NASHVILLE - Orien Greene has been to four NCAA Tournaments, two with Florida and two with Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns, and there's a theme for the veteran guard.

"This is my fourth NCAA, and I've seen everything but the second and third round," Greene said before Thursday's regional practice at the Gaylord Entertainment Center.

"It seems like we get pushed out every time by the second and third round."

Fellow Cajun senior junior Tiras Wade, meanwhile, was basking in the warmth of his first NCAA experience after transferring from East Tennessee State and sitting out last year's postseason run by Louisiana.

"It feels good to be starting instead of watching," Wade said. "I still haven't gotten the butterflies yet, but I'm looking forward to it."

First-year head coach Robert Lee is here in a different role than his job as an assistant in the past, and although he's enjoying the moment he is conceding nothing.

"It's a real honor for my team to be here," Lee said. "We're deserving of where we are right now. Being here (in his first year) is definitely what we planned on."

Lee, who was asked if his middle initial was "E.", was pleased with the respect shown his team by the Cardinals on Thursday.

"I hope he (Louisville coach Rick Pitino) sees what I see," Lee said. "He sees that we have experience and have talent, and that we do have capable players.

"If we don't turn the ball over an enormous amount of times, if we defend their 3-point shooters, we've got a chance."

Count former Louisiana Ragin' Cajun point guard Eric Mouton among those who are pulling for coach Robert Lee to spring an upset over Louisville here today in the NCAA Tournament.

"I'd like to say how impressed I am with the job Robert Lee has done this year," said Mouton, who helped Louisiana to its last NCAA victory 13 years ago over Oklahoma.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
bbrown@theadvertiser.com