Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread: Campus Construction

1. Alumni Re: Campus Expansions

Thanks for letting me know!

It seems like it'd be a perfect place for a little convince store. Something that sells cigarettes, snacks and drinks, maybe even cold sandwiches and stuff. It seems like you can only get Coke products on campus, even in Follet's. With as many people that pass right there, bet somebody could make a killing.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Campus Expansions

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunbander View Post
    _ Thanks for letting me know!

It seems like it'd be a perfect place for a little convince store. Something that sells cigarettes, snacks and drinks, maybe even cold sandwiches and stuff. It seems like you can only get Coke products on campus, even in Follet's. With as many people that pass right there, bet somebody could make a killing. _
    You need to read CajunFun's article on "Bling and Blight". You are talking about going from Blight to Bling. That is not going to set well with CajunFun. Cigs, snacks and softdrinks. good Lord! You are really going to set CajunFun on fire son.

3. Alumni Re: Campus Expansions

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ You need to read CajunFun's article on "Bling and Blight". You are talking about going from Blight to Bling. That is not going to set well with CajunFun. Cigs, snacks and softdrinks. good Lord! You are really going to set CajunFun on fire son. _
    lol. I read the article on UL Today, but I didn't read too much of the comments on here. I wouldn't be offering anything that isn't available on campus!

Actually, if I have the capital to do something like that, I would, and I'd take it a step further. I see all these flyers up around school for students trying to sell old books. I'd be a "bookstore" too. I'd have a used book section. Students could leave their old books that they're trying to sell and leave their contact info with me. If somebody buys the book, I'll let the student know he can pick up his money, minus a small fee. If nobody buys the book after a semester, they can get their book back with no charge, or if they don't want it I'd give it away for free. Tell me that's not a bad idea. I'm a genius!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ lol. I read the article on UL Today, but I didn't read too much of the comments on here. I wouldn't be offering anything that isn't available on campus!

Actually, if I have the capital to do something like that, I would, and I'd take it a step further. I see all these flyers up around school for students trying to sell old books. I'd be a "bookstore" too. I'd have a used book section. Students could leave their old books that they're trying to sell and leave their contact info with me. If somebody buys the book, I'll let the student know he can pick up his money, minus a small fee. If nobody buys the book after a semester, they can get their book back with no charge, or if they don't want it I'd give it away for free. Tell me that's not a bad idea. I'm a genius! _
    It's genius entrepreneurialism. and CajunFun is going to have a cow when he reads it.

Louisiana Re: Campus Expansions

_ Thanks for letting me know!

It seems like it'd be a perfect place for a little convince store. Something that sells cigarettes, snacks and drinks, maybe even cold sandwiches and stuff. It seems like you can only get Coke products on campus, even in Follet's. With as many people that pass right there, bet somebody could make a killing. _
    Just don't try to sell po boys, because you would have trouble competing with Old Tyme across the street

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
    It was an apartment, it caught fire back in the early 90's I believe.
    I want to say late 90s, b/c I was still a student at the time.

7. Alumni Re: Campus Expansions

Quote Originally Posted by CajunPride View Post
    _ Just don't try to sell po boys, because you would have trouble competing with Old Tyme across the street _

Oh course not! haha, I wouldn't commit that blasphemy!

Lots of work today 1/29/11. Pumping concrete for perimeter footings, excavation for interior footings, more plumbing, electrical rough in all for Dorm No. 1 Dirt hauling for the new parking garage.

lots-of-work

Bancroft Demolition

bancroft

bancroft-close2

Pumping concrete for perimeter footings for Dorm No. 1. The stack of material in the foreground are "Symons forms" a metal form that they will use to for the slab.

pumping-concrete

Excavation for interior footings. Electrical rough in is being done (the gray pipes sticking up in the lower left of the photo)

footings

Replacing poor soils under the area of the old Credit Union building. the soil was full of debris. This could be a change order if they were not anticipating this. You never know what to expect when you start digging in the ground. They were hauling dirt today in anticipation of rain tomorrow.

change-order

I did notice that they had light towers on the site. Looks like they are anticipating working at night.

Lemoine is putting together a good plan and executing it well

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Campus Expansions

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    _ Back in the day the area where Griffin and Rougeou Halls are was called Little Abbeville. It was a collection of World War II buildings used to instruct those in the military V12 (I think) program. Where Fletcher Hall is, was the Baseball Field. Beyond that was the hinterlands that was married student housing, maintenance, the male dorms and Martin Dining hall. _
    the "hinterlands" also included "vet village."

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    _ Lemoine is putting together a good plan and executing it well _
    Yes they are. They also have good subs. I noticed last week that they had about 30% to 40% of the area for Dorm No. 1 covered with visqueen so it would not get too wet during the rains. If a path is muddy, they use some of the broken concrete from Bancroft to make a road. The concrete pumper truck was on a pad of broken concrete from Bancroft. If they can do something to make things progress they will do it.

This is polar opposite to the contractor building the new softball complex. That guy is a joke!!! Being happy with that contractor would be the same thing as being happy with the caterer delivering food for your daughters wedding one month late, and still having to pay for it.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    _ Yes they are. They also have good subs. I noticed last week that they had about 30% to 40% of the area for Dorm No. 1 covered with visqueen so it would not get too wet during the rains. If a path is muddy, they use some of the broken concrete from Bancroft to make a road. The concrete pumper truck was on a pad of broken concrete from Bancroft. If they can do something to make things progress they will do it.

This is polar opposite to the contractor building the new softball complex. That guy is a joke!!! Being happy with that contractor would be the same thing as being happy with the caterer delivering food for your daughters wedding one month late, and still having to pay for it. _

13. Default Re: Campus Expansions

I dunno about working at night. There's a lot of residential around the site. I know that a lot of lighting got taken out when they demo'ed the Credit Union. I'm around Anglle a lot, between band (not really anymore) and my fraternity (we meet in Angelle Hall on Sunday nights). There are ALWAYS students around Angelle Hall. Everyone in the music dept has card access to the building 24/7, so there's always students practicing and I have a bunch of friends who, since the internet in the dorms suck, go to Angelle to get online. Last week, with no lights back there, it was extremely dark. I noticed earlier that they had lights installed on the corner of Angelle. The lights might simply be for safety reasons. (Also, the cameras they installed around the building might be worthless without lighting.)

Also, while getting sources for a section on UL's Wikipedia entry for the campus expansions, I found a webcam set up overlooking the work site. It's on UL's housing website:

http://housing.louisiana.edu/residence/taft-hall.shtml

_ I dunno about working at night. There's a lot of residential around the site. I know that a lot of lighting got taken out when they demo'ed the Credit Union.

Also, while getting sources for a section on UL's Wikipedia entry for the campus expansions, I found a webcam set up overlooking the work site. It's on UL's housing website:

http://housing.louisiana.edu/residence/taft-hall.shtml _
    Lack of lighting is why they brought in some light towers.

I noticed the camera too, I figured they would have a web cam.

15. Default Re: Campus Expansions

I betcha one could get a really good deal on these "slightly" used mattresses!

1-31-11

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread Information