Page 33 of 63 FirstFirst . 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 43 . LastLast

Thread: Campus Construction

Default Re: Campus Construction

Building 2 has had some dramatic progress this week. It has almost all of the roof sheeted with plywood and the plywood is almost completed felted. Exterior brick and interior work continues on building 1.

Building 1 as seen from University Ave and Hebrard Blvd Intersection. This wall got bricked this past week. They are leaving the scaffolding up so the trim carpenters can install the roof trim.

building1-1

Building 1 as seen from the front steps of the Saucier clinic. This wall had no brick last week.

building1-2

Building 1 as seen from the Student Union Service Drive. Buchanan Hall is to the rear left,

building1-3

Building 1 as seen from East University. The opening on the first floor is a door. This door is about where the entrance to old Baker-Huger Hall was. Imagine old Baker-Huger stacked on top of each other with another wing almost as big (if not bigger) to the rear of it. These buildings are big.

building1-4

View of alley between the two new buildings as seen from East University Ave. The Student Union and Wharton Hall can be seen to the far rear of the middle of the photo.

1and2-2

View of the alley between the two new buildings as seen from the Student Union Service drive. (Looking the opposite direction of the photo above). University Ave. is to the rear of the photo.

1and2-1

Windowless Randolph Hall

randolph

Building 2 as seen from the Student Union Service drive. Harris Hall is to the extreme right.

building2-1

Building 2 as seen from the side of McLauren Gym (Student Union is to the rear of the camera). Harris Hall is to the right.

building2-2

Building 2 as seen from the sidewalk in front of McLauren Gym. Harris hall is to the right. Building 1 is to the rear.

building2-3

Putting the felts on the roof of building 1. Harris Hall is to the left. As seen from the east fire escape of Harris Hall. They are continuing to make progress on the interior renovation of Harris Hall. A very nice sturdy old building.

building2-harris

Building 2 as seen from the McKinley University Ave intersection. McKinley is to the rear of the camera and University Ave is to the right.

building2-4

Manlift sunk to its axles. They must have believed the salesman. They will have a time getting out on Monday as it is raining right now and probably will continue through most of the night. It might be there a while.

atv-not

2. Default Re: Campus Construction

Can anybody put on here the sketching of the Village and the student union---I hope that none of the restaurants or signage has zero tacky look to it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Can anybody put on here the sketching of the Village and the student union---I hope that none of the restaurants or signage has zero tacky look to it!!!!
    Is this what you're looking for?

http://ullafayettemasterplan.wordpress.com/master-plan/

4. Default Re: Campus Construction

Not quite----I had heard that from the old rose garden to the union there would be restaurants and coffee shops and little stores and a walk/path way effect which would accommodate all the dorm and neighborhood students for lite meals and snacks, drug store items and small grocery needs----I just fell in love with the concept!!!

We lucked out and got only a little over 2 inches of rain on Monday March 12 (as opposed to the 15 plus inches that Carencro got) so they were able to get almost a full week of work in. They shut down at 3:00 P.M. on Sunday and found myself locked out.

This is building 1 from the University Ave Hebrard Blvd intersection. The Oak trees are getting new leaves and they are not as thick as usual.

Building1-1

Building 1 from the Saucier clinic front steps. the brick work is completed here. I guess another week or two and the brick work on this building will be finished.

Building1-2

Building 1 from the Student Union service drive.

building1-4

Basket weave brick work over University Ave entrance to building 1

building1-5

Alley between the two new buildings from the Student Union Service drive. University Ave is to the rear of the photo.

building1-3

Alley between the two new buildings as seen from University Ave. Student Union and Wharton Hall are to the rear of the photo.

alley-2

Building 2 from the Student Union service drive. It looks like the roof is finished on this building. There will be no more roof work on this project.

building2-1

Building 2 from the rear of the Student Union. The view from the Harris Hall fire escape is not too good any more, the building is too close.

building2-2

Building 2 as seen from the sidewalk in front of McLauren Gym.

building2-3

Building 2 from the University Ave McKinley street intersection. Getting ready for brick.

building2-4

Gutted Randolph Hall

randolph-1

Screw anchors. I haven't figured out what these will be used for.

screw-anchors

No photos this week. They are getting to the point of have more inside work than outside work so the visible progress was not that dramatic this week. A couple of days of rain kind of put the damper on things.

Less rain this past week allowed for more outside work to be done.

The usual starting point. University Ave facade of building 1 from Hebrard Blvd intersection. They started cleaning bricks at this corner and were working to McKinley street. the only exterior work left to do is caulking and a little painting.

rose-1

Building 1 from the steps of old Saucier clinic. They cut some trees down along Boucher so you can see the buildings better this week. Ironic that the trees were cut down the week the Arbor Day foundation placed the University on the "Tree Campus USA" list. Trees removed would have been to the left and right of this photograph.

rose-2

Alley way between the two new buildings as seen from the Student Union Service drive. Removed trees on left and right of drive allowed for a better view this week.

rose-4

Building 1 as seen from the front lawn of McLauren Gym. Again, a better view without the trees. Buchanan Hall is to the rear.

rose-5

Building 2 as seen from the front steps of Saucier Clinic. This is a view not seen before because of removed trees.

rose-3

University Ave facade of building 2 as seen from McKinley Street intersection.

rose-6

Building 1 alley facade as seen from University Ave

rose-7

Building 2 alley facade as seen from University Ave .

rose-10

University Ave facade of Building 1. The middle of the photo is the old drive to the front of old Bake-Huger. The door to building 1 is about where the entrance to old Baker-Huger was. The brick on this part of the building has been cleaned. This is pretty close to what the finished building will look like (plus landscaping of course)

rose-9

Cleaned brick on the right and soon to be cleaned brick on the left. The guy with the hard hat in the lower left is getting ready to go up in the man lift to start cleaning after a break for lunch.

rose-8

Randolph Hall. You can't see it but the upstairs is starting to get the partition walls installed.

Randolph-1

Windowless Harris Hall. They were working on the fire sprinkler system today. I guess you can see where they got the inspiration for the main entrance facade for the new residence halls.

Harris-1

I have always loved the architecture of Randolph and Harris halls. More so Harris as it looks like a classic college residence hall look.

This is the view from the driveway to my home. You can just see the window holes in Randolph Hall through the lower branches of the oak tree to the left. The oak tress hide the huge new building behind. I am curious to see how the area changes when they occupy the buildings.

rose-11

8. Default Re: Campus Construction

I love that the new residence halls are taking their cue from Harris Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I love that the new residence halls are taking their cue from Harris Hall.
    Recruiting in the academic world is about to get really fun. I pity the fool trying to get kids to go elsewhere. And when the Student Union is done And when Adjunct pay gets raised. OK, I got carried away.

They never stop. Working on the University Ave facade of building 1 on Easter Sunday. Guy on malift closest to camera is cleaning up mortar splatter and other things around window openings. The guys in the other manlift are caulking and weather sealing around window openings. This side of building 1 is almost totally weather proofed.

building-1-1

The caulking crew. the rolls of material on the basket are foam backer rod used to back up the caulking.

building1-4

Building 1in background and building2 in the foreground as seen from a side entrance to McLauren Gym.

rose-1

Building 1 alley facade as seen from the service drive to the student union. The sheet rock on the second to fourth floor has been finished. They have delivered literally tons of sheet rock to the site over the last few weeks and they are not finished yet.

building1-2

Building 1 alley facade as seen from University Ave. Split concrete columns are stored near the main entrance.

building1-3

Building 2 alley facade as seen from the student union service drive.

building2-1

Building 2 as seen from the side walk in the front of McLauren Gym

building2-2

Building 2 alley facade as seen from University Ave. Student Union, Wharton Hall and a portion of the old Saucier clinic are seen in the background.

building2-3

Rotten facia board discovered on Harris Hall when they placed a new roof on the building.

harris-1

11. Default nothing else

you are right

12. Default Re: Campus Construction

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    They never stop. Working on the University Ave facade of building 1 on Easter Sunday. Guy on malift closest to camera is cleaning up mortar splatter and other things around window openings. The guys in the other manlift are caulking and weather sealing around window openings. This side of building 1 is almost totally weather proofed.

building-1-1

The caulking crew. the rolls of material on the basket are foam backer rod used to back up the caulking.

building1-4

Building 1in background and building2 in the foreground as seen from a side entrance to McLauren Gym.

rose-1

Building 1 alley facade as seen from the service drive to the student union. The sheet rock on the second to fourth floor has been finished. They have delivered literally tons of sheet rock to the site over the last few weeks and they are not finished yet.

building1-2

Building 1 alley facade as seen from University Ave. Split concrete columns are stored near the main entrance.

building1-3

Building 2 alley facade as seen from the student union service drive.

building2-1

Building 2 as seen from the side walk in the front of McLauren Gym

building2-2

Building 2 alley facade as seen from University Ave. Student Union, Wharton Hall and a portion of the old Saucier clinic are seen in the background.

building2-3

Rotten facia board discovered on Harris Hall when they placed a new roof on the building.

harris-1
    ------------Great that they found this wood when they did ----I am sure it saved a lot of money later!!!

As much as I enjoy the photo documentation of progress, I have to say I'm looking forward to the day when they are finished as well.

Maybe we can then start a couple of new oneshmmmmmmmmmmaybe the new student union construction & the new baseball grandstand construction.

I too, am looking forward to them being finished. It would be nice to have a little peace and quiet on the weekends. The almost constant sound of motion announciators is getting old. With at least two dozen pieces of equipment on the site and moving all the time it gets to a point that it's about the only thing you hear. I can't see how this can be a safety measure because if you hear them all the time then they are almost useless. I keep telling myself the more often they work the quicker they finish.

My neighbor has two scarlet Macaws, one of them has learned to mimic the motion announciator sound so I guess the affects of construction will linger. It's OK though, because the bird does not do it all the time and it is kind of amusing.

Student Union Construction is supposed to start sometimes this fall, so this thread could live on or morph into "Student Union Construction". Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    My neighbor has two scarlet Macaws, one of them has learned to mimic the motion announciator sound so I guess the affects of construction will linger. It's OK though, because the bird does not do it all the time and it is kind of amusing.
    From the pics that you say are from your driveway I can tell what neighbor you're referring too. I would often ride my bike that way when I was going to and from class. Those dang Macaws would always scare the crap out of me when I would turn on Gordon. First time I went that way I thought there was someone yelling at me on the other side of the fence. They have great mimicking skills.

Page 33 of 63 FirstFirst . 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 43 . LastLast

Thread Information