Posted by biged05 View Post
    _ Calumet cut and a few other structures on the lower end of the basin are below the desired design grade, but we are flood fighting them. Plates have been welded onto most of the gates if not all, and sand bags and hesco baskets are being used to tie the structures into the levees on either side of them. _
    Thanks for your honesty, this is not the answer I was hoping for.

I am posting pictures of the Teche flood gate. the top of it is 15' it ties into the levee which rises to 21' on both sides & then has the sand bags on on it. I believe this will be ground zero & the place where a major breech would risk a few thousand hard headed people's lives at risk who are depending too much on their part of the levee system to pass & someone else's to fail.

The first gate was opened today at 3:01 P.M. CST May 14, 2011

They're trying to wash us away.

igeaux.mobi

6. Default Spillway's opening sending wildlife scurrying - News-Star

“But if a bear gets confused and winds up on the 50-yardline of the (University of Louisiana at Lafayette) stadium, we’re going to get him.” Barham said his agents will trap and relocate any bears that encroach on heavily populated areas. “We’re .

7. Default OPPJ to discuss parishwide drainage - News-Star

Drainage will be a major topic of discussion next week by the Ouachita Parish Police Jury. At its regular meeting Monday, police jurors are expected to discuss several items related to parishwide drainage. Problems with drainage in several areas of .

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    _ The first gate was opened today at 3:01 P.M. CST May 14, 2011 _
    Looked like they kept it closed as long as they could. It was only about 1-2' from topping the levee in most places.

Barges get loose on the Mississippi and hit the 190 bridge in Baton Rouge. No damage to the bridge. If one of those barges would have hit a levee in a curve of the river it could have been a disaster.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/lat.at-bridge.html

10. Default Louisiana readies to open spillway, flood Cajun country - Tulsa World

Army engineers prepared Saturday to slowly open the gates of an emergency spillway along the rising Mississippi River, diverting floodwaters from Baton Rouge and New Orleans, yet inundating homes and farms in parts of Louisiana's populated Cajun country .

11. Default Officials: Flooding to force Louisianawildlife to higher ground - USA Today

"But if a bear gets confused and winds up on the 50-yard-line of the ( University of Louisiana at Lafayette) stadium, we're going to get him." Barham said his agents will trap and relocate any bears that encroach on heavily populated areas. "We're going to .

12. Default Louisiana residents evacuate as flood spillway opens - USA Today

LAFAYETTE, La. -- Officials opened the Morganza Spillway on . particularly in Baton Rouge and New Orleans , was also a decision to flood parts of central south Louisiana. About 2,500 people live inside the floodway, and 22,500 others, along with 11,000 .

13. Default La. floodgate opens, diverting Mississippi River - YAHOO!

MORGANZA, La. – Water from the inflated Mississippi River gushed through a floodgate Saturday for the first time in nearly four decades and headed toward thousands of homes and farmland in the Cajun countryside, threatening to slowly submerge the land .

Here is a an interesting quote from USA Today:

"Many will go into thickets and wooded lots outside the basin until the water recedes; nature is an adaptable system," Barham said. "But if a bear gets confused and winds up on the 50-yard-line of the (University of Louisiana at Lafayette) stadium, we're going to get him."

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/floo.wildlife_n.htm

15. Default Cajuns with deep roots cede to flood - St. Louis Post-Dispatch

BUTTE LA ROSE, La. • You do not really want to ask a Cajun why he lives in a swamp, especially when he is packing everything he owns because the very swamp he loves is about to swallow up his house. The Army Corps of Engineers opened a portion of the .

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 . LastLast

Thread Information