Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 UL Spring Football

1. UL Football Intensity increasing at UL spring practice

The UL Ragin' Cajuns held their fourth practice of the spring season on Wednesday afternoon at the practice field, and new coach Mark Hudspeth is noticing more intensity.

With another solid practice, some of the Cajuns are beginning to show more intensity

The rest of the story

2. Default Cajuns One-Third Through Spring

Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns practiced on Friday afternoon, marking the team's fifth spring football practice. UL is now one-third of the way through spring ball.

3. Default Re: Cajuns One-Third Through Spring

1/3 done, what is that like 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter?

The game has just begun, get out of the parking lot, you're missing al the action.

igeaux.mobi

Default Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Weather: absolutely gorgeous.

Crowd: nice. Well in excess of 200 with 175 solid throughout.

Coaches: Very spirited. No doubt who is in control. One does not want coach to tell him to take a knee. Taking a knee consists of hauling a shot put sized weight around the football field. Wearing a yellow jersey doesn't look like too much fun either. I don't know who is keeping tabs on that kind of stuff, but they are doing their job.

Practice pace: nice flow. There was a lot of movement from one drill to another. switching from offensive & defensive situations to special teams & back to situational football.

Players: Please don't be offended if you have a friend, son of a friend, or son on the team & I failed to mention them. From my very limited view point on the sideline I did manage to see some standout players today.

1) QB: Number 17 is by far the best QB. He has the speed & confidence to play QB at the highest level & when he was on the field it was an electric feeling in the crowd. He did everything well & was the best athelete & fastest player on the field. This guy definitely deserves playing time & for my money will be the starter this year & possibly conference player of the year.

Number 7 was ok. He threw the ball pretty well & looked good at times.

Number 2 was more unsure of himself & the offense. He has talent & may develop, but this job belongs to 17. Can you say Brian Mitchell or better?

2) Offensive line: Number 72 is potential all conference & future NFL player. He has the size, speed, & lateral movement & attitude to play at the next level. He does need to focus & remember that there are people watching him on every play & therefore there are no plays off.

Number 71 is a solid center & could be an all conference or honorable mention player. Overall, the offensive line looked pretty good & should be a strong suit of this team.

3) Recievers: number 83 looks to be the best reciever we have. Tight end is a solid position & the guys we have all seem to be solid run blockers & good pass catching TEs.

4) RBs: Number 6 is our best RB. There isn't much depth there & I'm not even going to talk about number 20.

5) Defensive Line: This was just as I suspected. We have no interior DL. I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, but straight up, Justin Hamilton better be able to step up & play day one, because we have as many 3 technique DLs as we do true centers on the basketball team.

Number 93 looked pretty good at times playing 5 technique & could be a pretty solid D end. Number 44 has some potenetial to be an all conference or honorable mention, but must not overcommit to ball fakes.

6) Number 21 is just a good overachieving ML. he is a little small & with no interior lineman to keep him clean, he will have his hands full & health will become an issue for him, but he has good range & tackling skills & never takes a play off.

7) Corner & safety: No comment on safeties except to say that our perimeter defense was the best part of the defense I saw on the field today.

Number 5 is one hell of a football player. He is cocky, arrogant, funny, & oh BTW, he can play. No doubt, he has the stuff to be all conference & a possible future NFL player & he doesn't mind letting you know it either. I really like this guy.

No comment on punting, but the back up kicker looked very good.

Now these are just observations from an average joe with a bad sideline view from one practice, so please post any other observations, but don't hate on the messenger too badly.

Default Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

are you implying RB #20 was not playing well?

Agreed...

Rob Walker (better known as Mamou by his teammates) did have a great practice today. He ran hard for all three teams and showed skill. Yobes also had a pretty good practice. You're right we don't have a lot of dept at running back so hopefully those freshmen coming in will be able to step up.

No single receiver has really stepped up but I notice they aren't dropping passes. I like that. LaDarius had a really nice one handed catch early in practice and really pumped coach Hud up. I'm really looking forward to seeing Boris Anyama (#84) when he gets healthy. He is a big, athletic guys who will go up and get the ball like LaDarius.

Gautier looked really good today also. I would like to see him get some time against the first D. He didn't practice the last part of the scrimmage and was on the sideline icing his shoulder. Does anyone know what happened or how severe??

Broadway looks a little confused but I guess that can be expected. He showed great athleticism and threw some good balls at times. Unless our QB's get the injury bug he will be red-shirted but he IS the future of this team.

#5 Dwight Bill Bentley will hopefully be our shut down corner. You're right he has "it." Masson wouldn't even throw to his side during scrimmages so we didn't really get to see him. He's also not scared to tackle. I like him. A LOT!

Great intensity from the coaches and players! First offense took a few drives to get on the same page but ended very well. Second offense moved the ball very well while Gautier was in there. It's a process and they have some work to do but they are working REALLY hard and have a lot of heart. The fuse is being lit!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunsHat View Post
    _ are you implying RB #20 was not playing well? _
    Is that what you said? I don't know what was going on with a certain ongoing meltdown, but....

I have a Question Re: Sunday's scrimage: My personal observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    _ Is that what you said? I don't know what was going on with a certain ongoing meltdown, but.... _
    I'm lost. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    _ I'm lost. What happened? _
    No big deal.... I guess. Just some emotions getting out of control. It could just be competetive fires burning at least that's what one would hope.

Why don't you just say what happened? Did some players get into a fight...or did coaches get after it?

igeaux.mobi

_ No big deal.... I guess. Just some emotions getting out of control. It could just be competetive fires burning at least that's what one would hope. _
    Kyle, how long did you stay?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ Kyle, how long did you stay? _
    The first team had finished their last goal line offens & defense. it was pretty close to the end I think.

Quote Originally Posted by KACajun View Post
    _ Why don't you just say what happened? Did some players get into a fight...or did coaches get after it?

igeaux.mobi _
    Would rather talk about Gauthier (17) & Bently (5).

Would rather talk about Gauthier (17) & Bently (5).
    Agreed... But why the carrot?

igeaux.mobi

I have no idea what is going on...bandwagon aka"Kyle" isn't making much sense. Did something happen with spikes?? It's like pulling teeth with this guy...just say it already!

igeaux.mobi

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information