Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2011 UL Spring Football

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    who is #83 the wide reciever?????
    83 is James butler - should've played a lot more last year and he's a great kid to boot !!

igeaux.mobi

2. UL Football Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbbaseball7 View Post
    _ T,
    Did Brad get any reps on Sunday. I know his shoulder was sore after last Sunday's practice.
    Thanks for all you updates, really appreciate them. _
    He ran some Jumbo Package in the back field but no snaps at QB...

Default Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Quote Originally Posted by CalcasieuCajun View Post
    IMHO: Give me the QB that can hurt you with his feet but kills you with his “head and arm” first, second, third progression then and only then he gets the ball up field by running. Payton Manning, Drew Bress, Tom Brady, Big Ben and so on to name a few examples……….Throw the ball downfield is ALWAYS your best option.
    Love ya Cajuns.... _
    While this is definitely true at the professional level it's not necesserily true at the college level. Vince Young, Michael Vick, Tim Tebowe, Charlie Ward, Colt McCoy, Pat White, Roger Starbauch, Tommie Frasier are some of the greatest college quarterbacks. I believe that if we want to run a true spread offensive then rule number 1 is our quarterback has to be the best player on the field period. No offense to Masson but he is not a spread quarterback. I too have faith in our coaching staff and I believe Masson will be starting in Stillwater but I also think he won't have to much room for error because he has a few really athletic guys behind him.

4. UL Football Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Chris Mason may have more wiggle room than you think…

We haven’t even mentioned Brad Maguire, Brady Thomas, and Blake Hollingsworth 3 very good QB’s? Be aware that nowadays defenses can stop any running QB if he doesn’t have the little passing thing down pat. The spread attack or west coast offense is based on throwing the ball first with safety outlets in the bubbles and underneath should the need arise.

I do challenge all to take in a practice or two and watch these young men work out. IMHO: Even with Sunday’s performances, the rotation order at QB is in order with what I’ve witnessed and what the Cajuns need to be successful. Our Cajuns have one of the best and deepest receiving corps around, object being to let them run with the ball after catching it downfield and allowing whomever the QB is to live for another play!

This is the kind of offense that keeps on producing with any of the QB’s behind the ball and not built around one persons running ability!

Love ya Cajuns.

Saying we have one of the best receiving corps is a tad outlandish after the amount of drops we've had the past couple of years. There's a lot of talent there, but they need to catch the ball in games before you say that.

Quote Originally Posted by CalcasieuCajun View Post
    _ Chris Mason may have more wiggle room than you think…

We haven’t even mentioned Brad Maguire, Brady Thomas, and Blake Hollingsworth 3 very good QB’s? Be aware that nowadays defenses can stop any running QB if he doesn’t have the little passing thing down pat. The spread attack or west coast offense is based on throwing the ball first with safety outlets in the bubbles and underneath should the need arise.

I do challenge all to take in a practice or two and watch these young men work out. IMHO: Even with Sunday’s performances, the rotation order at QB is in order with what I’ve witnessed and what the Cajuns need to be successful. Our Cajuns have one of the best and deepest receiving corps around, object being to let them run with the ball after catching it downfield and allowing whomever the QB is to live for another play!

This is the kind of offense that keeps on producing with any of the QB’s behind the ball and not built around one persons running ability!

Love ya Cajuns. _
    I don't know what offense you have been watching, but the one I saw was still a basic spread offense with a few twists thrown in. The spread offense is definitely predicated on having a dual threat QB. That means by necessity & design he will have to run the ball as well as throw it.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    _ While this is definitely true at the professional level it's not necesserily true at the college level. Vince Young, Michael Vick, Tim Tebowe, Charlie Ward, Colt McCoy, Pat White, Roger Starbauch, Tommie Frasier are some of the greatest college quarterbacks. I believe that if we want to run a true spread offensive then rule number 1 is our quarterback has to be the best player on the field period. No offense to Masson but he is not a spread quarterback. I too have faith in our coaching staff and I believe Masson will be starting in Stillwater but I also think he won't have to much room for error because he has a few really athletic guys behind him. _

Being a good spread QB doesn't necessarily have anything to do with athleticism. It obviously helps to have a QB who has the ability to move around and make plays with his legs also, the spread is run in many ways. We will likely incorporate more traditional sets along with a spread passing attack. In this case, I'd think a QB who knows an offense, progressions and has accuracy will trump the others. Our passing attack will likely use a lot of shorter routes, screens and variation. I'm not sure why you suggest that Masson is not a good spread QB but he has been our most consistent option the past several years and has really produced when healthy. I do like the fact that we have some good depth at the position but its anybody's guess as to who will truly start next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ While discussing QB's, offenses, and schemes, let's keep in mind these FACTS:

Our most productive offensive years in the Bustle era were when the QB position RAN the ball 40% of the time he touched it.

Going further, in those very same years, we had a 65/35 run/pass play percentage breakdown overall.

Last year at Mississippi State? Starting QB ran the ball 47% of the time he touched it. Also, they had a 67/33 run/pass ratio. _

And injuries also derailed the year with us not being able to keep Desormeaux or Babb healthy for large portions of the year. When Desormeaux was out with injury, we didn't have anybody behind him with the skills he had along with the balance in the offense to sustain success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    _ I still haven't seen anyone mention who number 72 is. I'm telling you guys this guy has the stuff to play at the NFL level. If he plays to his full potential this guy's gonna be great. _

As a word of caution, temper that enthusiasm as Bates was arguably our most inconsistent lineman last year although that was hard to notice as the entire group underachieved. Let's let him and the rest of this unit get an entire offseason in before we crown them anything. I do think they will be improved but I want to see them do this over a longer trial period.

_ I don't know what offense you have been watching, but the one I saw was still a basic spread offense with a few twists thrown in. The spread offense is definitely predicated on having a dual threat QB. That means by necessity & design he will have to run the ball as well as throw it. _

Kyle, not necessarily. It depends on how you structure the offense. The spread is very versatile and is able to be molded to the strengths of an offense's personnel. Houston runs a very pass heavy spread attack while Tulsa, Nevada, ECU etc.. run a very balanced version where they allow the QB to beat teams with their legs. BTW, Masson is very agile and has better speed than most give him credit for. He's had many nice runs and and is able to really hurt teams with his legs if called upon although he'd rather pass the ball. He can fit this system nicely.

igeaux.mobi

Can I throw my 2cents? Mason looked pretty good last year when he had time to throw. However, he was very poor when pressure came up the middle. Once he was running for his life he rarely made a positive play. Going on history I think our OL will be weak again. I think a QB who can make something out of nothing will be needed to consistently move the chains. Blaine may not be the guy, but I think UL will need a superior athlete at the QB position until they can get a legitimate starting 5 up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbbaseball7 View Post
    _ T,
    Did Brad get any reps on Sunday. I know his shoulder was sore after last Sunday's practice.
    Thanks for all you updates, really appreciate them. _
    No sir, he ran the jumbo formation on one series, but they kept him out of the scrimmage for the most part.

13. UL Football Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    _ Saying we have one of the best receiving corps is a tad outlandish after the amount of drops we've had the past couple of years. There's a lot of talent there, but they need to catch the ball in games before you say that. _
    We had a few problems the past years that look to be working out right now.
    Again go watch these guys workout and I'm sure it will not look "outlandish" what so ever.

The QB's are doing better day in and day out getting the ball to the receivers. Coach Hud counts the catches in a row during drills and we are now up to 36 in a row before a drop or under/over throw.

Love ya Cajuns....

14. UL Football Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

_ I don't know what offense you have been watching, but the one I saw was still a basic spread offense with a few twists thrown in. The spread offense is definitely predicated on having a dual threat QB. That means by necessity & design he will have to run the ball as well as throw it. _
    Keep watching, we are in the first few weeks of a new administration. The two plays that Blaine "rolled eyes" with was "zone read draws" off the spread.

Please understand that I'm not here to compare credentials or coach anybody up, but I have been heavily involved in organized football for over 40 years and really impressed with what I'm witnessing in such a short time.

My point being we are heading in a good direction with much promise, that's all....

Have a great day....

15. UL Football Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    _ igeaux.mobi

Can I throw my 2cents? Mason looked pretty good last year when he had time to throw. However, he was very poor when pressure came up the middle. Once he was running for his life he rarely made a positive play. Going on history I think our OL will be weak again. I think a QB who can make something out of nothing will be needed to consistently move the chains. Blaine may not be the guy, but I think UL will need a superior athlete at the QB position until they can get a legitimate starting 5 up front. _
    The O-line has looked very good so far this spring. Coaching!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information