Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Baseball: Louisiana vs Wichita

1. UL Baseball

RR, how in the world did you that, the animation that is?????? You are getting to be as good as Turbine.

Originally posted by cjr3888
    Great Score!!!!! Wish I could be there to see that inside the park grand slam. He never did that when we played in little league and high school.
    No because he was too busy carrying the rest of the team to a state championship. But as you know; he CAN Fly. Go JOSH Go CAJUNS

Good Point

4. Default Ragin' Cajuns rip Wichita St., 19-3

John Coker riding the wave in Hawaii

If a 13-hour plane trip wasn't enough, Louisiana-Lafayette faced the only other nationally ranked team right off the bat in the First Hawaii Title Rainbow Tournament. And then it had to face one of the best pitchers in the nation to boot.

No problem.

The Ragin' Cajuns pounded out 22 hits, including a three-run home run by designated hitter Jefferies Tatford and an inside-the-park grand slam by Josh Landry to hammer Wichita State, 19-3, yesterday.

Louisiana-Lafayette improved to 11-0 overall and 1-0 in the tournament after handing the Shockers (11-1, 0-1) their first loss of the season.

The Ragin' Cajuns are ranked 21st by Baseball America and 22nd by Collegiate Baseball. Wichita State is No. 15 in Collegiate Baseball and No. 24 by Sports Weekly/ESPN.

Louisiana-Lafayette tagged preseason All-America right-hander Mike Pelfrey (2-1) for four runs on nine hits and two walks with six strikeouts in five innings.

"We came out thinking we'd be in a very close ball game, but we were fortunate enough to break the game open," Louisiana-Lafayette coach Tony Robichaux said. "We were lucky to get a win against such a quality team, against a quality coaching staff over there. It's good for our program, but we still have four more games to go. Nobody gives you a championship trophy for only one win."

It was Louisiana-Lafayette's third win against Wichita State in 11 meetings.

The game started as a pitchers' duel with Pelfrey against Louisiana-Lafayette's Austin Faught, who missed all of last season recovering from Tommy John surgery, which he had in October 2003.

He was scratched from Saturday's start with a tender elbow, Robichaux said.

"I was anxious how he was going to throw today," Robichaux said. "But he came out and threw really well, so we're proud of him."

Faught (3-0) allowed two runs on five hits and two walks with three strikeouts in five innings. He was on a pitch limit of 90, Robichaux said.

"It was a big win for him, coming back from surgery," Robichaux said.

"I mostly threw fastballs and changeups today with a handful of sliders," said Faught, a left-hander. "A cross wind kind of helped me out because my fastball was running away."

The rest of the story

The Honolulu Advertiser
    By Stacy Kaneshiro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information