Page 28 of 63 FirstFirst . 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 38 . LastLast

Thread: Campus Construction

Default Re: Campus Construction

The common area between Baker and Huger. Huger to the left and Baker to the right.

baker-huger

Looks like they are just about finished with the interior of Huger.

An orphaned sharp shooter. Almost brand new.

rose-6

A stake to mark geotechnical boring number 10 for the design of the new Student Union Complex. This will be used for the design of the foundation.

rose-8

A feathered friend at Cypress Lake trying to stay warm and maybe find some lunch.

keeping-warm

Nice shots as always! Interesting to see some activity starting on the Student Union. Glad you threw in a little scenery from the swamp! That orphaned sharp shooter didn't find a new home today, did it??? LOL! Keep up the great work!

3. Default Re: Campus Construction

Thanks I always say "no egrets'
    unless they are really egrets.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    Nice shots as always! Interesting to see some activity starting on the Student Union. Glad you threw in a little scenery from the swamp! That orphaned sharp shooter didn't find a new home today, did it??? LOL! Keep up the great work!
    The student Union construction will start after the completion of the Rose Garden Residence Halls. I imagine somebody showed up this morning (Monday) looking for the Sharp Shooter hoping to find it before he got an _____ chewing.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    The student Union construction will start after the completion of the Rose Garden Residence Halls. I imagine somebody showed up this morning (Monday) looking for the Sharp Shooter hoping to find it before he got an _____ chewing.
    Is the Student Union building going to be torn down or just renovated? I believe it is supposed to surround the swamp and we get rid of the eye sore buildings that currently exist. If it is torn down, what about the book store during construction?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Is the Student Union building going to be torn down or just renovated? I believe it is supposed to surround the swamp and we get rid of the eye sore buildings that currently exist. If it is torn down, what about the book store during construction?
    T-Joe told me that part of the building on each side would be torn down as part of this project and the remainder will be renovated and incorporated into the new sections. It will look (and function!) completely differently than it does now. Can't wait to see it finished, but it will still be a while off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    From what I understand this is what will happen:

The counseling and testing currently housed in one of the eyesores is going to move into the Renovated OK Allen Hall.
    Student health services will move to the Renovated OK Allen Hall also.
    Parking and transit was in one of the eyesores and has moved to the new parking garage.

The two eysores on the boulevard and the old clinic will then be essentially vacated. They will move some services from the existing Student Union into these buildings during the renovation. After the renovation, everybody moves into the Union and the eysores will be torn down along with the Saucier clinic. I spoke to one of the Architects on the design team and he is lobbying to keep the building with the balcony over Cypress Lake. (I think this is Guillory Hall) I am in favor of that as long as they renovate it. EVERY TIME I go in campus (which is often) there is somebody feeding the fish or just sitting there drinking a soft drink or a cup of coffee. Children love it and it is a destination for parents with young kids. It is very nice and is the only thing on any of the four buildings in the area that has anything going for it.

Are you talking about the old bowling alley that has the grating over the lake?

Yep that is the balcony from Guillory, what used to be a bowling alley. The only thing that sucks about closing Guillory is that is the only current 24 hour study hall. Hopefully another area will be designated for that use.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    From what I understand this is what will happen:

The counseling and testing currently housed in one of the eyesores is going to move into the Renovated OK Allen Hall.
    Student health services will move to the Renovated OK Allen Hall also.
    Parking and transit was in one of the eyesores and has moved to the new parking garage.

The two eysores on the boulevard and the old clinic will then be essentially vacated. They will move some services from the existing Student Union into these buildings during the renovation. After the renovation, everybody moves into the Union and the eysores will be torn down along with the Saucier clinic. I spoke to one of the Architects on the design team and he is lobbying to keep the building with the balcony over Cypress Lake. (I think this is Guillory Hall) I am in favor of that as long as they renovate it. EVERY TIME I go in campus (which is often) there is somebody feeding the fish or just sitting there drinking a soft drink or a cup of coffee. Children love it and it is a destination for parents with young kids. It is very nice and is the only thing on any of the four buildings in the area that has anything going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kelbow7 View Post
    Yep that is the balcony from Guillory, what used to be a bowling alley. The only thing that sucks about closing Guillory is that is the only current 24 hour study hall. Hopefully another area will be designated for that use.
    By the time they are ready to close the study hall in Guillory they will probably be finished with the renovation of Randolph and Buchanan. They will probably move the study hall into Randolph Hall because I think I read somewhere that it was to be repurposed as a student services building. (I may be wrong though as I am relying on memory). Harris Hall will be the only old dorm renovated and still used as a dorm. They may move some of the Student Union offices into Buchanan during the renovation of the current Student Union building. Once this first phase of construction is finished it will allow for much more flexibility of space planning because Buchanan is currently not used at all and, while not large, is a good sized building.

Landscaping has begun around Huger Hall and work continues in the common areas between Baker and Huger. They have been moving furniture into the building for the last several days.

Landscaping of the front of Huger Hall

huger-1

Common area is starting to take shape.

huger-2

Landscape materials stored against Baker Hall

huger-3

More landscape materials stored in the parking lot behind Hamilton Hall, I saw some sasanquas in the supply. It looks like they may be going back to some of the historical landscape materials that were on campus. (Yaaaa)

huger-4

Patio furniture being assembled and readied for installation.

huger-5

I will post more of the Rose Garden tomorrow. I took a trip to New Orleans yesterday and I have had enough for now.

I'm so proud of what UL is doing to improve the school. UL is becoming the nicest campus in the state. Should really start attracting more and more quality students.

Rose Garden Construction continues to progress.

Second floor framing for the first Rose Garden Residence Hall has started.

rose-4

Second Rose Garden Residence Hall. View from the North Harris Hall fire escape. Preping for concrete slab. University Ave is to the right rear.

rose3

Second Rose Garden residence hall as seen from the east Harris Hall fire escape. Concrete slab was placed early Thursday (12/15) morning. University Ave is to the right.

rose-2

First Rose Garden residence hall as seen from the Student Union service drive way.

rose-5

Second Rose Garden residence hall as seen from the Student Union service drive way.

rose-6

A carpenters cutting station. A mock up of the window framing is in the foreground right behind the fence. A couple of guys stay here all day cutting the jack studs and blocking.
    A stack of jack studs and blocking is behind the garbage can and the cutting table is behind that to the right.

rose-7

A Lapeyre Stair. It is a modified stair with alternating offset treads. It was originally designed by a man named J N Lapeyre. The company is from the Harahan. Originally used in the oil patch. It meets all OSHA and building codes. A stunning design that is so simple. The man was a genius. All of the conventional stars on the project are from Lapeyre

rose-8

This is a link to some info on the man and the company.

http://www.lapeyrestair.com/history.aspx

Salvaged building plaques from Bonin and Evangeline Hall. The copper awnings to the left are from Old Baker and Old Huger halls.

rose-1

View of construction from the driveway to my home.

rose-9

14. Default Re: Campus Construction

Thanks HelmutVII

Interior of Huger Hall is all but complete. They have moved furniture into the building and it looks like it's ready to go. Maybe a few minor things here and there but it's done.

This is a view of the completed building from the Taft Tulane intersection. Baker hall is to the rear.

huger-1

This is a view of the common area between Baker and Huger. They continue to fight through the rains to complete this area. I think it will be a very nice space once completed. Baker is to the right, Huger is to the left. Camera is facing Taft Street.

huger-2

Soon to be renovated Buchanan Hall. A fine old building with plenty of character.

rose-7

This building will give a nice reference marker to compare old with new.

Page 28 of 63 FirstFirst . 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 38 . LastLast

Thread Information