Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Former UL O-Line Coach Ron Hudson

Default Re: Ron Hudson named UL Offensive Coordinator

Can anybody tell me of another coach who doesn't wear a headset? None come to my mind and certainly none of respectability?

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ Can anybody tell me of another coach who doesn't wear a headset? None come to my mind and certainly none of respectability? _
    http://fausports.cstv.com/sports/m-f._howard00.html

Default headsets

_ Can anybody tell me of another coach who doesn't wear a headset? None come to my mind and certainly none of respectability? _
    when did rickey stop wearing them?

Track & Field Re: Ron Hudson named UL Offensive Coordinator

Joe Paterno, Mike Dubose, and Howard Schnellenberger

Default Re: headsets

Quote Originally Posted by snote View Post
    _ when did rickey stop wearing them? _
    When he got out of the booth at VT and became our head coach.

O.K. You got me on the other three coaches, well 2 coaches in Paterno and Schnellenberger. I don't quite put Dubose under the term "respectability" and I think I'd have to give the benefit of the doubt to the other two considering what they've done (Win National Championships and all!)

Default headsets

when did rickey stop wearing them?
    _ When he got out of the booth at VT and became our head coach.

let's see bet the superbowl or bet on this? (grins)

Default Re: headsets

Quote Originally Posted by snote View Post
    _ let's see bet the superbowl or bet on this? (grins) _
    Are you serious? You can't actually say that he uses a headset. I get it, this is a joke. O.K.

Jim Tressel doesn't wear one all game long.

Does Mac Brown wear a headset?

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    Does Mac Brown wear a headset?
    I've seen him wear one sometimes. Not sure if he wears it regularly.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I've seen a lot of head coaches lift one side of the headset during a game, usually when a hip hop song comes on or a commercial break. They usually take that opportunity to ask a ref what the score is, or ask a coordinator why the crowd got louder.

Seriously, I like the move this year (since Anderson left) with the Munoz addition and stepping Hudson up. With a major staff change only one year ago, the offense needed the continuity more than to be introduced to a new OC and his idiosyncrasies.

Our offense was fairly solid last year, and I see it ratcheting up this year. The playcalling was the worst aspect of last year's offensive efforts.

Oh, and if the temperatures drop for most of next season's games, I think Bustle will sport some earmuffs. I mean headphones. And, I hear he has created some HC over-ride signals when he does not like the hand signaled play calls. It involves use of his middle finger lifted just slightly above his head, with a half turn and stare at the OC. If he completely turns around and shoots with both barrels, it means that he strongly disagrees. These gestures only require a change of play. He will not provide clues as to what he wants. If he calls a timeout, all bets are off.

THe two winningest coaches in 1-A history, Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden, do not wear headsets.

The two winningest of all time? Sounds respectable to me.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    _ THe two winningest coaches in 1-A history, Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden, do not wear headsets.

The two winningest of all time? Sounds respectable to me. _
    Well, all due respect, but headphones weighed 80lbs and were massively unreliable when these guys started their professions, and both can't hear anymore anyway. I think we might want to keep the HC headphone discussion in the realm of the under 70 crowd.

I am puzzled why Bustle does not wear headphones. He isn't very animated on the sidelines. He seems to operate more like a spectator and then as a Wal-Mart greeter for players as they come off the field. As a fan, I get a little irritated being as animated as I am at the game, only to see him clapping and patting and being the gentle "that's OK, we'll do better the next series" soft-delivery motivator.

As I've seen it over the years, there are two basic schools of successful HC on Saturday. The dominant figure-head coach that uses his authority to set and maintain the intensity of his staff and team (headphones or not), or the one that dives head first into the play-calling (headphones a must).

I do like the guy, however, and think the players like and respond to him. If we get dominant on Saturday, I don't really care how he gets it done.

UL Football Re: Ron Hudson named UL Offensive Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I do like the guy, however, and think the players like and respond to him. If we get dominant on Saturday, I don't really care how he gets it done. _
    That is the point. Being dominant does not come with a certain personality or a certain way of doing things. John Wooden the most gentle man in basketball, at least in public vs Bobby Knight one of the most volatile. Both dominated their contemporaries.

Come December 2008 it won't matter if he wore head sets or not. All that will matter is the record and hopefully a spot in New Orleans.

I believe that when a team is not doing well, there is great scrutiny on the coach and staff. People believe that when a team is not excelling or winning, the coach should use all available opportunities to better the team's prospects of winning. That is where the criticism of Bustle not wearing headsets comes in. We were not winning. He didn't have the headsets on. He was not taking advantage of all available opportunities to put his team in a winning position. His system doesn't work.

When a team is winning, the old addage applies: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The same goes for a coach with a stellar track record. Such a coach is given a pass from the harsh criticism mentioned above (al least for some time). He won without the headsets. He is winning without the headsets. His system works.

All that being said, maybe Bustle was a victim of circumstances (lack of funding, NCAA sanctions for t-sirts, etc.) and we are just beginning to see his true abilities with better resources in place and coming into place (indoor practice facility, turf on field, stadium renevations, etc.). Many would disagree with that though.

I hope that Bustle succeeds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information