Page 18 of 63 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 . LastLast

Thread: Campus Construction

Default Re: Campus Construction

Quote Originally Posted by ULEverywhere View Post

So instead they will focus on starting remolding the inside of the union.

Normally I'm not a stickler for spelling but this is hilarious. "Remolding". I'm sure the Union has plenty of mold already. But, I'm sure they could always stand to remove it all and apply a fresh coat of mold.

2. Default Re: Campus Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    _ Normally I'm not a stickler for spelling but this is hilarious. "Remolding". I'm sure the Union has plenty of mold already. But, I'm sure they could always stand to remove it all and apply a fresh coat of mold. _
    Lol well deserved, they can recycle the mold from the older dorms. Maybe Stokes?

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun View Post
    _ Is the area for the band to practice any smaller than prior to the new construction? If so, will the area be large enough for the band to actually practice formations at its current size and/or at 300+ strong? _
    It's about the same size (20 to 20). It should be fine.

Still removing asbestos from old dorms along University Ave. They have returned to Evangeline Hall for more asbestos removal. Looks like they must have found some more. The crawl space under Bonin Hall is sealed off. That must be a hell of a job removing asbestos under that building.

New Huger from Tulane Ave.

huger-tulane

New Huger on left, new Baker to the rear, New Parking Garage far rear and to the middle and Hamilton Hall on right

huger-baker-tulane

New Baker on July 23, 2011

baker7-23

New Baker Hall as seen from Taft Street. Sidewalk was placed today.

baker-taft1

Another view of New Baker seen from Taft Street

baker-taft2

Preparing columns for installation

baker-columns

Parking garage as seen from McKinley Street with Angelle Hall to the left

parking-angelle

One of the McKinley Street entrances being prepared for concrete placement.

parking-driveway

5. Default Re: Campus Construction

Were the old dorms supposed to be torn down before the end of the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by ULEverywhere View Post
    _ Were the old dorms supposed to be torn down before the end of the summer? _

I think so but it looks like they are finding more Asbestos in the buildings and it is taking a long time. It won't take long to demolish them once they get started, debris removal will be the limiting factor.

More asbestos removal in Evangeline Hall. This is the building they started with asbestos removal and they have returned to it. Looks like they are back in old Baker and Huger too. They have never left Bonin once they started. Asbestos removal is a slow and tedious job that requires meticulous record keeping.

evangeline-asbestos

New Baker Hall on July 30, 2011. They moved in furniture last week, they are installing gutters and the entry columns, landscaping is started too. The landscape sprinkler system is being installed on the band practice field. Sprinkler heads are marked by a white pipe (like the one to the right of the dozer). Landscape sprinklers are being installed around New Baker Hall too.

baker-july-30

New Baker Hall as seen from Taft Street.

baker-taft

New Baker Hall as seen from the south east corner of the new parking garage (adjacent to Angelle Hall)

baker-angelle

Installing entry columns at New Baker Hall

baker-columns

Parking Garage July 30, 2011, Sidewalk is formed and should be placed Monday. Security fencing is almost complete on the first level.

garage-july30

Parking garage adjacent to the rear of Angelle Hall. Driveway to Angelle Hall is formed and should be placed Monday.

garage-angelle

McKinley Street entrance to parking garage next to Angelle Hall. I wonder if anybody is going to have anything to say about the color of the brick not matching? The darker brick was placed on site. It appears that the lighter brick is not brick but stained concrete (I have not been able to get close enough to see.)

garage-mckinley-angelle

Energy efficiency project is under construction. There will be new cooling towers at the Student Union and Doucet Hall with improvements to the chilled water loop at the student union. One of the new cooling towers is to the left rear.

energy-efficiency

Welders work station. Must get pretty hot in the afternoon. Note asbestos laden Evangeline Hall to the rear and the roof vents that were replicated on new Baker Hall.

welders-work-space

The flying cantilever is the only example of anything of value on the soon to be demolished Guillory Hall. These buildings were built in 1955 and are the worst eyesore on campus.

flying-cantilever

Certainly won't miss these buildings, you're right though I noticed the brick was not the same color the other day when I drove by. It doesn't look like a real brick facade though but rather what you said maybe a stained concrete or something. Not sure how I feel about the scale of the parking tower between the buildings. Also while it's nice to match the style of the older buildings they could have created a better design for dorms imo but the layout will be nice and these have been much needed for some time. Kudos to the University for improving in the rough times, we'll be so far ahead of other schools in the state when the economy turns around

10. Default Re: Campus Construction

Will the one dorm be ready for this year's Fall semester???

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Will the one dorm be ready for this year's Fall semester???
    YES.the dorms HAVE to be finished. They are already booked for students. I even talked to the developers for the project and they assured me this campus will look amazing (just like the 3D video that was made) and they said parking garage and 1st set of dorms will be done.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Will the one dorm be ready for this year's Fall semester??? _
    As stated above New Baker will be finished. They may have a few exterior things to do but they will be able to occupy it. The parking garage will be a closer situation though. It won't be critical until school starts though. The credit Union office space will not be ready, but that's not critical either as they have temporary space at the corner of Lewis and Johnston. New Huger is moving at a much faster pace then New Baker and it looks like it will be finished well ahead of the start of the Spring Semester.

If the weather holds they should be able to sod the Band practice field this week. When they do that it will look finished even if there are a few minor things to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    _Also while it's nice to match the style of the older buildings they could have created a better design for dorms imo but the layout will be nice and these have been much needed for some time.
    It looks like these designs were a canned design that are used over and over again. They just change the exterior finish to match, as close as possible, the existing buildings on the campus they are on. Ambling does this all over the country and most of the designers don't set foot on the campus when they are working on a project.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'm very amazed and pleased with this construction. without having seen it first-hand. Thanks for all of the pictures and explanations HelmutVII.

I read your non-matching brick/stained concrete comment. I'm certain the interior and newer features (HVAC, lighting, access, etc) of new buildings are most important to their daily inhabitants. But, is the overall architectural application impressive for a university campus? I liked our UL campus building architecture and landscaping "look". even as it took on changes over the years. Sorry for such an uneducated question. but do the new buildings simply mesh with the existing architecture/landscape and/or do they reflect some modern or different architecture? I'm sure things look different because they are different in size and shape. and they're new. but are they really "different looking"?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ I'm very amazed and pleased with this construction. without having seen it first-hand. Thanks for all of the pictures and explanations HelmutVII.

I read your non-matching brick/stained concrete comment. I'm certain the interior and newer features (HVAC, lighting, access, etc) of new buildings are most important to their daily inhabitants. But, is the overall architectural application impressive for a university campus? I liked our UL campus building architecture and landscaping "look". even as it took on changes over the years. Sorry for such an uneducated question. but do the new buildings simply mesh with the existing architecture/landscape and/or do they reflect some modern or different architecture? I'm sure things look different because they are different in size and shape. and they're new. but are they really "different looking"? _
    The new buildings are more in line with the traditional look and feel of the older buildings on campus except they are bigger. The removal of Denbo and Bancroft was a step in the right direction. You may notice all of the older buildings on campus have an arch somewhere on the facade, 6 over 6 double hung windows and red brick. They also have a shingled roof with a pitch of about 6 on 12 to 8 on 12 with terra cotta ridge and hip caps.

My comment about the brick was made in passing knowing full well that somebody either at the University or in the Architecture community will make a comment that they don't match. Bricks that don't match do not affect the function of the building as you noted. However, somebody with an eye for such things will notice it and have an opinion one way or another. I'm thinking that, over time, with dirt, mold and mildew will cover up any difference in color. My main opinion is that the top of the field applied brick is out beyond the cast in place concrete structure. If they don't flash (or seal) the top of that brick, then it will be a constant source of water into the building resulting in mold inside the credit union offices. Regardless, any attempt to match the difference in color might make the situation worse. All this under the assumption that the field applied brick is not scheduled to be painted (given that they are not finished).

Page 18 of 63 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 . LastLast

Thread Information