Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: UL 20th Century Oaks

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Yes those are the most noticeable. I fear that they may not survive.
    That would be a travesty.

Do you know if they have an artificial watering system? Those can be a blessing and/or curse if not done right.

Default Re: UL 20th Century Oaks

Hopefully, they make it. I know they planned the construction to save the trees.

Maybe it was Harvey Updike...after he was released he said he was gonna live with relatives in Louisiana. Maybe his family is from Monroe or Ruston.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Maybe it was Harvey Updike...after he was released he said he was gonna live with relatives in Louisiana. Maybe his family is from Monroe or Ruston.
    So you're saying, once a sap, always a sap!

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    I think if you're an idiot who fixates on a college to the exclusion of rational thought he'd have to follow the Congressionally mandated flagship, wouldn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I think if you're an idiot who fixates on a college to the exclusion of rational thought he'd have to follow the Congressionally mandated flagship, wouldn't he?
    Good point

I have noticed that all of the oaks along University where they did the construction for the residence halls look a bit stressed. The leaves are a different color and they are not as full as the other oaks. Some have dead tip branches. I hope this is temporary but as the summer progresses they do look a bit worse. The difference is striking once you notice it. I will take photos this weekend.
    Wow this is really sad, but hopefully like the five live oaks that surround my home will come out of this stunned stage. My trees were stunned too by the construction of my home and the vehicles that parked on their roots. They did eventually get back to normal think it was the next growing season.

These are the University Ave Oaks that were near the construction and had the parking lots removed.

The two to the left had the parking lot under them. Their leaves a lighter green and the canopy is not as thick.

oaks-3

Another shot looking in the opposite direction. The trees closest to the camera had no construction and were not over a parking lot.

oaks-1

A shot of the oak tree at the entrance to the rose garden alley. The leaf canopy is very sparse compared to the other trees.

oaks-2

I noticed Bobs Tree Preservation feeding the Oak Trees today.

10. Default Re: UL 20th Century Oaks

I noticed Bobs Tree Preservation feeding the Oak Trees today.
    Thanks for the heads up to make everyone aware in the first place . . . and the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    That would be a travesty.

Do you know if they have an artificial watering system? Those can be a blessing and/or curse if not done right.
    I have 5 Century Old Live Oaks at home and when building the house the Oaks that were where the carpenters would walk and park, did not do so good the next year, but through aeration of the soil and after sampling the soil and treating the soil, plenty water they are thriving again and have grown. They are some work to keep up.

12. Default Re: UL 20th Century Oaks

I don't believe the Oaks in question are Century Oaks. If they are, it is only recently that they met the standard. I have a note somewhere as to when they were planted.

They are not among the trees planted on 01/01/01 ... 1901

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information