Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Football traditions?

UL Football Football traditions?

I know of the recently started Victory Run, what are some others?

2. Default

"old" University of Louisiana traditions.

The 101st anniversary of Louisiana football is not to late to start NEW traditions at Louisiana. Nor is it too late to revive old ones.

jmo

There used to be BonFires before homecoming. And thanks to hurricane Lili we have a lot of wood this year.

Here was a special on CANNONS on the floor of the Swamp going off when UL would score were an old game time tradition.

I would like to see both brought back, but I have no clue as to what happened to the cannon, but we have wood hint hint.

1960. Tradition

1973. Tradition

UL Football

"We told them that the players were very impressed by the people who showed up early for the cajun walk. I loved seeing the expressions on their face when their name was called. They also knew that one day that there would be "lots and lots" of people out there to show their support."
    Is this new? When is it done and where?

UL Football Cajun Walk

CajunWalk started (3) years ago for the home games.

1:30 for 4:00PM games;
    4:30 for 7:00PM games:

The team walks in warm ups from the middle of
    Reinhart Dr. (mid track stadium) to the Athletic
    Complex. It would be GREAT if we could get 500
    folks or so, more the better to be there for this
    week. Please pass it on to ALL CAJUN FAITHFUL.

Thanks, CTB

GEAUX CAJUNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Bob, this is the kind of info that needs to get out to the fans. I wonder how many students know about this? How many fans? This is how traditions get started and would be a good way for the fans to get up close and help fire the team up before the game. I love it. Wish I had know about it when I was down there.

It seems we have some "new" traditions in the making, with the Cajun Walk, Victory Run and pre-game show by the UL Band.

Now they have to be hyped and the public informed. I may have missed 1 home game between the 94 to 98 football season, not once did I hear of a pre-game show by the band. I don't know what the answer is but I feel the promotion of these events should begin with the SGA/the Vermilion and the AA. Current students and graduates need to be informed and encouraged to come to these events (i.e. pre-game give aways or whatever it takes to get people involved). If students and alumni start getting informed then the word spreads as (hopefully) more and more people start to get involved. The people of Lafayette, Louisiana have a wonderful gift in UL and for the most part seem to take it for granted (as do the alumni at times). It is easy to support a winning team(s) but it takes true character to support and help build a winning program. We have a great baseball & softball programs, good men's basktball program, and improving football, volleyball and soccer teams (hopefully we can add women's basketball to this list). We can be great at all of them if we support our school and get involved, the greatest tradition of all.

One tradition I would like to see come back is our old scripted "Cajuns" helment. I do not like this year's helment or the previous version. One change I would make to our "traditional" Cajuns helment is to outline the Cajuns in black and make the writing solid white.

I Didn't Know They Have That Walk Before The Game. Thanks For The Info I'll Make Sure I'm There. It Really Would Be Nice If The Band Lead Them Down Reinhart To The Athletic Complex. Thanks Again!

UL Football

When Nathan and I were there for his visitation with the team, they made a point to take us to see it. The tailgaters really enjoyed it. It was very impressive. Not like Ole Miss' let, but harder to do down a street compared to thru the grove.

The location of the fieldhouse & tunnel make it dificult to do the walk right. At Auburn, the Tiger walk is from the football complex to the stadium, about two blocks through the tailgate area, in uniform as they go for warm-up. At Tennessee, it's done the same way, right through the middle of campus. But however it's done, it's a great tradition & something the fans & team look forward to.

10. Default

Southern Miss has done this for several years now (the Eagle Walk), and it has grown to be a popular pregame event. Given time, I'm sure this will become a strong part of the Cajun football tradition.

UL Football Cajun Walk

This was posted on the Delphi Forum thought some of you may be interested, sounds great.

To all the REAL CAJUN FANS
    Come to the “Cajun Walk” on Saturday at 4:30 at Cajun Field. The players arrive by bus at the track stadium and walk to the locker room. They will stroll through a mob of a crowd, slapping hands, and getting “pumped” for the game. Be sure to call their names and watch for their smiles!

Bring your kids - Bring your momma - Bring your date - Then enjoy the tailgaiting and the music. Show the players you’re a - Real Ragin Cajun Fan and then look for a VICTORY on Saturday night.

IF YOU CARE, BE THERE!

12. Default Start of a new tradition?

I noticed that after the win against Idaho tonight the Cajun players went over to the student side and did the high five with students standing along the railing of the bottom row, just as they did after the NMSU win. What an awesome sight! I hope the players continue to do this. It would be really great if it became a UL tradition. It lets both groups show their appreciation. I love it!

And I might add that on the televised NMSU game, it looked really cool on TV as the camera's parting shot!

13. Default

Actually, they have been doing this for the last few years. The earliest I can remember Baldwin's last year. I think it is an AWESOME tradition. It's fun just to watch the team and students have so much excitement.

Ragin' Cajuns

I don't know how long they have been doing it recently, but when I was a student in the early late 80's and early 90's, the players did it after some of their wins. I agree that it is great for both players and students. I know I appreciated it at the time, because I always worked as hard as the players, cheering them on.

GEAUX CAJUNS

Mr Mitchell did it often in his Senior season.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information