Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Geaux and the Cajun sounding connection

I have a Question Geaux and the Cajun sounding connection

I dont think LSU deserves to be able to use "GEAUX". How many people in Baton Rouge can speak french anyway?

Default Re: Who has dibs on Geaux

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun08 View Post
    _ I dont think LSU deserves to be able to use "GEAUX". How many people in Baton Rouge can speak french anyway? _
    "Geaux" is not French.

I do agree though. Baton Rouge is not Cajun, it's not in Acadiana. I guess there aren't any cutsie red-neck variations on the word "go" for them to use.

In general, the use of -eaux for every word that ends in the long O sound is rampant in Baton Rouge and they really need to stop. When Baton Rouge isn't trying to be Cajun, they're trying to be "the new Austin" or replace New Orleans. It's sad. They're more like the new Birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Power View Post
    _ "Geaux" is not French.

I do agree though. Baton Rouge is not Cajun, it's not in Acadiana. I guess there aren't any cutsie red-neck variations on the word "go" for them to use.

In general, the use of -eaux for every word that ends in the long O sound is rampant in Baton Rouge and they really need to stop. When Baton Rouge isn't trying to be Cajun, they're trying to be "the new Austin" or replace New Orleans. It's sad. They're more like the new Birmingham. _
    From my experiences in there in RedStick, I can safely say that "Baton Rouge has no soulit is just there."

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by KAjunRaider View Post
    From my experiences in there in RedStick, I can safely say that "Baton Rouge has no soulit is just there."
    But they have awesome football @ LSU, and after all.isn't that what matters?

Z

Until it became "cool" to be associated with Cajun culture, the people in Baton Rouge looked down on their cajun neighbors. I would guess UL fans used the Geaux first, but that doesn't even matter-----it's ours because we are in Acadiana. Baton Rouge is no more cajun than Lake Charles, or Shreveport---all of who made fun of coonasses until there was money to be made associating yourself with the culture

Default Lafayette pronunciation

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    _ Until it became "cool" to be associated with Cajun culture, the people in Baton Rouge looked down on their cajun neighbors. I would guess UL fans used the Geaux first, but that doesn't even matter-----it's ours because we are in Acadiana. Baton Rouge is no more cajun than Lake Charles, or Shreveport---all of who made fun of coonasses until there was money to be made associating yourself with the culture _
    Guess you've never been to Head of Island, French Settlement, Pierre Part, and other places around Baton Rouge. I'm from Lafayette, but their are plenty of cajuns in the Baton Rouge area.

Quote Originally Posted by showdog View Post
    _ Guess you've never been to Head of Island, French Settlement, Pierre Part, and other places around Baton Rouge. I'm from Lafayette, but their are plenty of cajuns in the Baton Rouge area.
    Sorry, but I married a girl from Sorrento, so I am familiar with those areas. And they are not Baton Rouge. And Baton Rouge is not Cajun, no matter how many coonasses or Cajun live "near" or even in it. And until recently, when loads of them started moving out of Baton Rouge to areas like Prarieville, the people IN Baton Rouge looked down on the areas you listed as well (some probably still do I would guess).

I have no doubt that the "geaux" spelling was adopted by cajun fans of the Tigers, of which there are legion. That, however, also does not make Baton Rouge a cajun city.

And I figure we can squabble over any non issue we like and it wouldn't affect how many games we win or lose in the least. Unless some of the squabblers are coaches or players in which case they should be run off the team for thinking the answers lie on this board.

_ Guess you've never been to Head of Island, French Settlement, Pierre Part, and other places around Baton Rouge. I'm from Lafayette, but their are plenty of cajuns and coonasses in the Baton Rouge area.
    Seems like you prove a point, there is a difference between staking a claim and part of the culture. I would bet there are French claims all over Louisiana, heck the whole world identifies Louisiana as French. It's just that only in Acadiana and over to Houma are French and Cajun ways part of the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun08 View Post
    _ I dont think LSU deserves to be able to use "GEAUX". How many people in Baton Rouge can speak french anyway? _
    Or English.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMandy View Post
    Or English.

Z

_ Guess you've never been to Head of Island, French Settlement, Pierre Part, and other places around Baton Rouge. I'm from Lafayette, but their are plenty of cajuns and coonasses in the Baton Rouge area.

Let's quit squabbling over non-issues and start figuring out how to win some football games. _

I worked in Baton Rouge (commuting from Laf.) for 4 years for a large Engineering company & a Gas company. In that time, I think I worked with 2-3 guys with a Cajun accent, one being originally from Ville Platte. There are cajun names in Baton Rouge but the people are definitly not like the people in the Acadiana area. Some were very nice but were just different.

GEAUX, GEAUX, GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrySwamp View Post
    I worked in Baton Rouge (commuting from Laf.) for 4 years for a large Engineering company & a Gas company. In that time, I think I worked with 2-3 guys with a Cajun accent, one being originally from Ville Platte. There are cajun names in Baton Rouge but the people are definitly not like the people in the Acadiana area. Some were very nice but were just different.

GEAUX, GEAUX, GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!!
    I lived in Prairieville for a couple of years and worked in BR. There are definitely some Cajuns in Ascension Parish and the other river parishes between BR and NO. There is a definite change when you cross from East BR Parish into Ascension. Unfortunately, most people moving into Ascension (the state's second-fastest growing parish) are not Cajun. There is also a difference in the Cajuns in that area and the ones closer to Lafayette. Both are nice, just a bit different. When I worked in BR, I very rarely ran into anyone with a Cajun accent, even those with "Cajun" last names.

Quote Originally Posted by BonCajun View Post
    _ Seems like you prove a point, there is a difference between staking a claim and part of the culture. I would bet there are French claims all over Louisiana, heck the whole world identifies Louisiana as French. It's just that only in Acadiana and over to Houma are French and Cajun ways part of the culture. _
    Houma is in Acadiana, as is Thibodaux, Galliano, Lake Charles, Cameron, Pierre Part, etc. Acadiana is a 22 parish area.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooj_Cajun_Fan View Post
    _ It comes from an English pronunciaton of a word with a Cajun French accent. Have you ever heard a European French accent? It's completely different from Cajun French accents. That why we pronounce it that way. _
    I lived in France. What you say is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Membertou View Post
    _ I lived in France. What you say is ridiculous. _
    I just came back from France. What I say is not ridiculous.

It's a different dialect. It's like saying that someone from England sounds the same as someone from America, they simply don't. Especially someone from the Yorkshire region of England, alot of those guys we would barely be able to understand.

The Cajun people were separated from France for hundreds of years. Over that time the dialect changed, words had to be invented, and pronunciations changed due to English and Spanish influences.among other things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information