Page 22 of 63 FirstFirst . 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 . LastLast

Thread: Campus Construction

Default Re: Campus Construction

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    the photgraph does not do it justice. You have to be there to really take it all in.
    Meant to say this earlier but I just got home after 2 weeks of working in Ohio. Know that the pictures were greatly appreciated while I was up there.

I finally got a chance to drive by the other day and it really was impressive in person. The new dorms are large, well done, and they fit in well with the rest of campus. And the parking garage is well hidden behind the massive oaks and not overly imposing. It looks great and will continue to look great for years to come.

New Huger is still progressing nicely.

A view of New Huger from Tulane Ave

huger-tulane

New Huger Taft Street facade.

huger-taft

New huger from the rear of new Baker. New Baker is behind the camera.

huger-baker-1

Another view of new Huger from behind new Baker.

huger-baker-2

Looks like asbestos has put the brakes on demolition of the rose Garden dorms.

Evangeline Hall debris pile getting smaller.

evangeline-debris

Exploratory demolition of Bonin Hall. Might be looking for more asbestos or looking at the structure to determine demolition method.

bonin-1

Exploratory demolition of old Baker hall. Could be looking for more asbestos.

old baker1

The parking garage is open to the public except for the Credit Union office.

A view of the parking garage from the rear of Angelle Hall. The Angelle Hall auditorium is to the left.]

garage-angelle

A view of the Mc Kinley Street facade. This is the entrance next Angelle Hall auditorium which is to the right.

garage-mc-kinley

Oops. Looks like a punch list item.

oops

Almost finished renovated front of OK Allen Hall. The brick work to he left is for a planter that hides a handicapped ramp. This building will house Student health services and counseling and testing. Two services that are currently in building scheduled for demolition for the Student Union renovation.

ok-allen

Tropical Storm Lee dropped 8.5 inches of rain on the site from Friday to Sunday. These are a few photos taken on Monday September 5, 2011. Looks like Asbestos has demolition ground to a halt. Maybe we will see some progress this coming week.

This is the remains of Evangeline Hall. Buchanan Hall is to the rear Bonin Hall is to the right. Harris hall is to the rear of the camera.

evangeline-remains-2

The north end of Bonin Hall. The debris pile is pipe from Evangeline Hall

bonin-1

The Middle section of Bonin Hall.

bonin-2

The South end of Bonin Hall

bonin-3

These photos were taken from the fire escape on Harris Hall. I'm thinking this will be a good viewpoint to show weekly progress.

Construction on Huger Hall continues to progress.

North Facade of Huger Hall as seen from Tulane Avenue. Hamilton Hall is to the right.

huger-tulane-1

South facade of Huger Hall as seen from Taft Tulane intersection. It looks like they don't have the precast decorative insets (between the second and third floor windows) and they are leaving the spaces open for now.

huger-taft-1

North Facade of Huger Hall. Hamilton Hall is to the left and Baker is to the rear and right.

huger-baker-1

Rear of Huger Hall. Baker Hall is to the rear of the camera.

huger-baker-2

OOPS, some really bad mechanical and electrical planning at one of the rear entrances to Baker Hall.

OMG

7. Default Re: Campus Construction

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    OOPS, some really bad mechanical and electrical planning at one of the rear entrances to Baker Hall.
    That is why they have landscape designers---Is it a mess up or what???? from the no clue department!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    That is why they have landscape designers---Is it a mess up or what???? from the no clue department!!!!
    sure they can have it hidden by landscaping but you certainly don't like to have areas that can potentially be problems, this was definitely a mistake

To be fair, they don't plan on completing the landscaping here until they finish both dorms. However, it does not appear to be well thought out. We will see if the same thing happens on Huger at the same spot. If it does then it was intended to be that way and if not then they made a mistake on Baker. (Or they figured out a better way to do it on Huger)

Brick work and other exterior work is finishing up. Looks like they got some precast concrete accent pieces in this week.

Huger Hall as seen from Taft street.

huger-taft

North facade of Huger Hall. Hamilton hall is to the left. Half of this side was bricked last week,

huger-baker-1

Installing soffit and facia on Tulane Avenue Facade

soffit-facia

Literally a ton of copper went into this building. I don't think they are finished yet. Because copper is so expensive, empty spools are the only spools they leave out like this.

copper-spools

Demolition of old Baker and Old Huger started this past Wednesday afternoon. They didn't waste any time. This is what it looked like on June 11, 2011. On Monday September 5, both buildings were standing with minimal demolition accomplished.

huger-baker-bonin

This is the remains of old Baker Hall on Friday September 9, 2011

baker-demo-1

Demolition of old Huger Hall on Friday September 9, 2011. The crane in the background is lifting materials for new Huger Hall on Tulane Ave.

huger-demo-1

The remains of Baker-Huger on September 10, 2011

baker-huger-ramains-1

The approximate location of the entrance to Baker Huger. Buchanan Hall is to the rear.

baker-huger-demo2

The only building still standing that is scheduled for demolition is Bonin Hall. I suspect it won't be long although I saw that they had the top floor windows in Bonin sealed off like they were doing more asbestos remediation work.

construction on Huger Hall is progressing at a very rapid pace. These are photos taken on the afternoon of September 17 before I left for the football game.

View of Huger Hall from the Taft Tulane Intersection.

huger-taft

View of the rear of the south end of Huger Hall

huger-rear-1

View of the rear of the north end of Huger Hall

huger-rear-2

Close up of the attachment of one of many precast concrete accent pieces. (metal brackets at the middle and top sides of the unit)

concrete-section

Left over sign from Denbo/Bancroft because not too much grass to park on here.

huger-parking

Rear of Baker Hall showing more unsightly mechanical lines (the hose on the ground is for the grass sprinkler and is temporary).

oops-1

More mechanical lines. Gas lines cannot be installed under slabs (by code)

oops-2

The above two photos along with the photo a few weeks back are at similar locations on the building. I suspect that there is a fire wall in the building that either cannot be penetrated or the Fire Marshall said that it could not be penetrated (even with fire stopping). The fire Marshall enforced the NFPA Life Safety code to the "T" and they are really particular about dorm type occupancies.

A very nice McKinley Street facade of the parking garage (It almost looks like a class room building). The credit Union offices are pretty close to being finished. I give them about 2 to 3 weeks.

garage-mckinley

After speaking to the general Superintentent for Juneau I found out that the different brick color was intentional because they wanted to Identify the Credit Union as a different use in the same building.

Old Baker and Huger Halls are debris piles

Pick up truck is parked where Huger once stood two weeks ago.

baker-huger-remains-1

Debris pile of Baker Hall

baker-debris

More debris piles

baker-debris-2

Another view from the fire escape for Harris Hall. Bonin Hall is to the right. Dirt pile to the left is where Evangeline Hall once stood.

bonin-9-17

Really starting to chew on Bonin Hall on Sunday September 18, 2011

bonin9-18-1

Another view of Bonin Demolition. The water stream is to keep the dust down.

bonin9-18-2

View of construction (demolition) from the driveway to my home. I really am glad they sprayed water on the debris pile because the dust would be unbelievable.

driveway-view

15. Default Re: Campus Construction

Simply amazing stuff HelmutVII, I can't thank you enough.

Page 22 of 63 FirstFirst . 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 . LastLast

Thread Information