Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OT - Lafayette crawfish prices way out of line compared to the rest of the state

Default OT - Lafayette crawfish prices way out of line compared to the rest of the state

I know this is off topic, if it needs to be move then move it.

I have had boiled crawfish in N.O and other places in LA in the past month and can tell you that Lafayette is by far the highest in the country for boiled crawfish.

The other night I went to a local establishment on VSR that was selling them for $5.30 a pound which is a dollar less then they were charging a month ago.

I can go just about anywhere in N.O and pay $3.75 or less for the same thing.

Here is the problem.

Apparently the people in Lafayette must love crawfish more then other places, because this place in Lafayette that was selling it for $5.30 a pound was so full you could not even get into the joint.

To go thru the drive thru you had a 20 car wait, and if you were in the back of the line you were literally parked on Verot congesting traffic.

If I were the owners of this place I guess I would do the same thing they are.
    Why lower the price if you have so many customers at $5.30 a pound that you cant service them all anyway. These guys are making a fortune.

Now the $5.30 is pretty standard in lafayette. If you look hard enough you may be able to find a place or 2 that sells them for slightly less then $5, but its few and far between.

Its sad that I can get the same crawfish anywhere else in the state of Louisiana for 30% or more less.

How did this get so out of hand?

I tell people in other parts of Louisiana how much crawfish cost in Lafayette and it blows there mind.

They cant believe it. This has been going on in Lafayette for about 3 years now.

Default Re: OT-Lafayette crawfish prices way out of line compared to the rest of the sta

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    _ I know this is off topic, if it needs to be move then move it.

I have had boiled crawfish in N.O and other places in LA in the past month and can tell you that Lafayette is by far the highest in the country for boiled crawfish.

The other night I went to a local establishment on VSR that was selling them for $5.30 a pound which is a dollar less then they were charging a month ago.

I can go just about anywhere in N.O and pay $3.75 or less for the same thing.

Here is the problem.

Apparently the people in Lafayette must love crawfish more then other places, because this place in Lafayette that was selling it for $5.30 a pound was so full you could not even get into the joint.

To go thru the drive thru you had a 20 car wait, and if you were in the back of the line you were literally parked on Verot congesting traffic.

If I were the owners of this place I guess I would do the same thing they are.
    Why lower the price if you have so many customers at $5.30 a pound that you cant service them all anyway. These guys are making a fortune.

Now the $5.30 is pretty standard in lafayette. If you look hard enough you may be able to find a place or 2 that sells them for slightly less then $5, but its few and far between.

Its sad that I can get the same crawfish anywhere else in the state of Louisiana for 30% or more less.

How did this get so out of hand?

I tell people in other parts of Louisiana how much crawfish cost in Lafayette and it blows there mind.

They cant believe it. This has been going on in Lafayette for about 3 years now. _
    You answered your own question. Basic principals of a capitalistic economy, SUPPLY AND DEMAND. Can't fault the business owners if we are going to pay for it.

GEAUX UL!

3. Default Re: OT-Lafayette crawfish prices way out of line compared to the rest of the sta

Dwight's Restaurant waited 5 weeks longer (to open for crawfish) than any other etablishment specializing in boiled crawfish.

They waited due to size and quality concerns.

They even closed one day last week because they refused to attach their name to an inferior product.

To my way of thinking they deserve to be able to charge more for a consistent product.

I wouln't be surprised if they lost $ix figures waiting for a quality product.

They are around $6 a pound and I'm afraid a lot of the "quick to sell small" outlets are riding on their crawfish pricing tails.

jmo
    igeaux.mobi

4. Default Re: OT-Lafayette crawfish prices way out of line compared to the rest of the sta

Quote Originally Posted by rgncjn12 View Post
    _ You answered your own question. Basic principals of a capitalistic economy, SUPPLY AND DEMAND. Can't fault the business owners if we are going to pay for it.

GEAUX UL! _
    If I remember correctly it was the law of supply and demand and PRICE!!!!! Isn't Capitalism great-----the competition is in Vermilion Parish ----YA'll come down and see us!!!!!

Default Re: OT-Lafayette crawfish prices way out of line compared to the rest of the sta

I went to the establishment in broussard where it was $26 for 5lbs.

I do live next to the verot establishment. I often marvel at how busy they stay day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    _ I went to the establishment in broussard where it was $26 for 5lbs.

I do live next to the verot establishment. I often marvel at how busy they stay day in and day out. _
    I need to try dwights, maybe its the best, never been there. That will be my next stop.

With that being said, it would have to be awesome to be better then that place on Verot. Its the best I have had by a long shot without having tried Dwights.

Went to Dwight's Saturday night and it was $28.95 for 5 lbs and $18.95 for 3 lbs

The restaurant was full

P.S. If you like your crawfish seasoned then Dwight's is the best imo
    igeaux.mobi

My favorite Drive-thru crawfish:

Maxi-Mart in Abbeville.

4$/pound, good size, boiled with jalapenos

and they are VERY fast.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    My favorite Drive-thru crawfish:

Maxi-Mart in Abbeville.

and they are VERY fast.
    Anybody got prices for some of the other Abbeville locations? Come on Boomer fill us in. We research and answer sports questions for you its time to pay up and go research crawfish prices in Abbeville!

10. Default Re: OT-Lafayette crawfish prices way out of line compared to the rest of the sta

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ My favorite Drive-thru crawfish:

Maxi-Mart in Abbeville.

and they are VERY fast. _
    They are good size now.

Problem with D&T is they are always first anywhere to open without regard to the size being very small.

An old cook I knew called the size they were selling early in the season "peeling crawfish" meaning crawfish that size are only good for other crawfish dishes.

Anyway we are past that point and their crawfish are good.

ps they will be last to close as well.

Well I'm not trying to start a war just wanting to give a little insight. I help my buddy boil crawfish for a certain restaurant in Lafayette who is selling them for 5.25 a pound.

He is buying them straight from the farmer at 3.50 a pound. That I'd ungraded sacks. After grading them and keeping only large crawfish he is stuck with about 10-15 pounds of small crawfish that he sells back to the farmer for only 2.00 a pound. With all the other expenses I know there isn't a large profit margin. So get off their backs for a month or so until the price goes down. If there price doesn't go down then, then you can cry . :/)

go Cajuns!

igeaux.mobi

Yea its funny. I found myself cursing to myself at all the people ordering this overpriced crawfish saying to myself if people would just not pay that the prices would go down.

Then the horn honks from the car behind me saying its my turn so I promply place my $60 order for 10lbs of crawfish.

13. Default Re: OT-Lafayette crawfish prices way out of line compared to the rest of the sta

Quote Originally Posted by T-Joe View Post
    He is buying them straight from the farmer at 3.50 a pound. That I'd ungraded sacks. After grading them and keeping only large crawfish he is stuck with about 10-15 pounds of small crawfish that he sells back to the farmer for only 2.00 a pound.

Then the Crawfish Farmer drives down to New Orleans and sell them to the restaurants there

Default Re: OT - Lafayette crawfish prices way out of line compared to the rest of the s

its $22 for 5lbs at crawfish corner, 3 miles north of the best stop. drive thru only

Default Re: OT - Lafayette crawfish prices way out of line compared to the rest of the s

For one. I believe the crawfish in the Acadiana area is superior to boiled crawfish anywhere else in the state. including New Orleans. That being said. Cajun Claws in Abbeville is the best and biggest crawfish around. consistently. Well seasoned and always on the larger side.

They are always packed and stay very busy during the season. My wife and I went this past Saturday for the third time this season but we FORTUNATELY get our crawfish paid for by her grandmother who lives in Abbeville and loves to invite us over for a night at Cajun Claws. Thank God because I know they are expensive over there as well and anywhere else in Lafayette, but I can honestly tell you that you get exactly what you pay for at Cajun Claws. unlike at many other establishments.

It's the only way to go. Dwights is a close second.

Just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information