Thread: VERTICAL JUMP

Default VERTICAL JUMP

I just received a text from someone in the know-
    Ragin' Cajun Jacob Maxwell, TE recently vertical jumped 38 inches.
    That's BIG.I'm guessing that means he can touch over 11 feet. Those kids should have an exciting and productive summer.

2. Default Re: VERTICAL JUMP

Quote Originally Posted by uslol'dog View Post
    _ I just received a text from someone in the know-
    That's BIG.I'm guessing that means he can touch over 11 feet. Those kids should have an exciting and productive summer. _
    I have been posting this from the get-go---I thought it was a misprint and I think that it was actually 40" at his signing with the Cajuns!!!!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: VERTICAL JUMP

Quote Originally Posted by uslol'dog View Post
    _ I just received a text from someone in the know-
    That's BIG.I'm guessing that means he can touch over 11 feet. Those kids should have an exciting and productive summer. _
    Boomer.
    Just saw it with my own two eyes! I keep telling you that the football supplements work!

T-Boy

4. Default Re: VERTICAL JUMP

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    _ Boomer.
    Just saw it with my own two eyes! I keep telling you that the football supplements work!

T-Boy _
    what are you talking about????? He has lost 2" of his vertical jump since taking the stuff!!!! LOL---$200 bucks can win a game---Will you be the one that kept us from being in the NO Bowl????? Love you guy---See where we finally got some weight lifters in the school!!!! LOL

Default Re: VERTICAL JUMP

Maxwell is one heck of an athlete.

The Supplements are a necessity.

And last but not least, the Staff's engagement and detailed focus on specific needs for specific players as far as diet and conditioning will make a monumental difference IMO.

But I have a question, why do we care what someone's vertical jump is?

I think football coaches should measure TOUCH(highest point a player can TOUCH when jumping) and subtract HEIGHT from it, and call it LEAP, what's your LEAP?

After all, in a game, we care how high his hands can reach to tip passes or catch them. Also, due to a difference in arm lengths of players, their natural build may give them a few additional inches that matter.and are not measured in vertical jump.

While I am on the dead horse kicking parade, let's move on to BROAD JUMP.

What rocket scientist came up with this system? Do you realize that they ask a player to stand with their TOE on a line and jump, then they measure from the line where their TOE was to the place where their HEEL landed?

Anyone can plainly see that they need to measure to where their TOE landed if that's what was on the line they are measuring from. The way they do it penalizes kids with big feet. A kid with a 2" shorter foot can jump the exact same TOE to TOE distance, and get 2" added on to his effort becuase his HEEL is 2" closer to his TOE than the big footed guy :-)

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by drumroll View Post
    _ Maxwell is one heck of an athlete.

And last but not least, the Staff's engagement and detailed focus on specific needs for specific players as far as diet and conditioning will make a monumental difference IMO.

I think football coaches should measure TOUCH(highest point a player can TOUCH when jumping) and subtract HEIGHT from it, and call it LEAP, what's your LEAP?

After all, in a game, we care how high his hands can reach to tip passes or catch them. Also, due to a difference in arm lengths of players, their natural build may give them a few additional inches that matter.and are not measured in vertical jump.

What rocket scientist came up with this system? Do you realize that they ask a player to stand with their TOE on a line and jump, then they measure from the line where their TOE was to the place where their HEEL landed?

Anyone can plainly see that they need to measure to where their TOE landed if that's what was on the line they are measuring from. The way they do it penalizes kids with big feet. A kid with a 2" shorter foot can jump the exact same TOE to TOE distance, and get 2" added on to his effort becuase his HEEL is 2" closer to his TOE than the big footed guy :-) _
    Hey Bud! Glad you still visit the old place! I hope you and your family are well!

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ Hey Bud! Glad you still visit the old place! I hope you and your family are well!

Z _
    Doing well, hope to see you guys at some games this fall.

8. Default

Doing well, hope to see you guys at some games this fall.
    I want to meet you.

By the way, that was some great logic.

Now if it was a race I could understand . . . the race isn't over till your butt crosses the finish line.
    igeaux.mobi

9. Default

Maxwell is one heck of an athlete.

Anyone can plainly see that they need to measure to where their TOE landed if that's what was on the line they are measuring from. The way they do it penalizes kids with big feet. A kid with a 2" shorter foot can jump the exact same TOE to TOE distance, and get 2" added on to his effort becuase his HEEL is 2" closer to his TOE than the big footed guy :-)
    Vertical jump is measured because in game-time situations players usually don't have time to gather for a jump, so they need to be able to quickly explode to make a play on the ball when it's in the air, especially on jump balls. Also, when playing against someone with a height advantage the shorter player has a better chance at making a play on the ball if they can out jump the taller player.

igeaux.mobi

Anyone can plainly see that they need to measure to where their TOE landed if that's what was on the line they are measuring from. The way they do it penalizes kids with big feet. A kid with a 2" shorter foot can jump the exact same TOE to TOE distance, and get 2" added on to his effort becuase his HEEL is 2" closer to his TOE than the big footed guy :-) _

Measuring vertical jumps and broad jumps have nothing to do with actually having to perform these things within a game. Very rarely in football, position wide, do you actually leap up in the air with everything you have to make a play. As someone else said earlier, its to measure explosive power and to train for explosive power. Think of a vertical jump and its movement; now think of a broad jump. Focus on the movement of the hips, legs, and back only. Don't focus on the end result of the movement.

Try this, perform a vertical jump - next perform a broad jump - as you see them performed on television. NOW, perform the same movements vertical jump/broad jump movement from a crouched position with a good portion of your body weight centered on an outstretched hand right in front of you. You'll notice for the most part that the explosive movement from a vertical or broad jump is the same basic movement of someone exploding out of a footballl stance.

So, it really has nothing to do with leaping or jumping and more on the actions of the legs, hips, back, and abdominals. They measure propulsion from one place to the other in order to quantify progress. You'll see alot of other sports that require quick bursts to perform the exact same training. I used to think the same thing before I was enlighted in college.

Jacob is one of those guys that I have targeted to be a sleeper player for us. He has the frame to put on some nice size and while he's not going to overtake L.G. for his spot, he's a guy that has some serious upside and athleticism at the TE spot to potentially be another weapon. He's had two good spring periods in a row and is getting bigger. I was joking with JohnBoy about Larry Pettis and telling him that he needs to make sure he comes in and works his butt off because he's not just going to take Maxwell's spot and it should be interesting as to who gets the nod when Green is gone.

12. Default Re: VERTICAL JUMP

Yes but the toe is the last place to touch the ground as you jump and the heel is the first place to land---ergo you are measuring the toe when leaving and the heel when arriving---foot size doesn't matter!!!! And just think that the larger foot needs more of a distance to go!!!!! VERY INTERESTING!!!!

Thread Information