Thread: McNeese thwarts Moody's effort

1. UL Baseball McNeese thwarts Moody's effort

University of Louisiana southpaw Hunter Moody had the best start of his young career Wednesday against McNeese State.

Unfortunately, the Ragin Cajuns' offense didn't have one of its better nights.

UL (14-2) stranded 11 base runners as the visiting Cowboys (7-10) stunned the Cajuns 4-3 at Moore Field, ending the Cajuns' 10-game home winning streak. Moody struck out a career high 10 and scattered six hits in seven innings, but got the no decision. Micah Cockrell (0-1) entered in the eighth and McNeese quickly touched him up for two runs.

"Hunter did a great job for a freshman," UL coach Tony Robichaux said. "He caught a night where we just didn't protect him. He did what our pitching philosophy is here - don't worry about yourself, don't worry about trying to get a win. You keep your team in the ballgame and try to get the team a win. Hunter did that. We just didn't get the job done and they did."

Cockrell hit Tyler Dugas with one out in the eighth to start the Cowboys rally. Taylor Faul followed with an RBI double and Dustin Schroer's RBI single gave McNeese the 4-2 lead.

UL got a run back in the home half of the eighth on Adam Massiatte RBI groundout to second, but McNeese St. coach Chad Clement brought in No. 1 starter Jacob Marceaux in the bottom of the ninth to shut the door.Robichaux said Marceaux was scheduled to start, but was scratched before the game.

"I'm sure if the game would've been out of hand they surely don't pitch him," Robichaux said. "But again that's another failure of ours right there.

The rest of the story

Michael Krieg
    mkrieg@theadvertiser.com

Homes SO Clean

I was at the game last night and listened to the Hawaii game. Two pathetic performances in a row by the offense. I know we are 14-2, but we can not continue to lose to McNeese, ULM, Nichols or any other in state school except for maybe Tulane and that school in B.R. It is devastating for recruiting in this state when we lose to those other programs. If we expect to get to the next level loses like last night need to cease.

It is a long season we will lose to in state schools, this is baseball not football.

4. Default

Originally posted by cajunproud
    I know we are 14-2, but we can not continue to lose to McNeese, ULM, Nichols or any other in state school except for maybe Tulane and that school in B.R. It is devastating for recruiting in this state when we lose to those other programs. If we expect to get to the next level loses like last night need to cease.
    IN STATE?
    a sweep over la tech, a win over southern, nicholls, then a trip that included 5 games in 5 days with jet lag and you are complaining about 1 game, how would you like to try something like that....oh! add in going to class and studying. what is your problem, if you are a cajun fan you should appreciate what the coaches and team is/have accomplish, and i don't understand what's your "NEXT LEVEL" also this state have good baseball or maybe you're not listening. it is not devastating to recruiting in this state...man, that's the way baseball is, and after playing baseball most of my life i understand that "THAT'S BASEBALL" this team will be fine and i believe and trust my coaches and team i know who they are and they will only get better, but hey! losing is part of the game

i think cajunproud is an lsu ringer. if not, he's just wrong. i bet if we check the schedule from 2000, the year we dominated the sport by defeating #1 seed s. carolina and were later robbed at the cws by stanford, we'd find that we lost an in-state game or two. thus, even dynasties for the ages lose a game now and then. remember, that yankees team a few years ago that won 114 or so LOST over 50 counting the post-season [that may have been the 2000 yanks, i'm not sure, but would that have been a game to remember between them and our cajuns?!?!?!?!?!?!? with our pitching staff that year, whattaya think, a 3-hitter?].

Ringer....probably not; but definitely still wet behind the ears.

Easy you idiots. I bleed vermillion and white, and I also played college baseball so I know what in the hell i'm talking about. I promise you I hate that school in B.R. more than any of you and I resent the implication that I am a "tiger ringer". I love our coaches and our players, and I never questioned there guts or determination.

The next level I am talking about is making it to post season every year instead of only once since our CWS appearance in 2000. I know it is a young season, but I still hate losing, especially to in-state schools.

Thread Information