Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2005-06 Volunteer Days

1. Default Volunteers sought to help clean UL facility

Not everyone can donate money to a cause, but that's not the only way to help a collegiate athletic program succeed.

The University of Louisiana's athletic complex will be the site of Ragin' Cajun Volunteer Days today through Sunday as fans pitch in to help University personnel improve the appearance of the school's facilities for Cajun teams.

Supporters will band together to paint, pressure wash, clean and maintain Cajun Field, the Moore Field baseball park, Ragin' Cajun Softball Park, Cajun track and soccer stadium and other sites.

"We had over 250 people over a three-day period last year," said Gerald Hebert, UL's coordinator of athletic development. "That's a lot of people. You can get a lot done with that many volunteers."

The idea for the UL clean-up project got its start three years ago when Hebert took his current position.

"I was looking at the facilities as a whole, and I was trying to re-kindle interest in our programs," Hebert said. "I know I don't have any money, and not everybody can give money. But what we're talking about is having pride in Ragin' Cajuns athletics, and being able to feel good about something.

"When you've put work into something and have some sweat equity in it, then your sense of pride goes up pretty high. We're trying in some small way to help make improvements."

It's a grass roots project that appeals to UL coaches who compete against some of the nation's richest athletic programs with less than bounteous budgets.

"There will be a number of coaches there, from football, baseball, track and soccer," Hebert said. "They want to make sure people know how much they appreciate what the people are doing with their hard work."

"Obviously, it makes me feel good to have people give their time to something like this," track and field coach Lance Veazey said. "It shows they care about what we're doing, and it kind of gives what I do more value to have them giving back to me.

"I'll be here," Veazey added. "I'll try to pitch in and help. Especially since our facility has been under construction for the last two years, it's kind of been off-limits. It needs a little elbow grease."

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

Ragin' Cajuns Re: volunteer update/complaining

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58
    Will there be a meeting this week? I've only been able to make one due to conflicts with 4 of my kids playing baseball. I think we finished the last game last night. I've already dedicated my 4-wheeler and my time, but if we're going to "hit the ground running" on the "Vermilion Wall" I need to know the organizational status. Also, we've got to have music playing on the PA system to help me work faster!
    Sign in is at the IBERIA BANK TENT, this is also where the "FOOD" will be served. It will be located on the First base side of the Baseball complex by the New Covered Area(eat there).

Going pressure wash right now and pick up and ice down some "WATERMELLONS" around 3p.m.

DaddyCajun!

3. Default Re: volunteer update/complaining

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    I think a vermilion wall will look good.

It is only 5 feet tall with grey cement above and grass below, and hopefully white banners everywhere.

Now if we painted it white, a contrasting Vermilion banner would be real hard to come by.

This is the best indicator of what a VERMILION wall might look like.
    The inside of the tunnel was painted almost a decade ago.
    The slab over the pumps was painted 2 years ago.

Who is the chick crossing the field---Pretty foxy!!!!!!--We have alot of those on campus!!

4. Ragin' Cajuns V4 - 2005 - Volunteer Days - United Louisiana Cajuns

Whatever duty called them, be it pruning the trees or carrying out 20-year-old trash from unused concession stands, dozens of volunteers descended upon the University of Louisiana's athletic facilities for a much-needed facelift during the weekend.

The work started Friday afternoon, with a handful of people coming out just to help and get started on the weekend's larger tasks, including pressure washing nearly every surface they can reach.

Some volunteers said they went just to give back a little bit to the university.

"The university gives a lot to the community and the community needs to give a little bit back. Say what you want, but Lafayette's a college town," said Lee Venable, whose son, Justin, plays football for the Ragin' Cajuns. "We don't mind helping out a bit. We take real pride in the university and to help them out is great. The players appreciate it; the coaches appreciate it. They work hard all year so the least we can give them is a weekend."

The rest of the story

Jordan Hernandez
    jhernandez@theadvertiser.com

Joe Handy and Lee Venable going from one job to the next.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. Ragin' Cajuns V5 Comes Alive at Cajun Basin

Thanks IBERIA BANK

Soft Shell Crabs Yum Yum!

6. Default Re: V5 Comes Alive at Cajun Basin

The Iberia Bank Fuel Crew . . .

Default sportsnoteradio.com report (huh?)

same guys i passed when leaving i did not have a camera so i did not get such "attention" as i stopped in front of their trailer thing (grins)

although, i bank at iberia bank

my thinking that fact might have counted for something (well of course how would they know i only had legends, espn1420 and lafayette high school stickers on my truck) . (smiles)
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ps. shame on me for not making "anyone" aware that has the ability to send the rage page 10 25 0r 50 bucks or more a month, and does not. to help defray turbines costs to run this cajun's site go do delphi is my thinking (sorry jon for my "mr bitterness" tee-hee)

pss. anyone besides me thinks jake had less fun in this picture than the one i will post next? (tee-hee)

Default Re: volunteer update/complaining

WOW!! What a day! So much going on in so many areasTrack, Tennis, Baseball, Football, etc. People everywhere cleaning & Painting. Fantastic food! Everything is looking great! And the wall is done. It's red and it looks great. Everyone was asking why the heck wasn't this done years ago. I thought 20 or 30 of us would be rolling on it all day, but a professional painter (volunteer) showed up with a power sprayer. He did it in only a few hours. People were just standing around "gawking" at it. It looks sooooooooo different! Coach Bustle & his wife were both painting along with Coach Hudson. Mayor Durel showed up and was put to work just like the rest of us.
    Again, you will be surprised when you see the "new look" inside the stadium. There are a few more things to finish tomorrow. (11:00 to 4:00?) See ya out there. I'm feeling "Cajun Proud!"

9. Default Re: V5 Comes Alive at Cajun Basin

the Vermilion flowed through Cajun Track.

10. Default Re: V5 Comes Alive at Cajun Basin

Eric Mitchell was there when the Vermilion flowed through Cajun Field.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: V5 Comes Alive at Cajun Basin

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    Eric Mitchell was there when the Vermilion flowed through Cajun Field.
    That wall really looks great, and the food was even better. Thanks Bobby, Glen, Vance, and everybody that cooked it was to "die for"!!!

DaddyCajun!!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: volunteer update/complaining

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58
    WOW!! What a day! So much going on in so many areasTrack, Tennis, Baseball, Football, etc. People everywhere cleaning & Painting. Fantastic food! Everything is looking great! And the wall is done. It's red and it looks great. Everyone was asking why the heck wasn't this done years ago. I thought 20 or 30 of us would be rolling on it all day, but a professional painter (volunteer) showed up with a power sprayer. He did it in only a few hours. People were just standing around "gawking" at it. It looks sooooooooo different! Coach Bustle & his wife were both painting along with Coach Hudson. Mayor Durel showed up and was put to work just like the rest of us.
    Again, you will be surprised when you see the "new look" inside the stadium. There are a few more things to finish tomorrow. (11:00 to 4:00?) See ya out there. I'm feeling "Cajun Proud!"
    RedBug, did you give the Mayor a ride on the fiber optic loop!!!!!!!! Fiber Passed!!!!!!!!!!!

DaddyCajun!

13. Default Re: volunteer update/complaining

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    RedBug, did you give the Mayor a ride on . . .
    He gave me a couple of rides, I wasn't worthy, I May or may not be offered again.

ps how is the super toe?

14. Default Re: V5 Comes Alive at Cajun Basin

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    That wall really looks great, and the food was even better. Thanks Bobby, Glen, Vance, and everybody that cooked it was to "die for"!!!
    And thanks CajunJudo and DaddyCajun.

15. Default Re: V5 Comes Alive at Cajun Basin

Thanks Rickey and Lynn Bustle. This is so cool.

Is Lynn wearing the perfect hat for the occasion or what?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information