Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rugby?

Default Rugby?

I heard a rumor this morning that UL has a rugby team? Is this true? Can someone give me the scoop on this rugby team? How have I not read about this before? When do they play? Etc. Thanks.

Default Re: I heard a rumor this morning

We have a really good rugby team. I know they won a club national championship or something like that last season.

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    _ We have a really good rugby team. I know they won a club national championship or something like that last season. _
    I NEED more.

It's not a rumor. It's a club sport. Don't know the details of when they play, but games are in the field on side of sorority houses
    igeaux.mobi

Well for those that wanted us in a better conference I suggest you go visit the Rugby website. Your wish has been granted. I would have thought this would have been bigger news. Wonder when all the other sports will start their new conference schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    Thanks, but does anyone know when they play again? Will they have another homw game? How long does the season last? This is the ultimate sport. Would love to see these guys play.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    _ that UL has a rugby team? Is this true? Can someone give me the scoop on this rugby team? How have I not read about this before? When do they play? Etc. Thanks. _
    The squad just completed their Spring season. I don't think they will have any more games until the fall.

The Club first started in 2002-03. Prior to that, there was a Men's team in town that was composed mostly of students and a few other oilfield guys who would play when they weren't working. Because most were students, the Club was started at UL, which meant funding. The first season, the Club came in 2nd in the region (no national champion at that level). Since then, the stability has greatly increased and they've been more and more successful each year. Last year, they made it to the National Final Four for their level. Because of that, I believe they were awarded the opportunity to move up to, and compete in a higher division this season.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    _ The squad just completed their Spring season. I don't think they will have any more games until the fall.

The Club first started in 2002-03. Prior to that, there was a Men's team in town that was composed mostly of students and a few other oilfield guys who would play when they weren't working. Because most were students, the Club was started at UL, which meant funding. The first season, the Club came in 2nd in the region (no national champion at that level). Since then, the stability has greatly increased and they've been more and more successful each year. Last year, they made it to the National Final Four for their level. Because of that, I believe they were awarded the opportunity to move up to, and compete in a higher division this season. _
    Can anyone tell me how long the season is & when it starts?

I played rugby in 02 for like 1 week. Some dude named "Chris-E" cajoled me. Then someone nearly separated my shoulder in a drill and I got my shirt ripped off.

I'm not tough enough for rugby.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    _ Can anyone tell me how long the season is & when it starts? _
    They'll play maybe 5-7 games in the Fall. The first game will probably take place within the first few weeks of the semester. They'll play another hand full of games in the Spring and most of those should determine whether or not they'll compete in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    _ I played rugby in 02 for like 1 week. Some dude named "Chris-E" cajoled me. Then someone nearly separated my shoulder in a drill and I got my shirt ripped off.

I'm not tough enough for rugby. _
    Awesome! Sorry to those against controlled nefarious violence, but this is something I will be bugging the board about from now on. What a sport. This is truly the one European tradition that America could use more of.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    _ I played rugby in 02 for like 1 week. Some dude named "Chris-E" cajoled me. Then someone nearly separated my shoulder in a drill and I got my shirt ripped off.

I'm not tough enough for rugby. _

I laughed hysterically for about a minute when I read this. Pretty funny and I needed that little jolt after today.

We can't commit to contact sports like this one. Too dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDawgPound View Post
    _ We can't commit to contact sports like this one. Too dangerous _
    I'm more inclined to believe the sport is victim to a conspiracy by the malls of America. The powers that be know if Rugby ever got a foothold in the US like they've been trying to push soccer for the last 30 years, that it would be all over for them. I mean how hard is it to get up on Saturday or Sunday afternoon & leave a soccer match to go shopping with the wife or girlfriend? I mean one could just as easily watch "Sleepless in Seattle" as the London Hooligans Vs. the Barcelona Bulls in soccer. Give rugby the same exposure for two years on TV & see if there aren't teams popping up all over the place. Rant out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information