Page 61 of 63 FirstFirst . 51 58 59 60 61 62 63 LastLast

Thread: Campus Construction

1. Default Re: Construction on Student Side of CF

In other construction related news, new fencing has been put up around Cypress Lake. Keep the gators in or people out?

Default Re: Construction on Student Side of CF

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherHebert View Post
    In other construction related news, new fencing has been put up around Cypress Lake. Keep the gators in or people out?
    Yep, they sure did and it looks really good. They actually tore down the old chain-link fence from the Burke-Hawthorne area are all the way to the new Cypress Lake Plaza and replaced it with a brick base, to match the other areas, and then added the new fencing on to of it, all the way aroundminus the area around the U. I took some pics of it recently that you can view on the old Construction Thread.

https://forumeus.com/showthread.php/.69#post1273069

As a side note, since the system upgrade on RP I don't see that the "Rage Page" functions the same: it used to show me all the threads that have new posts, wherever they were on the site. It does not seem to do that anymore, but maybe I just don't have the settings right.

3. Default Re: Campus Construction

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post

I've been a couple of times and have not seen the Alligator gate closed yet.

Default Re: Campus Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I've been a couple of times and have not seen the Alligator gate closed yet.
    Yep.I was there Friday and it has not changed from this pic.

This thread has be going on for over ten years. Oh My.

For the life of me I can't figure out why this project took so long. There was nothing to be done that was extraordinary from a construction standpoint. A little bit of drainage, concrete flat work and masonry work.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    For the life of me I can't figure out why this project took so long. There was nothing to be done that was extraordinary from a construction standpoint. A little bit of drainage, concrete flat work and masonry work.
    It was a State run project!!!!!! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Know it’s not a lot of money but may had been the issue. New fiscal year, hope it is done when freshmen arrive. Our university has come so far architecturally and beyond the last decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Know it’s not a lot of money but may had been the issue. New fiscal year, hope it is done when freshmen arrive. Our university has come so far architecturally and beyond the last decade or so.
    Boy, you ain’t kidding…if you ride around and look closely it is really incredible. Living here and seeing it every day, we tend to be numb to the changes, but Dr Savoie would be one our greatest presidents ever if the only thing he had done was the campus improvements. Of course he’s done much more than this.

There is not a ‘shameful’ area left on campus: from the old eyesore buildings along Hebrard (now a beautiful meeting place/green area) to the old maintenance sheds on s. Campus dr, to the new apt complex on Lewis (and no more ugly strip mall), everything looks 1000% better than it ever has. The exterior of the buildings are kept clean, new signage on each of them, new bike racks everywhere, great landscaping, etc., etc.

My only beef is the stretch along Johnston, from university to St Mary. You know, the area seen by everyone driving in Lafayette…it really needs a lot of help. The sidewalks are small and crappy, what landscaping there is needs to be torn up and redone, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    My only beef is the stretch along Johnston, from university to St Mary. You know, the area seen by everyone driving in Lafayette…it really needs a lot of help. The sidewalks are small and crappy, what landscaping there is needs to be torn up and redone, etc.
    That area could really use a facelift. As far as construction projects, I feel there should always something going. We can not wait until buildings are in disrepair to upgrade or do basic maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    That area could really use a facelift. As far as construction projects, I feel there should always something going. We can not wait until buildings are in disrepair to upgrade or do basic maintenance.
    Possibly the architecture department could do a SIMPLE concept and float the design out to the media and see if if sticks, maybe get a federal grant.

I am glad to see they stopped releasing to the media stuff like the tram to Maurice. I think at one time the department came out with bus shelters that were incorporated by the city. Practical designs give credence to the program.

Trams and turning Johnston Street into a boulevard were just dreams or too much weed.

It’s ironic that the ugliest building now on campus is the architecture building!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    The problem is that the buildings, except for Doucet Hall have no front. They were designed to face the quad. The other problem, if you can call it that, the view of the buildings is blocked by the Oak trees. There is not much that can be done under the trees because of the potential harm that could do.

The Johnston street side of Girard Hall is the back of the building, Foster hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus (the bricks don't match) and has what looks like a front. Doucet has a "front" but you cant really see it from the street and Mouton hall is a generic WPA building. Most of the other area along there is parking lot.

One thing I always thought was strange was you can't see the front of Dupre Library from St. Mary because they put so much landscaping in front of it. It's like a jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    It’s ironic that the ugliest building now on campus is the architecture building!!!!
    That’s why I emphasized simple. Fletcher had issues from day one. It was a major mistake to let the building be designed by dreamers. Pretty never trumps functionality.

The irony of Fletcher is its a teaching model of what not to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    That’s why I emphasized simple. Fletcher had issues from day one. It was a major mistake to let the building be designed by dreamers. Pretty never trumps functionality.

The irony of Fletcher is its a teaching model of what not to do.
    They also ran out of money and had to leave the roof off of the middle of the building. So they had all the doors, walls and floors designed as interior materials but they were outside. It was and still is a cluster.

They eventually put a roof on it but only after some pretty severe damage to the building.

Page 61 of 63 FirstFirst . 51 58 59 60 61 62 63 LastLast

Thread Information