Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 UL Spring Football

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    That is like walking around with a banner saying "ASK ME ABOUT #20"

Thanks for observations.

Very informative.

Thanks turbine for spelling it out for bandwagon. Lol

igeaux.mobi

Default Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunsHat View Post
    _ Thanks turbine for spelling it out for bandwagon. Lol

igeaux.mobi _
    Well Duh! on me. I spent my usual 1000 words or more almost complete page rant writing about everything from the crowd to the weather & made every effort to point out many of the positives that I saw & all anyone beaded on was the one non-comment I made about an obviously disgruntled player, who may have just been having a bad hair day for all I KNOW or may just get psyched up by attacking the coaches & then getting body slammed by a defensive player in the middle of the field immediately after the best play of the practice by another player.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ Read more about the running backs in Monday's online and print edition of the DA. It's the next installment of my position-by-position breakdown
    igeaux.mobi _
    Thanks Josh for bringing some sanity back to this thread.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Thanks Josh for bringing some sanity back to this thread.
    For the record I really really liked your observations.
    igeaux.mobi

Kyle...you totally lost me when you said Blaine would be as good or even better than Mitchell. Although I like Blaine, he can't win the starting job...much less out-produce the best athlete ever to come thru here.

Can YOU say...it ain't gonna happen!

igeaux.mobi

6. UL Football Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Hang on for a minute ....

#17 is a "good" QB but keep watching and a few warts will start to show up.....
    For example: You may have missed the 4 roll outs that hit the dirt as fast balls????

He has trouble rolling to his right and making the throw....his cerebral process reading defenses secondary don't look to be as good as other QB's on the team..

# 7 is our starter, and a good one, he just didn't have a good day....

# 83 is very very very special....keep a close eye on this kid, he's the real deal everyday.... This may be one that we have trouble keeping here for four years.....

One thing for sure, our Cajuns are a much better football team than this time last year....Take that to the bank!!!!!

Does anyone know why Blaine didn't participate in the last part of the scrimmage? He had his pads off and was icing his shoulder but does anyone know the extent of the injury?

Quote Originally Posted by CalcasieuCajun View Post
    _ Hang on for a minute ....

#17 is a "good" QB but keep watching and a few warts will start to show up.....
    For example: You may have missed the 4 roll outs that hit the dirt as fast balls????

He has trouble rolling to his right and making the throw....his cerebral process reading defenses secondary don't look to be as good as other QB's on the team..

# 7 is our starter, and a good one, he just didn't have a good day....

# 83 is very very very special....keep a close eye on this kid, he's the real deal everyday.... This may be one that we have trouble keeping here for four years.....

One thing for sure, our Cajuns are a much better football team than this time last year....Take that to the bank!!!!! _
    Kyle has some good observations, but you are correct in that this was just the first scrimmage. None of the QB's started out well in practice because the defense dominated early. Blaine made plays later in the second half, both were huge. Masson had a nice pass to LG in the back of the endzone for a TD in the redzone offense. From the outside, Gautier had a better scrimmage.

#83 is great, but seems folks must have missed #87 Daryl Surgents 60 yard TD catch and several other nice grabs. I thought he had the better scrimmage. Rico Joseph, James Butler, Daryl Surgent and Javon Lawson (before getting hurt) all caught the ball well.

#93 Cardian Hagans is a man and will be all conference eventually. He is flat out the best DL on the roster.

#21 Lance Kelley had a very good scrimmage and is playing OLB, not MLB. He is a natural fit there and can play there at 215lbs.

#5 Bill Bentley and #24 Lionel Stokes had great scrimmages, made big plays. #22 Melvin White also had a good scrimmage.

No RB's stood out early on, but in the second half #6 Rob Walker had some big runs, including one over 30-yards. But once again, Walker ended up on the sideline with an injured shoulder. #20 Aaron Spikes did not help himself much in the eyes of the staff by laying the ball on the ground and showing his immaturity in fighting with Bernard Smith and Lance Kelley. While he redeemed himself somewhat in the second half, he was part of two TO's (fumble and Dean int hit him in the helmet) and that didn't sit well with coach Hudspeth.

Those are just a few of my observations.

9. Default Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

CajunT brings both to the table, (thanks) but I will take observations by numbers anytime I can get it.
    igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    _ Does anyone know why Blaine didn't participate in the last part of the scrimmage? He had his pads off and was icing his shoulder but does anyone know the extent of the injury? _
    Injured his shoulder on a tackle near the sideline. Didn't sound serious, is to get treatment today. He should be fine.

DE Nate Douglas will have surgery on his left shoulder Wednesday to repair a torn labrum. Should be ready to go in August.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ Kyle...you totally lost me when you said Blaine would be as good or even better than Mitchell. Although I like Blaine, he can't win the starting job...much less out-produce the best athlete ever to come thru here.

Can YOU say...it ain't gonna happen!

igeaux.mobi _
    Well tell me that when you see them scrimage. I'm telling you this guy might not have had the best completion percentage on the field, but he made decisions way far faster & executed the offense at a way faster pace than any other QB. He attacked the defense & didn't turn the ball over. He would rather throw the ball away & let the offense live to see another play than hold on to the ball & risk taking a sack or having a turnover. He knew what he was doing & did it. I was extremely impressed everything he did. He even handed the ball off better than his competition. He knows this offense & is a very quick decision maker. He is also lightning fast & his play had the crowd oohing & aahing almost every play he had. I want to see more of this guy.

Now does he have the size to pass the "eyeball" test of the other guys? No. But we can see what the eyeball test means in colege. Just LOOK at the Big East in basketball.

Brian Mitchell or better??? Are you kidding me??? I think it's a little too early for that comparison. Just win baby.

I still haven't seen anyone mention who number 72 is. I'm telling you guys this guy has the stuff to play at the NFL level. If he plays to his full potential this guy's gonna be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    I still haven't seen anyone mention who number 72 is. I'm telling you guys this guy has the stuff to play at the NFL level. If he plays to his full potential this guy's gonna be great.
    Leonardo Bates

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    _ Leonardo Bates

igeaux.mobi _
    Well Mr. Bates is gonna be a microcosm of the changes that will become evident for this football team. I went back & checked & see that he is a converted guard. It makes sense seeing his run blocking skills & lateral movement. I haven't been reading positive posts about this team's OL due to their lack of success last year. This is a place where I foresee the difference in coaching making a huge difference in performance.

Not having followed this team in the past I will say that you cannot combine a non-mobile QB with a poor blocking line & hope to have any level of sustained success. I see some very good potential with this team's OL & there is a nice depth level there as well. The coaches will have to get these guys in top form, but if they do, this team will have a very good O line with some good depth.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread Information