Thread: Administration wary, Lady Cajun Alumnae Relish Success

1. UL Basketball Administration wary, Lady Cajun Alumna Relish Success

Division title redemption for those who endured rough years

Although the Louisiana Lady Cajuns basketball program has enjoyed winning seasons in the past, none of them may have had as much of an impact on the community and to it's former players like the one their enjoying this year.

By going 20-8 overall and 10-5 in the Sun Belt, the Cajuns brought home the program's first West Division Championship and a smile to the faces of many.

"I'm really happy for them," said North Central girls basketball coach and former Cajun player Vanessa Taylor, who played for Mary Jo Castell from 1979-1982. "It's definitely been a long time coming and I hope that this success will help the program in the future recruiting wise."

"As an alumnus, you have to be proud anytime your university has success," said Carencro girls basketball coach and former Cajuns player Rhonda McCullough, who played from 1986-1990 under Ross Cook (redshirt year) and Wilo Colon. "I'm happy for both the kids and the coaching staff, because anytime you set goals and attain those goals despite all the people that doubted they could compete on this level, you have to be proud."

While Opelousas Catholic girls basketball and softball coach Tara Shamsie, who played under Dwayne Searle from 1992-1996, admits that she is excited about the success the Cajuns have had this year, her joy is limited to a select few.

"I am really excited for the players and the coaching staff," Shamsie said. "But not for the administration. I'm glad to see the team be successful and prove to them (administration) what they can accomplish if they are given just a little help."

The rest of the story

Eric Narcisse
    enarcisse@theadvertiser.com

2. Default Just be happy

Man, can't these people just be happy and not _____ about the way things used to be!! The present coach can recruit and coach and wins. The talent level was terrible at UL when these ladies were playing and they got killed. The Singular fem. is alumna and the plural is alumnae. Great job and hope we get some more PLAYERS!!!!!

Please keep in mind that these former players are happy about the team, but they remember what they had to go through when they were representing this university. They were never given the opportunity to voice their opinions about conditions back then so I don't blame them for making the most of their chance now. The reason we were able to get this coaching staff was because Nelson was finally given enough money in the athletic budget to hire someone with college experience. Alumni need to pony up some more money so this program can advance to higher levels.

Thread Information