Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 . LastLast

Thread: Campus Construction

Default Re: Campus Expansions

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Not a weird question at all.

Typically either fiberglass batt or blown in. I know they are using batts in the floors and ceilings on the OK Allen project. I would suspect they would use fiberglass between floors to reduce sound transmission. They might use blown in cellulose for the walls because it goes in fairly quickly and is treated with Borax that acts as a fire and critter retardant.
    To bad they will not use foam. Huge advantages all the way around if done correctly. Used it recently on my house and do not regret the additional money for it.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Campus Expansions

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    _ To bad they will not use foam. Huge advantages all the way around if done correctly. Used it recently on my house and do not regret the additional money for it. _
    Stupid question but, the cellulose is not the same as the foam you used?

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Stupid question but, the cellulose is not the same as the foam you used?
    Not even close. The foam expands and acts as an air barrier. I spent a lot of years reseraching the stuff before using it. It is gaining traction slowly in the South. It is applied on the roof line and not the ceiling and obviously to all exterior walls. I can walk into my attic in the midde of the summer and it won't be more than eighty degrees. It is mold resistant and bugs and rodents hate the stuff. As a bonus kids allergies went down significantly. Cellulose and most loose fill insulation will become airborne at some point. If you have dust problems in your house see if that dust is the same color as the loose fill insulation in your attic? By the way R-values don't mean much when it comes to foam but that is a long conversation.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Campus Expansions

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    _ Not even close. The foam expands and acts as an air barrier. I spent a lot of years reseraching the stuff before using it. It is gaining traction slowly in the South. It is applied on the roof line and not the ceiling and obviously to all exterior walls. I can walk into my attic in the midde of the summer and it won't be more than eighty degrees. It is mold resistant and bugs and rodents hate the stuff. As a bonus kids allergies went down significantly. Cellulose and most loose fill insulation will become airborne at some point. If you have dust problems in your house see if that dust is the same color as the loose fill insulation in your attic? By the way R-values don't mean much when it comes to foam but that is a long conversation. _
    Thanks for the info. Can you recommend someone local? I need to have some work done and all your points make it a very good choice. Is the price a lot more than normal insulation? I suspect it would pay for itself over time; I just want to see what type of timeline payoff we are looking at.

Quick question is Taft going to be a male, female or co-ed dorm.

6. Default Re: Campus Expansions

Quote Originally Posted by playincajun View Post
    _ Quick question is Taft going to be a male, female or co-ed dorm. _
    This is an important for heads and lengths----ahh shower heads and their length from the floor----I remember my first shower in a girls dorm---H2O started at the Pecs region!!!!

Quick question is Taft going to be a male, female or co-ed dorm.
    I think all the new dorms will be coed.

8. Default Re: Campus Expansions

_ Quick question is Taft going to be a male, female or co-ed dorm. _
    Coed. The Conference Center just got renovated and became coed. Some floors are male, others are female, and they can't mix after a certain time. There has to be more male options. Currently, the only exclusively male dorm is Stokes, and it's decrepit. There's five dorms exclusively for females, and they're much, much better. They have to make more attractive and affordable options for guys to stay on campus.

Work on Taft Street dorm as of April 16, 2011. I think they will officially call this dorm Baker dorm. Roof shingles are on this side of the building. Foundation work is continuing on Tulane Ave. Dorm.

april-16

North End of Taft Dorm. They are starting to dress up the ground around the dorm in preparation for scaffolding to place brick veneer.

taft-north

Middle of Taft Street Dorm

taft-middle

South end of Taft Street Dorm
    taft-south

Installing a window. I think they will get pretty good at this considering all the windows that need to be installed.

window

Default Campus Construction

The old thread is showing not valid so I will start a new one

Work on Taft Street dorm as of April 16, 2011. I think they will officially call this building Baker dorm. Roof shingles are on this side of the building. The dorm is completely skinned in OSB and they are a bout 50% finished with the Building wrap. Foundation work is continuing on Tulane Ave. Dorm.

april-16

North End of Taft Dorm. They are starting to dress up the ground around the dorm in preparation for scaffolding to place brick veneer.

taft-north

Middle of Taft Street Dorm

taft-middle

South end of Taft Street Dorm

taft-south

Installing a window. I think they will get pretty good at this considering all the windows that need to be installed.

window

Default Re: Campus Construction

Parking garage as of April 16, 2011. almost out of the ground with the foundation.

parking-garage-4-16

West first level ramp of parking garage

west-ramp

Backfilling around the elevator shaft at the south east corner. The side opposite the worker operating the whacker packer will be the southern extent of the wall.

backfill

One of the last footings for the parking garage. It is on the opposite side of the building from the location of the photo above

last-footing

UL flag getting beat up in the wind. The flag is on the crane being used at the parking garage.

ul-flag

12. Default Re: Campus Construction

Thanks.

I'll get the other thread back up ssoon.
    igeaux.mobi

Work on Baker (Taft) continues to progress nicely. All the windows are in. The scafolding is up to start brick veneer on the north end. The foundation Tulane Ave dorm is progressing also. They have placed the foundation for one of the stair wells ahead of everything else it is about 75% complete.

april-22

North end of Baker (Taft) Hall. The boxes stockpiled in the lower right are for plumbing fixtures. The sounds of screw guns attaching sheet rock can be heard.

taft-north

Middle section of Baker (Taft). They finally removed the band directors tower (I guess they got tired of moving around it). It's laying on the ground next to Taft Street.

taft-middle

South end of Baker (Taft) Hall

taft-south

Parking Garage as of April 22, 2011. Starting to erect precast concrete tilt up sections. The last footing constructed is in the lower left hand corner.

parking-garage-april-22

Precast concrete tilt up panels starting to be installed. These are the panels stockpiled at the corner of Congress and Bertrand.

tilt-up

The dark lines on the concrete ramp are screw jack bracing to hold the precast concrete panels in place while they are being attached to the foundation.

screw-jack-bracing

I know its just pictures of construction and descriptions that I don't always 100% understand, but for some reason I'm absolutely hypnotized by these updates and I get really excited every time a new one comes up.

Thanks again Helmut.

Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 . LastLast

Thread Information