Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread: Indoor Practice Facility

Default Indoor Practice Facility

Folks, it seems that our fearless leaders are at it again. Current plans for the Facility do not include an indoor track facility. As someone else pointed out, Tennis could also use an indoor venue, but to the best of my knowledge, it has not even been considered.

Since this facility is being funded largely by student fees, I have drafted a petition to the SGA asking that they endorse the inclusion of both a Competition Grade indoor track facility, and an indoor tennis facility. Both could use the same seating and occupy the same area, just not at the same time.

Please go to the url shown below and sign this petition, and send all your friends. Thanks.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ULIPF/petition.html

I will be happy to sign it and have spoken to Gerald Hebert about this a few times.

Money and space are supposedly the factors, but I told him to go take a look at the gym at Ascension Day School. That gym has an elvated track that doesn't interfere with the floor space. Although it would prevent the university from hosting indoor track meets, it is an option.

Imagine the money we could generate IF they would actually consider the indoor track facility? I think it's a case of pay me now, or pay me twice later. I also imagine the money is coming mostly from football supporters, therefore, as long as they're covered the money generators are happy.

I am all for LET'S DO It RIGHT THE FIRST TIME FOR A CHANGE!!!

I posted it before and I will post it again! I am willing to meet with ALL that care on a WEEKLY basis to come up with concrete figures on a few projects. 1) Weight room addition(10 or so years ago cost $850,000) to double its size with present look would cost somewhere around $1,000,000+ 2) addition to Offices to cost atleast $750,000+ IF WE WERE TO USE THE EXISTING WEIGHT ROOM FOR THE OFFICE SPACE(VERY NICE AND QUICK TO TRANSFORM) AND WOULD SAVE ATLEAST $250,000+ THEN ADD ONE(1) SECTION TO THE LENGTH OF THE PRACTICE FACILITY FOR THE WEIGHTROOM FOR NEXT TO NOTHING COST WISE AND DOUBLE TO TRIPLE(FIGURES TO BE DETERMINED)SIZE OF THE WEIGHTROOM! PUT THE OFFICES IN THE EXISTING WEIGHT ROOM AREA BY ADDING WALLS, ETC.(WITHOUT WEATHER PROBLEMS) AND BOOM SAVE A MINIMUM OF $1,000,000!!!!!

DaddyCajun needs your help!!

Just spoke with a "Football Money Generator" and they are not the cause also want it to be done right and with cost efficiency. He will present this to Dr. A with all the facts and figures, so lets get them together!!

DaddyCajun!!!

Daddy Cajun,

Let me know how I can get more involved. It's fun bumping around on this message board and posting, but I want to be part of the solution.

Neither money nor space is the problem. The problem is short-sightedness. Like Daddy Cajun said, they would rather pay twice later than once now. You don't want the elevated track. It costs just as much and can't generate revenue. A competition track could pay for itself in 10 years or less.

Agree. They need to take a hard look into the "future" and determine what the actual NEED is; then balance that with space and money constraints. The indoor track seems like a good idea, and like many have stated, could generate income. That's probably something the administration hadn't considered. I realize that this thing is primarily designed for our teams to practice in; specifically football, and I've got no problem with that. But, step back, get your sights on the BIG PICTURE, then match requirements with resources to get the most bang for the buck. Seems like the idea of a larger weight room in this facility makes sense too.
    Shof

"That's probably something the administration hadn't considered."

I wish that were true. In fact, when the Indoor Facility first came up, the administration was given estimates of revenue generated and expenses saved by having a competition venue in the indoor facility.

One way you can help is to go sign the petition, and get your friends to sign it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver
    Folks, it seems that our fearless leaders are at it again. Current plans for the Facility do not include an indoor track facility. As someone else pointed out, Tennis could also use an indoor venue, but to the best of my knowledge, it has not even been considered.

Since this facility is being funded largely by student fees, I have drafted a petition to the SGA asking that they endorse the inclusion of both a Competition Grade indoor track facility, and an indoor tennis facility. Both could use the same seating and occupy the same area, just not at the same time.

Please go to the url shown below and sign this petition, and send all your friends. Thanks.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ULIPF/petition.html
    i understand and can appreciate what it is you are doing, but i questionwhy would you want seating for tennis and track(adding the two)? my point is coach Rob has been stuck in that little office underneath the stadium with two secretaries when he was promised long ago he would get new locker room and office space for himself and his coachesnever happened, so here you have a venue (very successful)thats being overlooked, for me i don't care about an indoor track and tennis, as it is we may not get the practice facility itself with the way things are going, so please help me understand all of this and why is baseball being overlooked, i'm sorry.

Will have to look at the petition from home. Filters at work are picky.

DC - would love to join you for lunch; but the 7 hr commute each way would suck! BTW, how is the Swamp Gate project coming along? Will all 4 be ready for next season?

Shof

Oldman - I thought the original plans called for baseball and softball to have room in the facility for practice in inclement weather. Now, I haven't seen a diagram of the inside to see exactly "what" they could practice. I figured batting cages and pitching areas at the least.

Anybody have any diagrams of the proposed facility? I realize they would be somewhat old if you did.

Look, I am not going to get into a battle with you on Track vs Baseball. All 'Minor' sports programs are under-funded and low-balled on facilities.

Suffice it to say, the Indoor Facility IS going to be built. It is also the perfect place for competition grade facilities for Track and Tennis. Ergo, those facilities should be included when it is built. The seating would be like the seating at LSU's indoor facility; it folds and goes into storage when not in use.

Nobody is saying that Robe doesn't need or deserve more than he is getting. [How about Coach Veazey with a tiny office and NO secretary? And no fax machine, and no internet access?]

yes, you are right.but i'm talking about lockers and offices and there were plans for those.

this is not about track v baseball, this is about facility improvements that was promised (not to mention)tunnel from dugout to locker room. i'm not trying to compare any sport if i was then baseball and CWS sounds familiar also i'm not trying to bash your ideas its all i hear is, "if we have enough money to fund the projects," i feel they should be rewarded sorry.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread Information