Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst . 50 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 LastLast

Thread: Campus Construction

Default Re: Campus Construction

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    They have been playing around with that project for over a year. It was nothing special. It makes you wonder why.
    ??? I totally disagree. That area is one of the most unique on our campus, what with the lake, etc. I think this cleans it up greatly, makes it much more functional, and does so beautifully. Remember what it looked like just a few years ago: the eye-sore buildings, old street lamps, crappy plastic thingys blocking u-turns, and a unkempt lake. Now all of those issues are fixed.

2. Default Re: Campus Construction

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    ??? I totally disagree. That area is one of the most unique on our campus, what with the lake, etc. I think this cleans it up greatly, makes it much more functional, and does so beautifully. Remember what it looked like just a few years ago: the eye-sore buildings, old street lamps, crappy plastic thingys blocking u-turns, and a unkempt lake. Now all of those issues are fixed.
    I must have misunderstood.

I took what HelmutVII to say was it was along the lines of nothing complicated to build, why did it take so long?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I must have misunderstood.

I took what HelmutVII to say was it was along the lines of nothing complicated to build, why did it take so long?
    Oh.I guess I might have misread that. Apologies if so.

FWIW, I think that it is all these 'little things' that Dr. S is doing for the campus that is so great. While the intersection there was far from derelict, it really needed some touching up. But they went much further than thatnow this area adds so much curb-appeal to the campus. Certainly a far cry from where we have been before his arrival, where campus appearance was a very low priority.when it existed at all.

Although I'll also say, given all the huge financial strains we have been through, its a wonder we were not only able to keep the lights on, but also grew stronger in enrollment, etc.

What they did was great. My statement about it being nothing special was there was nothing in the project that was difficult to construct. Some drainage and concrete flat work. DUH. Nothing that they did should have caused this project to take over a year to build. I saw it weekly and from week to week there appeared to be very little progress done. Almost as if there was just one guy working on the project.

What they did was great. My statement about it being nothing special was there was nothing in the project that was difficult to construct. Some drainage and concrete flat work. DUH. Nothing that they did should have caused this project to take over a year to build. I saw it weekly and from week to week there appeared to be very little progress done. Almost as if there was just one guy working on the project.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification.sorry that I misread your response.

Did you happen to notice that there are ~5 pallets of pavers left on Hebrard, across from Bittle? I wonder what these are formaybe left overs from the main project? Can't be for the Walk of Honor, because that is continuing on McKinley, in front of the U. I tend to think they will be paving around the picnic arealooks like they have started with some site prep there.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.sorry that I misread your response.

Did you happen to notice that there are ~5 pallets of pavers left on Hebrard, across from Bittle? I wonder what these are formaybe left overs from the main project? Can't be for the Walk of Honor, because that is continuing on McKinley, in front of the U. I tend to think they will be paving around the picnic arealooks like they have started with some site prep there.
    Yes I saw that. What ever they do with that material it won't be much. It looks like a lot of stuff but once you start to do something it's not much.

Yes I saw that. What ever they do with that material it won't be much. It looks like a lot of stuff but once you start to do something it's not much.
    Yeah, due to the small amount my first thought was just left-overs, and still might be, but it also might be just enough to do some paving around the oak tree where the picnic tables/vet memorial are.

Also, I forgot to add that I really like the choice in planting they chose for this project: not sure what trees they are, but the ones in front of Moody will provide a nice, shady spot therewith plenty of benches/low walls along it to congregate on. And the Little Gem magnolias on the U side are a great tree, and the ones they planted are great specimens. Plus they have some bald cypress trees right outside Cypress Lake.
    Once all the landscaping matures it will make for a truly nice space.

I think the run down weight room and parking and transit building was way nicer lol

They have removed all of the excess material, brick and other items for the Moody hall Plaza project. It looks like they are just about wrapped up. A little dress up maybe pland some grass and the job is finished.

Well, it’s not a uniform or band thread, but……

New seating added in Cypress Lake Plaza

The newly completed brick border (to match the rest of the border) around Cypress Lake, from Burke-Hawthorne to Cypress Lake Plaza

And I am happy to see they recently re-painted the old ‘Southwestern’ sign above EKL. For those unaware, this sign originally was above the former ‘Southwestern Field’ gym, which was located where McLaurin Gym is now located…which was right next to the ‘Southwestern Field,’ which was located where the student U is now located, which was replaced by McNaspy Stadium.

They also added new signage for EKL. The oak trees may make it difficult to see EKL, or the ‘Southwestern,’ sign, but by god they are magnificent.

11. Default Re: Campus Construction

I love the idea of preserving the history.

That sign is great.

I was wondering when someone would mention the sign. I hope the name police won't go after it.

And I guess I posted pics of the new borders along the Lake a little too early, or consider this just an update, but they were not finished: they’ve now added really nice fencing all along the border, from the U on the Burke-Hawthorn side to the new Cypress Lake Plaza. Looks great, and gives the view, especially while driving down Hebrard, a very finished look. Something that was lacking with former ragged chain link fencing.

Looking at the lake from behind Wharton Hall

Closer view from the same location

A couple of views looking towards the U, from behind Burke-Hawthorn

Looking towards Burke-Hawthorn from Cypress Lake Plaza

They have not added fencing (at least not yet) to the portion directly behind the U

There will also be a gate into the Lake, next to the small Burke-Hawthorn parking lot, but it’s not finished yet

Great pictures, thanks for the update!

15. Default Re: Campus Construction

Great pics.

I love the brick base, wrought iron upper look.

Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst . 50 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 LastLast

Thread Information