Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 UL Spring Football

Default Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    _ Well Mr. Bates is gonna be a microcosm of the changes that will become evident for this football team. I went back & checked & see that he is a converted guard. It makes sense seeing his run blocking skills & lateral movement. I haven't been reading positive posts about this team's OL due to their lack of success last year. This is a place where I foresee the difference in coaching making a huge difference in performance.

Not having followed this team in the past I will say that you cannot combine a non-mobile QB with a poor blocking line & hope to have any level of sustained success. I see some very good potential with this team's OL & there is a nice depth level there as well. The coaches will have to get these guys in top form, but if they do, this team will have a very good O line with some good depth. _
    I hope that you're right on the Offensive line because they were truly offensive last season. All 3 QB's dealt with injuries at some point last season and a lot of it came from how poor the OL played. Hell, I remember atleast 2 times last season seeing a guy in the backfield what seemed like before the ball was snapped, one time had Masson injured badly. Everything starts in the trenches, and we need to hope our Oline and Dline improve dramatically.

While discussing QB's, offenses, and schemes, let's keep in mind these FACTS:

Our most productive offensive years in the Bustle era were when the QB position RAN the ball 40% of the time he touched it.

Going further, in those very same years, we had a 65/35 run/pass play percentage breakdown overall.

Last year at Mississippi State? Starting QB ran the ball 47% of the time he touched it. Also, they had a 67/33 run/pass ratio.

Comparing a backup QB to the undisputed greatest player bar none that has ever wore a Cajun uniform regardless of sport is beyond an insult.

Anyone who can do that obviously has never seen the greatest college qb I have ever seen play ball before.
    Screw Cam Newton. Give me #1 any day of the week.

Not only is Brian Mitchell the best QB UL has ever had, he is one of the greatest of all time period!

If he had played at Notre Dame that year he would have won the heisman.

He was so good we turned down offering Brett Favre.
    And it was very wise if Brett not coming here, because if he would have come to USL, he would have had the best seat in the house watching Mitchell from the sidelines for 4 years.

_ Well Mr. Bates is gonna be a microcosm of the changes that will become evident for this football team. I went back & checked & see that he is a converted guard. It makes sense seeing his run blocking skills & lateral movement. I haven't been reading positive posts about this team's OL due to their lack of success last year. This is a place where I foresee the difference in coaching making a huge difference in performance.

Not having followed this team in the past I will say that you cannot combine a non-mobile QB with a poor blocking line & hope to have any level of sustained success. I see some very good potential with this team's OL & there is a nice depth level there as well. The coaches will have to get these guys in top form, but if they do, this team will have a very good O line with some good depth. _
    I did a complete run down on every group from the scrimmage, Bates is in the write up.

But I will say this.

Despite kyle's crazy comments about our backup QB I say give the guy a pass.

He is trying to become hardcore UL.
    Thats commendable.
    I mean he was one of the 200 people who went to the practice, that shows a real desire to really be a true fan. I doubt that there were any bandwagon jumpers at that practice.

I dont think kyle is trying to talk down to anyone, he is just giving his opinion thats void of any history.

One lesson to learn though is to never ever compare anyone to the great #1.

That is like putting a Cam Newton jersey on Bear Bryants statue.
    Dont go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    _ Comparing a backup QB to the undisputed greatest player bar none that has ever wore a Cajun uniform regardless of sport is beyond an insult.

Anyone who can do that obviously has never seen the greatest college qb I have ever seen play ball before.
    Screw Cam Newton. Give me #1 any day of the week.

Not only is Brian Mitchell the best QB UL has ever had, he is one of the greatest of all time period!

If he had played at Notre Dame that year he would have won the heisman.

He was so good we turned down offering Brett Favre.
    And it was very wise if Brett not coming here, because if he would have come to USL, he would have had the best seat in the house watching Mitchell from the sidelines for 4 years. _
    That's a real nice compliment to Mitchell & he was certainly a great player for UL. Having said that, that was then & this is now. I am saying this guy is straight up faster than Mitchell & is in the same category speed wise as Pat White. When I say this guy is quick & fast I can't make it understood enough how that one step, much less three steps, is the difference in a five yard run & a 95 yard run. This guy is pure greased lightning & I aint overexagurating when I say that. The good thing is he can throw the ball also. He is a dual threat QB in every sense of the word.

This is fun...

Whats the latest on the Panola guy and his ACT?

9. Default Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

I firmly believe the worlds best would be athletes never hit the field.

But they were never given the opportunity.

I can't say there isn't another Brian Mitchell out there.
    igeaux.mobi

10. Default Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I firmly believe the worlds best would be athletes never hit the field.

But they were never given the oportunity.

igeaux.mobi _
    who is #83 the wide reciever?????

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I firmly believe the worlds best would be athletes never hit the field.

But they were never given the oportunity.

igeaux.mobi _
    You know what's funny about this whole thing is I went out there actually knowing a little about LG & Broadway. I didn't really know anything about the rest of the team. When I saw Gauthier at first I thought I was watching Broadway. It took about one play for me to think OMG no wonder everybody is so high on this Broadway guy. By the time I saw Broadway, I was realizing by the size difference in the two that Broadway had to be number 2 & Gauthier must be number 17. I asked a couple of people who was who to confirm, but I couldn't believe how fast & sharp Gauthier was.

You guys need to realize that I had no expectation at all of coming back & posting what I'm now posting. I have no doubt, that should the trend continue that I saw yesterday, that this guy will be starting next year.

12. Default Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ I did a complete run down on every group from the scrimmage, Bates is in the write up. _
    T,
    Did Brad get any reps on Sunday. I know his shoulder was sore after last Sunday's practice.
    Thanks for all you updates, really appreciate them.

13. Default Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

_ You know what's funny about this whole thing is I went out there actually knowing a little about LG & Broadway. I didn't really know anything about the rest of the team. When I saw Gauthier at first I thought I was watching Broadway. It took about one play for me to think OMG no wonder everybody is so high on this Broadway guy. By the time I saw Broadway, I was realizing by the size difference in the two that Broadway had to be number 2 & Gauthier must be number 17. I asked a couple of people who was who to confirm, but I couldn't believe how fast & sharp Gauthier was.

You guys need to realize that I had no expectation at all of coming back & posting what I'm now posting. I have no doubt, that should the trend continue that I saw yesterday, that this guy will be starting next year. _
    I and many others have thought he to be the guy since he got here----Johnny Boy ---he reminds me of your new Bulldog (ZAX---sp) when he waggles or bootlegs---Coaches have always said that the problem has been CONSISTENCY---Have been told that he has the best arm and is the fastest and quickest---I think the best!!!!!

14. UL Football Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

I trust in our coaching staff that looks and works out these young men every day. There is a reason for the current order of QB’s we have right now and I’m sure there will be a reason for the final starting lineup whatever it may be.

IMHO: Give me the QB that can hurt you with his feet but kills you with his “head and arm” first, second, third progression then and only then he gets the ball up field by running. Payton Manning, Drew Bress, Tom Brady, Big Ben and so on to name a few examples……….Throw the ball downfield is ALWAYS your best option.
    Love ya Cajuns....

15. UL Football Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Blaine is a very nice kid and tremendous Athlete with a rocket arm! However, his touch and accuracy leaves something to be desired.

Do yourself a favor and go by practice Wednesday and watch the passing drills, then make up your own mind.
    Love ya Cajuns...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information