Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boustany Announces NSF Grant of $549K for UL

Default Boustany Announces NSF Grant of $549K for UL

Default Re: Boustany Announces NSF Grant of $549K for UL

What happen, did we write some bad checks? LOL!

3. Default UL receives $548,880 NSF Grant to help minority college students

The National Science Foundation has awarded The University of Louisiana more than a half million dollars to help minority college students better prepare for graduate studies in mathematics and related fields, including science, engineering and technology.

Nationally, fewer minority students are completing doctorate degrees in these areas of study. The same holds true at The University of Louisiana, said Dr. Nabendu Pal, a professor of mathematics.

“ We’ve created a mentoring program to help reverse that trend,” Pal said.

He and his colleagues, Dr. Aghalaya Vatsala, a professor of mathematics, and Drs. Patricia Beaulieu and Christina Eubanks-Turner, assistant professors of mathematics, developed the program, "Smooth Transition for Advancement to Graduate Education (STAGE) for Underrepresented Minorities in Mathematical Sciences: A Pilot Project.” The NSF awarded $548,880 for the three-year project.

Starting this summer, 15 students will attend the eight-week program at The University of Louisiana, which will be presented by the faculty members.

Four The University of Louisiana graduate students will assist the faculty, supervising study sessions and helping STAGE students with research questions.

The program has three components: intense courses in selected areas, guided research and professional development, including paper writing, seminar presentations and classroom teaching.

To qualify, an applicant must be a member of a minority group that is underrepresented among professionals in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Those groups include African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, Alaskan natives and native Pacific Islanders. The applicant must be a junior or senior majoring in one of those academic areas with a minimum GPA of 2.75.

“ We’ll also look at what courses they’ve taken, to be sure they’re a good fit for the program,” Pal explained.

Eubanks-Turner, who earned her bachelor’s degree at Xavier University of Louisiana, said students from smaller schools may feel intimidated on a larger campus like The University of Louisiana’s. “We want to give them a taste of what graduate school may be like - that it’s intense, but not overwhelming. We’ll show them how to start doing research, so they can be successful.

The program is open to qualified students from across the country; however, The University of Louisiana is recruiting students from Louisiana’s historically black colleges and universities. Students from Southern University and A&M College – Baton Rouge; Southern University – New Orleans; Grambling University; Dillard University; and Xavier University of Louisiana are invited to participate.

Pal said once the project is complete, The University of Louisiana researchers will continue to track the participants. “We want to know if they go on to earn Ph.Ds, become researchers or teachers, or if they go into the workforce in related fields.”

UL Press

Default Re: UL receives $548,880 NSF Grant to help minority college students

What a bunch of BS.

What else should I have to fund with my tax dollars?

5. Default Re: UL receives $548,880 NSF Grant to help minority college students

BS

Not to be insensitive but what about the poor white kids getting some help every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    _ _
    Actually, that was originally from Boustany's office:
    https://forumeus.com/sh.d.php?t=68754

7. Default Re: UL receives $548,880 NSF Grant to help minority college students

OK, then how about a little love for all kids???????

8. Default Re: UL receives $548,880 NSF Grant to help minority college students

Quote Originally Posted by CalcasieuCajun View Post
    _ OK, then how about a little love for all kids??????? _
    I am always making the point that Fed money has helped UL so much in comparison to the State amounts----Now I could be very wrong , but when I see the Park across from athletics which I think was all Fed money and I know many other projects----Mais tank you unkie Sam----I guess if somebody is going to get it--why not us???? I agree however that it stinks!!!!!

9. Default Re: Boustany Announces NSF Grant of $549K for UL

This is not tuition money that "all" will enjoy, this is even more tuition money for "one" group!

Just not fair to all, many need help from all walks of life!

_ This is not tuition money that "all" will enjoy, this is even more tuition money for "one" group!

Just not fair to all, many need help from all walks of life! _
    Nothing about this is just "one" group. By definition minority involves every group that is not in the majority. I understand that poor kids should get breaks from all classes and races. But there are many programs and scholarships aimed at the financially less advantaged regardless of race.

Historically, minority communities have been in low performing or underfunded schools, so I have no problem with giving money to people from this group who are achieving above expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    _ What a bunch of BS.

What else should I have to fund with my tax dollars? _
    IMHO, taxes are an investment. It's not how much it costs, but what is the ROI.

To my mind after protection (police, fire, military) and transportation, education is the best investment we can make.

'Course here in Louisiana we have a long list of higher priorities.

12. Default Re: Boustany Announces NSF Grant of $549K for UL

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    there are many programs and scholarships aimed at the financially less advantaged regardless of race.
    OK, where?

I have a son at UL that takes everything we have and make to keep him there! I'm told that we're just above the minimum income range for help????? Maybe we should divorce?, or quit our jobs? o well nobody is listening anyway!

_ OK, where?

I have a son at UL that takes everything we have and make to keep him there! I'm told that we're just above the minimum income range for help????? Maybe we should divorce?, or quit our jobs? o well nobody is listening anyway! _
    I'm not sure if he is in Grad school or undergrad, but TOPS is race blind.

But also, you are sighting a different problem. Your original complaint was about poor kids from all races, your problem, if it can be considered a problem is not being poor enough.

14. Default Re: Boustany Announces NSF Grant of $549K for UL

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ I'm not sure if he is in Grad school or undergrad, but TOPS is race blind.

But also, you are sighting a different problem. Your original complaint was about poor kids from all races, your problem, if it can be considered a problem is not being poor enough. _
    Yes, we consider it to be a problem! Yes, just like "every" other student we get some TOPS money!

I’m sorry for complaining, let me get back to my job making sure my taxes get paid on time. I get your point, we should be thankful for being in the majority because the benefits are just overwhelming!

Have a blessed day!

15. Default Re: Boustany Announces NSF Grant of $549K for UL

Cajuns ARE a minority.
    igeaux.mobi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information