Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 53 60 61 62 63

Thread: Campus Construction

1. Default Re: Campus Construction

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNJUDO View Post
    On another note, is that black metal fence as straight as an arrow?
    In a stiff breeze.

To your first note, I don't think this parking lot was originally intended for the space the Ragin' Cajuns Sore is occupying.

Default Re: Campus Construction

Lol. In regards to the steps they have built, when I parked I did so close to Johnston thinking the entry was along there. The slope from the lot to the building is not very steep at that section but the ground was wet so I was planning how I’d cross. When I realized where the entry was located I walked towards it and after passing the oak finally saw the steps. I realized that the entry was much steeper there so thought, ‘wow….very nice that they built some nice, sturdy steps to safely pass over that section.’

Don’t get me wrong, I think something even nicer and more permanent can/will be built, but for now it is all very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    You know, the discussions of the Quad area reminded me of one of my favorite pics of the school that I thought I would share: an aerial photo from circa 1939 showing a good bit of the then campus, and especially the Quad being built. In the pic Broussard, Stephens and Mouton are being constructed, and there is still what was the men dorms called the “Barracks” where Doucet will eventually be built. Also, no Arcade yet.

Other points of interest in the pic:

1. The “Dining Hall/Grand Stand” which was the boundary of the Quad for many years. Also Brown Ayres, the old Art/Architecture building is where Moody Hall is now located.
    2. Cypress Grove, not Cypress Lake.
    3. The old “Southwestern Field” in the same location of the current U; also, the old “Southwestern” sign currently hanging above EKL Gym was originally from the gym that used to be next to SW Field, where McLaughlin Gym is now.
    4. EKL gym is just recently completed, and looking pretty lonely lol
    5. The Heymann House, now the Alumni house, is also very new, and is bordered by Girard Woods, not Girard Park.

I guess I like the pic because it gives a very good view of how far we (UL and Lafayette) have come in a relatively short period of time.
    Looking at the photo I noticed that the Oak trees at the Johnston/University intersection are older then the Oaks along St. Mary, Mc Kinley and along University from the Boulevard to McKinley. The Three Sisters appear to be not the same age. (The one closest to Girard Hall looks younger).

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Looking at the photo I noticed that the Oak trees at the Johnston/University intersection are older then the Oaks along St. Mary, Mc Kinley and along University from the Boulevard to McKinley. The Three Sisters appear to be not the same age. (The one closest to Girard Hall looks younger).
    Correct: although now it might be kind of hard to tell since they are now full grown, the Century Oaks are the the oldest, and the 3 sister's are next. The tree's along St Mary, and also McKinley were 'only' planted when the campus expanded into those areas, in the 30's and 40's.

Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 53 60 61 62 63

Thread Information