Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 UL Spring Football

Default Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Spikes and a defensive player got into a little skirmish after one of the long plays, it was broken up. Spikes was sent to the sidelines. Players were mouthing off. No big deal this kind of stuff happens in football.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Spikes and a defensive player got into a little skirmish after one of the long plays, it was broken up. Spikes was sent to the sidelines. Players were mouthing off. No big deal this kind of stuff happens in football.

Thanks!

igeaux.mobi

_ Spikes and a defensive player got into a little skirmish after one of the long plays, it was broken up. Spikes was sent to the sidelines. Players were mouthing off. No big deal this kind of stuff happens in football. _
    Sounds like good competitive spirit! Close the book on that topic.

I'm glad to see both #17 and #5 playing at a high level! I'm worried about our D-line though...I'm thinking that will be our Achilles heel.

Quote Originally Posted by KACajun View Post
    _ Thanks!

igeaux.mobi _
    It was a lot more than that from what I saw. Hud ran 20 off the field after he fumbled twice in a row, then said he wanted a running back who could run the ball or at least hold on to the ball & 20 went ballistic. He & one of the assistants, the RB coach I would imagine got into it big time. Then he wen to the sidelines to sulk for about 10 minutes. When Gauthier broke his big run the next thing I saw was 20 on the field by the coaches again & one of the defensive players took his butt to the ground. He wasn't even in on the play. I watched this guy quite a bit during practice & what I saw didn't look like a guy who is long for this team. That's it. happy now?

Don't know why bandwagon was so "hush hush" about it, it's football! Emotions get high in this sport, beating around the bush only sparked further interest. Thanks for clearing things up. And I too am really glad to hear gauthier is playing like a beast! I wouldn't mind gauthier and Masson splitting reps and Masson winning the job. This will only make Blaine want it more, then Blaine can be the MAN next season while broadway learns the ropes this season and next season he will push Blaine! It's gonna be a really interesting spring game! I really wanna see RB production this season, last season was PITIFUL! No disrespect to streeter, he would have helped team a bunch if it weren't for that injury, he looked good on his limited time with team!

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    _ Weather: absolutely gorgeous.

Crowd: nice. Well in excess of 200 with 175 solid throughout.

Coaches: Very spirited. No doubt who is in control. One does not want coach to tell him to take a knee. Taking a knee consists of hauling a shot put sized weight around the football field. Wearing a yellow jersey doesn't look like too much fun either. I don't know who is keeping tabs on that kind of stuff, but they are doing their job.

Practice pace: nice flow. There was a lot of movement from one drill to another. switching from offensive & defensive situations to special teams & back to situational football.

Players: Please don't be offended if you have a friend, son of a friend, or son on the team & I failed to mention them. From my very limited view point on the sideline I did manage to see some standout players today.

1) QB: Number 17 is by far the best QB. He has the speed & confidence to play QB at the highest level & when he was on the field it was an electric feeling in the crowd. He did everything well & was the best athelete & fastest player on the field. This guy definitely deserves playing time & for my money will be the starter this year & possibly conference player of the year.

Number 7 was ok. He threw the ball pretty well & looked good at times.

Number 2 was more unsure of himself & the offense. He has talent & may develop, but this job belongs to 17. Can you say Brian Mitchell or better?

2) Offensive line: Number 72 is potential all conference & future NFL player. He has the size, speed, & lateral movement & attitude to play at the next level. He does need to focus & remember that there are people watching him on every play & therefore there are no plays off.

Number 71 is a solid center & could be an all conference or honorable mention player. Overall, the offensive line looked pretty good & should be a strong suit of this team.

3) Recievers: number 83 looks to be the best reciever we have. Tight end is a solid position & the guys we have all seem to be solid run blockers & good pass catching TEs.

4) RBs: Number 6 is our best RB. There isn't much depth there & I'm not even going to talk about number 20.

5) Defensive Line: This was just as I suspected. We have no interior DL. I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but straight up, Justin Hamilton better be able to step up & play day one, because we have as many 3 technique DLs as we do true centers on the basketball team.

Number 93 looked pretty good at times playing 5 technique & could be a pretty solid D end. Number 44 has some potenetial to be an all conference or honorable mention, but must not overcommit to ball fakes.

6) Number 21 is just a good overachieving ML. he is a little small & with no interior lineman to keep him clean, he will have his hands full & health will become an issue for him, but he has good range & tackling skills & never takes a play off.

7) Corner & safety: No comment on safeties except to say that our perimeter defense was the best part of the defense I saw on the field today.

Number 5 is one hell of a football player. He is cocky, arrogant, funny, & oh BTW, he can play. No doubt, he has the stuff to be all conference & a possible future NFL player & he doesn't mind letting you know it either. I really like this guy.

No comment on punting, but the back up kicker looked very good.

Now these are just observations from an average joe with a bad sideline view from one practice, so please post any other observations, but don't hate on the messenger too badly. _
    Surely you know a couple of players names.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunsHat View Post
    _ Don't know why bandwagon was so "hush hush" about it, it's football! Emotions get high in this sport, beating around the bush only sparked further interest. Thanks for clearing things up. And I too am really glad to hear gauthier is playing like a beast! I wouldn't mind gauthier and Masson splitting reps and Masson winning the job. This will only make Blaine want it more, then Blaine can be the MAN next season while broadway learns the ropes this season and next season he will push Blaine! It's gonna be a really interesting spring game! I really wanna see RB production this season, last season was PITIFUL! No disrespect to streeter, he would have helped team a bunch if it weren't for that injury, he looked good on his limited time with team!

igeaux.mobi _
    I didn't beat around the bush on this thing. Everyone else beat around the bush. I didn't really want to talk about it, but I aint gonna lie about it either. This guy has a bad attitude & if it don't get good in a hurry, he's gonna worki his way off the team in a hurry! NOW, that's all there is to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    _ Surely you know a couple of players names. _
    I would rather let those who know for sure identify the guys by name.

Everyone knew that spikes had a big head coming into this school, he said he would break fenroys records while he was being recruited...we all know that isn't gonna happen now, but as long as he is productive on the field and doesn't get into trouble off the field, I dont care what he says or does.

igeaux.mobi

_ Agreed...

Rob Walker (better known as Mamou by his teammates) did have a great practice today. He ran hard for all three teams and showed skill. Yobes also had a pretty good practice. You're right we don't have a lot of dept at running back so hopefully those freshmen coming in will be able to step up.

No single receiver has really stepped up but I notice they aren't dropping passes. I like that. LaDarius had a really nice one handed catch early in practice and really pumped coach Hud up. I'm really looking forward to seeing Boris Anyama (#84) when he gets healthy. He is a big, athletic guys who will go up and get the ball like LaDarius.

Gautier looked really good today also. I would like to see him get some time against the first D. He didn't practice the last part of the scrimmage and was on the sideline icing his shoulder. Does anyone know what happened or how severe??

Broadway looks a little confused but I guess that can be expected. He showed great athleticism and threw some good balls at times. Unless our QB's get the injury bug he will be red-shirted but he IS the future of this team.

#5 Dwight Bill Bentley will hopefully be our shut down corner. You're right he has "it." Masson wouldn't even throw to his side during scrimmages so we didn't really get to see him. He's also not scared to tackle. I like him. A LOT!

Great intensity from the coaches and players! First offense took a few drives to get on the same page but ended very well. Second offense moved the ball very well while Gautier was in there. It's a process and they have some work to do but they are working REALLY hard and have a lot of heart. The fuse is being lit! _
    I noticed Bandwagon King was impressed with No. 17 at QB. That is Blaine Gauthier.

_ It was a lot more than that from what I saw. Hud ran 20 off the field after he fumbled twice in a row, then said he wanted a running back who could run the ball or at least hold on to the ball & 20 went ballistic. He & one of the assistants, the RB coach I would imagine got into it big time. Then he wen to the sidelines to sulk for about 10 minutes. When Gauthier broke his big run the next thing I saw was 20 on the field by the coaches again & one of the defensive players took his butt to the ground. He wasn't even in on the play. I watched this guy quite a bit during practice & what I saw didn't look like a guy who is long for this team. That's it. happy now? _
    If Aaron Spikes is No. 20 and I believe he is, he was our best RB last year. He was very effective catching the ball out of the backfield and in fact had several TD catches. I remember one basically won the game at UNT and he scored on a TD pass against Ole Miss. He just needs to get on the same page as the new staff and that will allow him to continue to contribute.

Spikes AKA #20 was our best running back last year and I'd venture to assume that will be the same this year unless one of these freak freshmen take control.

#21 AKA Lance Kelley was playing safety at the beginning of spring and for the past 2 years. He's going to be a small LB and quite frankly, I don't see him playing as much as several of the other guys like Lewis-Buchanon, Hebert, Johnson, Comminie etc...

Our safeties are going to be fine. Once Gibson gets back, he and Stokes are going to be legit and Cooper Gerami will either start for Stokes or provide tremendous depth.

I've loved Gautier for several years and made bold predictions that he'd be starting as of first game last year. However, until we see him running with the #1's which we've just never seemed to see, it will be Masson's team.

I think if our O-line can actually block a defense lineman this year or even provide a whole to run through more than twice a game, then we will have much better stats on ground. Our Oline was terrible at some points of the season, just giving up sack after sack and providing no running room. I aslo think that play that spikes had many TD's with will continue to work, especially with a 2nd back lined up behind qb, because spikes has more breakout and breakaway speed than other backs, and the defense will bite on inside back while spikes just blazes down sideline - R. Walker might be close though.

igeaux.mobi

14. Default Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

I'm not even going to talk about number 20.
    That is like walking around with a banner saying "ASK ME ABOUT #20"

Thanks for observations.

Very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunsHat View Post
    Everyone knew that spikes had a big head coming into this school, he said he would break fenroys records while he was being recruited...we all know that isn't gonna happen now, but as long as he is productive on the field and doesn't get into trouble off the field, I dont care what he says or does.

igeaux.mobi

Read more about the running backs in Monday's online and print edition of the DA. It's the next installment of my position-by-position breakdown
    igeaux.mobi

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information