Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Board of Regents recommends merging SUNO, UNO

Default Help us or hurt us?

Governor Jackal's proposal to merge UNO and SUNO includes moving the merged insitution forom the LSU system to the UL system. The plan is being sold to UNO alum and students as a godsend because it would mean finally getting out from under LSU. (They feel like LSU has been holding them down. Imagine that!) Would having UNO in the UL system be good for us or bad for us?

Default Re: Help us or hurt us?

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    _ Governor Jackal's proposal to merge UNO and SUNO includes moving the merged insitution forom the LSU system to the UL system. The plan is being sold to UNO alum and students as a godsend because it would mean finally getting out from under LSU. (They feel like LSU has been holding them down. Imagine that!) Would having UNO in the UL system be good for us or bad for us? _
    Not sure how that would work. I thought they might go to the Southern system.

Personally I don't want them. Us and Tech should dominate the Louisiana system.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Help us or hurt us?

I like Governor Jindal's idea of merging UNO and SUNO, but I definitely think they should keep them in the lsua&mc@br System and not dump them off on the UL System.

4. Default Re: Help us or hurt us?

_ Governor Jackal's proposal to merge UNO and SUNO includes moving the merged insitution forom the LSU system to the UL system. The plan is being sold to UNO alum and students as a godsend because it would mean finally getting out from under LSU. (They feel like LSU has been holding them down. Imagine that!) Would having UNO in the UL system be good for us or bad for us? _

UNO is running in the red. They built facilites and buildings for almost 17k students. Today they have just over 11k. The state supplies money on a per head basis, and the students pay tuition. Somebody has to make up the red ink, I worry that UNO coming to the ULS will mean that the ULS will have to make up the red ink instead of the LSUS.

I am not worried about UNO challenging us. Lafayette is a dynamic growing metro area and New Orleans metro is stagnent at best. That university will be saddled with the bad local ecnomy for decades.

Default Re: Help us or hurt us?

I think the question that has yet to be answered concerns funding. If the funding that would go to those schools moves with them from their current systems (LSU System and SU System) to the UL System then it shoudl not negatively impact any of us currently in the UL System. However, if as some have suggested, the funding that UNO got stays in the LSU System then it wil negatively impact every school currently in the UL System and help the schools in the LSU System (and we all know that means helping the only campus they really care about). Now I will admit I do not understand that thinking since I thought the funding formula was based on the student poplation so that the funds should follow the school to whatever system it winds up in. But early on there was that question raised that indicated the LSU sytem would benefit financially from this move. Perhaps CajunFun can weigh in on this as this is his area of expertise.

6. Default Re: Help us or hurt us?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ow I will admit I do not understand that thinking since I thought the funding formula was based on the student poplation so that the funds should follow the school to whatever system it winds up in. But early on there was that question raised that indicated the LSU sytem would benefit financially from this move. Perhaps CajunFun can weigh in on this as this is his area of expertise. _
    The problem is that they have lost almos a third of their pre Katrina student population, but the school is still responsible for many costs associated with having the prior student population. So somebody still has to pay for those empty buildings. Right now LSUS is probably underwriting that loss.

Even if the statae ponies up on a per student basis they are short cash on both what the state gives and the tuition. Those bond holders want the money.

Default Board of Regents recommends merging SUNO, UNO

Default Re: Board of Regents recommends merging SUNO, UNO

Albatross!!! Albatross!!!

From the article:

"The consolidation option would involve having separate urban research and metropolitan units within the merged university and the new institution would be put into the University of Louisiana System."

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    Albatross!!! Albatross!!!

From the article:

"The consolidation option would involve having separate urban research and metropolitan units within the merged university and the new institution would be put into the University of Louisiana System."
    Doubt they name it University of Louisiana at New Orleans

They'll just throw it in the UL system to rob money from us rather than LSU. Is that how it works? Maybe I'm wrong

igeaux.mobi

One school from the Southern system, the other from the LSU system.

Where do you put it, oh in the University of Louisiana System of course.

CajunFun, any rationale for this move?

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ One school from the Southern system, the other from the LSU system.

CajunFun, any rationale for this move? _
    Not Fun, but its simple. Put two universities losing money and put them in a system other than yours.

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    _ Doubt they name it University of Louisiana at New Orleans

They'll just throw it in the UL system to rob money from us rather than LSU. Is that how it works? Maybe I'm wrong

igeaux.mobi _
    That is exactly what this is about. Jindal is all about LSU.

13. Default Re: Board of Regents recommends merging SUNO, UNO

+1000000

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    _ That is exactly what this is about. Jindal is all about LSU. _

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ One school from the Southern system, the other from the LSU system.

CajunFun, any rationale for this move? _
    LSU was too smart by half.

LSU likes the numbers and prestige that having a system gives them, but they didn't like the fact that UNO often showed them up.

With that, long-time UNO Chancellor Tim Ryan was very aggressive & very pushy. So when LSU tried to disproportionately shove budget cuts onto UNO, Ryan screamed, and they canned him.

Bad decision. Before they fired him, he could rant and rave within the System. After?

He could rant and rave in public: https://ultoday.com/node/1929

Which gave Jindal the excuse he'd been looking for. Soon after that's published, Jindal proposes merging UNO-SUNO, and putting it in the UL System. UNO doesn't want SUNO, but I suspect it's an oblique way to close SUNO.

If the new entity comes to our System, they will bring their own formula funding with them. We don't lose anything, and the UL System gains a pretty good research university, some prestige, a boost in total numbers, and a little more clout.

It's not clear how pro-LSU Jindal is. I think his parents taught there, but there have been some subtle signals that he is no LSU homey.

PS The article says that UNO produces more research per faculty than any other state university.

I don't think that's still true. I think UL is now the leader.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information