Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UL 20th Century Oaks

Alumni UL 20th Century Oaks

On January 1, 1900, Edwin Stevens-- first president of SLII, took acorns he had gathered from one of the prettiest oaks in New Orleans, and evenly planted them in approximately 100 places around the edge of the old part of our campus.

Later he founded the American Live Oak society. When I went to an international conference for art schools in Louisville some years back, the president of the organization began his address, 'Near my campus is a member of the Live Oak Society.' It was a pretty emotional moment; I felt as if someone was talking to me from beyond the grave. A few years later, the same organization had a smaller conference in New Orleans, with members from all over the country in attendance.

Number one item on their agenda was to see the oak tree he had spoken of.

So we went out to Audubon Park. It was a gorgeous Spring day, and everyone was in high spirits, laughing and enjoying themselves. I stayed apart from them, a bit in awe, as if I were in the presence of an ancient sage. Not long after we were there, I found out the old oak had finally died.

Stevens also began cultivating oak trees on the SLII campus and selling them, some to other schools in the state. Some of the oaks at LSU were purchased from those stocks.

Stevens was the first to really see the beauty, and the potential, of the oaks. And he was also the first to believe in the value, and the potential, of UL.

Stevens has been dead many, many years; most of his children have passed on, as well. But the oaks are still growing; and so is UL. The oaks-- and the University-- will still be here long after we are dead.

Planting those oaks was an act of great vision, and great faith. Live oaks are the slowest thing that grows in the South. Stevens planted them, believing, even knowing, that his work was for other people, and other generations.

He planted and planned UL likewise.

Sometimes, when I get depressed about the setbacks and problems we see at the University, I go walk around the oaks. They are the thread that ties the beginning of our University to the present; and they will likewise tie the present to a far distant future.

Our problems aren't that bad. We will continue to grow and flourish.

And so will the oaks.

2. Default

Very nice read, thanks

3. Default

One of Louisiana's earliest tree huggers was no barefoot campus radical, but a balding campus dignitary.

The trees Edwin Lewis Stephens, the first president of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, then Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute, cherished most were quite an armful: 100-year- old live oaks. In 2001, the surviving 10 of 18 live oaks planted in 1901 at the campus entrance during Stephens' administration will be old enough to become members of the Live Oak Society.

Call it poetic justice.

Nearly 70 years ago, Stephens, in a Louisiana Conservation Review article, called for the society's creation. The article was titled "I Saw in Louisiana a Live Oak Growing," after a Walt Whitman poem.

Peppered with exclamation points and verses from Whitman and poets Sidney Lanier and Alfred Lord Tennyson, the 1934 essay and another in 1935 that established the society's constitution and bylaws declared that only the centenarian trees themselves could be members and hold offices.

That's right, the society's members are trees, not humans.

The organization, Stephens wrote, would promote the "culture, distribution and appreciation of the live oak." Branch groups would be allowed to form "wherever the F.L.O. (feeling for the live oak) was sufficiently expressed." Killing oaks, "Quercocide" - a word taken from the Latin name for live oaks, "Quercus virginiana" - was forbidden unless sanctioned by the Legislature.

"Thou shalt not kill!" Stephens wrote.

Acadiana boasted several charter members, including the Arnaud Breaux Oak in Cecilia, the society's first vice president and at the time the second largest member at 33 feet, 5 inches in circumference. Stephens concluded the bylaws with this note: "(signed) The Robert Martin Live Oak (seal)."With more than 3,000 members today, the Live Oak Society has flourished after a dormancy that ended in 1957, when the Louisiana Garden Club Federation took over. Stephens' name, however, appears now to have faded in conservation and preservation circles.

A botanist educated at LSU and New York University, Stephens was 27 when he became president of SLII.

Although he was an enthusiastic advocate of planting trees, which was done in abundance on the Lafayette campus, that was not necessarily what distinguished Stephens in tree preservation in Louisiana.

Decades before grass-roots tree preservation groups in Louisiana mobilized, Stephens had the foresight, as some describe it, to organize people - membership notwithstanding - to protect the trees and to recognize their value.

In one of his essays, Stephens mentioned forming a committee to lobby the Legislature.

"The Association (the original name) will doubtless appoint committees to promote legislation providing for such live oak conservation," he wrote in his 1934 Conservation article.

Despite the fanciful tone of Stephens' writing, people took his ideas seriously. So seriously, said the society's state chair Verlyn Bercegeay, that oak owners willingly shipped the unwieldy dues Stephens required for membership, 25 acorns.

Bercegeay insists that Stephens' intention was "tongue-in-cheek," and acorns are no longer required for membership. Tree measurements, however, are.

When many were preoccupied with going to the polls to vote for president on Nov. 7, ULL's grounds services manager John Broderick and UL's Center for Louisiana Studies director Glenn Conrad were stepping gingerly over bulging oak root knobs "doing the waist."

That's tree lingo for measuring with a tape the girths of the surviving Stephens oaks, or "Twentieth Century Oaks," as Stephens called them. The trees are measured four feet from the ground.

Broderick, with a bushy mustache and thin-rimmed spectacles perched on the end of his nose, looked like a mid-19th century naturalist as he began a stiff-legged march to count paces from longest branch tip to longest branch tip. The exercise often landed him in the roar of impatient campus traffic on Johnston Street or University Avenue.

While Stephens was a pioneer in formally recognizing the oaks in Louisiana, he was also a man of his time, said Conrad, who himself has recorded the growth of oaks of all ages in the Acadiana area, including some of the society's charter members.

Stephens planted the Century Oaks in 1901, the same year

Theodore Roosevelt, who made conservation part of his domestic policy, became president of the United States.

By the time Stephens called for creation of the society in the mid- 30s, the conservation movement had long before taken root, inspired in part by literary figures. Societies dedicated to plant preservation thrived, Conrad and Broderick said.

Stephens kept a steady correspondence with contemporaries as interested in the oaks as he. That is probably why people took him seriously when he called for the society's establishment.

Although Stephens mentions in one of his Conservation articles that to preserve the trees is "ethical" - a point on which he does not elaborate - the essays were not environmental manifestos. Ideas such as planting and preserving trees as buffers against pollution or erosion did not gain momentum until the 1980s, said Baton Rouge Green's Lynn Morris. Nor do Stephens' essays discuss in detail whether Stephens was influenced by conservationists or societies.

With long meticulous lists of trees, measurements and locations, the essays rather lavishly praise the oaks' beauty, describe them as possessing human virtues such as wisdom, and lament that they were not valued as they should be, the primary motivations for the society's founding.

Though not noted in either Conservation essay, Conrad and Bercegeay said that Stephens feared that impending development, specifically road paving that began in the 1930s during Huey Long's administration, would spell the end of the oaks. In addition, Conrad said a sense of competition inspired Stephens. He thought Louisiana was virtually peerless among the Gulf Coast states in the number and sizes of its live oaks.

A tree's listing on the Live Oak Society registry is a mark of prestige, much as oak alleys were considered a status symbol to plantation owners. The practical effect, however, is to make people aware of where the oaks stand and to rouse in people a keen interest in the trees' well-being, Bercegeay and Conrad said.

Membership in the society does not mean that the trees are protected under law.

The Century Oaks were planted in January, a year after Stephens was named president of a campus more a flat expanse of cropland than verdant, manicured lawns and stately red brick buildings. Johnston and what was once Industrial Avenue, now University Avenue, were unpaved roads.

To the untrained eye, the oaks, now with vinelike, bright green fern that creeps the length of twisting branches, look like the work of a skilled artist's brush.

However, Conrad, a longtime sentinel of the oaks, and Broderick, an arborist who has monitored the trees for seven years, see trees in distress. Three years of drought, pavement and years of feet tramping on the delicate roots that lie just beneath the surface have taken a toll. Sunlight filters through foliage that should be so thick it blocks the sky. The trees aren't the giants that 100-year- old oaks can grow to be, either.

Stephens in his essays estimated that a 100-year-old oak could be 17 feet in circumference. The 20th-century oaks average 12 to 13 feet.

Still, Broderick's diligent mulching and watering have helped. The landmark Corner Oak, a Century Oak that stands where University and Johnston meet, is one example. Hemmed in by the two streets and sidewalk, its situation is particularly perilous, Conrad said. He measured that oak and a handful of other Century Oaks at random 10 years ago.

The moment of truth was on Election Day.

As the tape measure snapped a retreat, Conrad jotted down the Corner Oak's measurement on the Live Oak Society application and announced with obvious delight its progress. Ten years ago, the oak's girth was 12 feet, 8 inches. On Nov. 7, 2000, it had grown exactly one foot, Conrad said.

Source link lost.

Before the crawfish became the all-encompassing symbol of south Louisiana, the oak tree may have been our most used icon.

The magnificent trees grew abundantly across the landscape - and were so prevalent that the oldest of them became a part of a unique society that continues today.

Edwin L. Stephens, the first president of UL, believed that there was no tree more noble than the Louisiana live oak. He ringed the campus with the trees, and also began an organization he hoped would protect the most magnificent of them.

The rest of the story

Jim Bradshaw
    289-6315
    jbradshaw@the advertiser.com

4. Default The Live Oak Society

In 1934, UL's first president Dr. Edwin Stephens founded the Live Oak Society, a society of trees. The Society's registration now approaches 6,000 magnificent live oaks across the Deep South.

The Like Oak Society promotes the culture, distribution, preservation and appreciation of the live oak tree, scientifically known as Quercus virginiana.

The rest of the story

ULToday.com

Default Re: The Live Oak Society

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ _
    Fun, Any chance the university would do a sponsor the oaks drive? The money could cover the long term cost of pruning, feeding, etc for that tree.

6. Default Re: UL 20th Century Oaks

With the current article in La Louisiane I thought . . . bump

Default Re: UL 20th Century Oaks

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    With the current article in La Louisiane I thought . . . bump

After going out to the Horse Farm the last two weekends, I was wondering about all of the old Live Oaks out there also. Could they have been planted at the same time by Dr Stephens, or are they natural growth? Some of them seem extremely old and are very beautiful.

8. Default Re: UL 20th Century Oaks

So we need to do a DNA of the oaks on campus, and the horse farm. No doubt it is possible, is it worth the trouble?

I have noticed that all of the oaks along University where they did the construction for the residence halls look a bit stressed. The leaves are a different color and they are not as full as the other oaks. Some have dead tip branches. I hope this is temporary but as the summer progresses they do look a bit worse. The difference is striking once you notice it. I will take photos this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I have noticed that all of the oaks along University where they did the construction for the residence halls look a bit stressed. The leaves are a different color and they are not as full as the other oaks. Some have dead tip branches. I hope this is temporary but as the summer progresses they do look a bit worse. The difference is striking once you notice it. I will take photos this weekend.
    It seems like the construction, which removed the parking lot sitting on top of the roots, should have helped the trees.

11. Default Re: UL 20th Century Oaks

Doc ---you are too much---thanks for such an inspiring story!!!

They need to be pruned, cut back the diseased branches and the healthy ones will over take them.

It's not just the dead branches. The color of the leaves (they are a much lighter green) over the entire tree are different than the other oaks (a very dark green).

14. Default Re: UL 20th Century Oaks

When I drove by it seemed noticeable on the trees in the load/unload area.

Those trees have a much smaller root aeration footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    When I drove by it seemed noticeable on the trees in the load/unload area.

Those trees have a much smaller root aeration footprint.
    Yes those are the most noticeable. I fear that they may not survive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information