Thread: ESPN Bracketology (baseball)

Default ESPN Bracketology (baseball)

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/blog/_/name/.y-bracketology

FWIW, ESPN projects us as the 2 seed in the Austin Regional.

2 seed sounds beautiful. now let's get it done!

Default Re: ESPN Bracketology (baseball)

This year don't go on vacation during a regional.

is there even a chance of us hosting a regional this year?

I moved my Fenway trip back to July this year. thought about going up to see the Brewers in June. Luc in Fenway, but its during the CWS.

CajunFan,

There's always a chance but we'd definitely have to be top 10 RPI, IMO.

If we're border line, say in the 11-17 range, we would probably get shafted because of facilities.

What was our RPI in 2000?

Quote Originally Posted by seehard View Post
    _ I moved my Fenway trip back to July this year. thought about going up to see the Brewers in June. Luc in Fenway, but its during the CWS.

CajunFan,

There's always a chance but we'd definitely have to be top 10 RPI, IMO.

If we're border line, say in the 11-17 range, we would probably get shafted because of facilities.

What was our RPI in 2000? _
    Boyd's World had us in the mid 20's in 2000 at the time of the regional announcements.

Now the philosphy of the selection committee is that if you are worthy of hosting (i.e., high RPI, strong SOS, etc.), you will host. So if we somehow get into the top 20 of the RPI, it'll be close to hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan89 View Post
    _ is there even a chance of us hosting a regional this year? _
    Maybe, the big detriment is still our facilities, primarily the Press box and the clubhouse. Our field is in regional shape. I'd hope that the athletic department has a plan to allow us to host if need be, but as of right now I don't think our facilities are up to the task unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by TuffGuy84 View Post
    _ Maybe, the big detriment is still our facilities, primarily the Press box and the clubhouse. Our field is in regional shape. I'd hope that the athletic department has a plan to allow us to host if need be, but as of right now I don't think our facilities are up to the task unfortunately. _
    Considering we've put in a bid in just about every year, I'd say that they had a plan in place in the event we'd host.

Maybe, the big detriment is still our facilities, primarily the Press box and the clubhouse.
    This rumor continues year after year. The NCAA has minimum requirements but after that it really does not matter much. We can do what we have to in order to meet the facility standards.

More important than facilities.

First - You have to be deserving. Sixteen regionals means you need to be somewhere towards the top of the field of 64. Yes RPI counts but it isn't the only thing.

Second - There must be a geographical need. They aren't giving you a regional only to fly three teams in from the West Coast or NorthEast. And if someone like LSU or Tulane is ranked ahead of us that hurts our chances as well.

Third - A competitive bid. It isn't all about the money but you have to offer up something decent.

Softball -

Host for softball could prove to be interesting this year. Assuming UL & LSU end the year towards the top I think UL could get the nod over LSU for a host even if they are ranked ahead of us. Why? We have gone to their place two years in a row and cleaned their clock. We have a new facility to showcase. Scott Farmer is heading the committee. Not that Scott is going to hold direct influence but you can beat the committee members would probably lean toward a host for the committee chair. With the right situation I can actually see both teams hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    _ Considering we've put in a bid in just about every year, I'd say that they had a plan in place in the event we'd host. _
    We can put in bids every year, but our pressbox and our clubhouse will give us a disadvantage if we are a fringe #1 seed. I'll say this, if we end up being the #15 or #16 seed, there is a chance that we would be a traveling #1 seed, not because of our fans, but because of the problems I stated. remember the 2007 season, all the talk was if we beat UNO in the conference title game, we would be a fringe #1 seed and the fear was we wouldn't host because of those same problems, and since then, the only problem that has been addressed is the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    _ This rumor continues year after year. The NCAA has minimum requirements but after that it really does not matter much. We can do what we have to in order to meet the facility standards.

More important than facilities.

First - You have to be deserving. Sixteen regionals means you need to be somewhere towards the top of the field of 64. Yes RPI counts but it isn't the only thing.

Second - There must be a geographical need. They aren't giving you a regional only to fly three teams in from the West Coast or NorthEast. And if someone like LSU or Tulane is ranked ahead of us that hurts our chances as well.

Third - A competitive bid. It isn't all about the money but you have to offer up something decent.

Softball -

Host for softball could prove to be interesting this year. Assuming UL & LSU end the year towards the top I think UL could get the nod over LSU for a host even if they are ranked ahead of us. Why? We have gone to their place two years in a row and cleaned their clock. We have a new facility to showcase. Scott Farmer is heading the committee. Not that Scott is going to hold direct influence but you can beat the committee members would probably lean toward a host for the committee chair. With the right situation I can actually see both teams hosting. _
    I was taking the idea of hosting as assuming that we would be ranked high enough to deserve one of the top 16 seeds. I mean, that is obvious, I'd say we need to win the Conference, and maybe/probably win the tourney too in my opinion. I'm also aware of the geographical need and the bid. I know we always put in really good bid which isn't the problem, the geographical problem does come in to play primarily because we have so many top tier teams in this region between us, LSU, Tulane, and Rice, all of which have very nice facilities.

We can put in bids every year, but our pressbox and our clubhouse will give us a disadvantage if we are a fringe #1 seed. I'll say this, if we end up being the #15 or #16 seed, there is a chance that we would be a traveling #1 seed, not because of our fans, but because of the problems I stated. remember the 2007 season, all the talk was if we beat UNO in the conference title game, we would be a fringe #1 seed and the fear was we wouldn't host because of those same problems, and since then, the only problem that has been addressed is the field.
    I was at Olsen field at A&M when they built temporary press box facilities out of plywood. It can be overcome.

By the way the Blue Bell Ice Cream guys are giving a cool 7 mil to upgrade Olsen field so after this year it probably won't be a problem for them.

the geographical problem does come in to play primarily because we have so many top tier teams in this region between us, LSU, Tulane, and Rice, all of which have very nice facilities.
    If you run with the assumption that LSU does their usual then for us to host means not only are we up in the top sixteen with them but there is a need for a second host in the area.

For that to happen teams like Tulane, McNeese, Houston, Southern Miss., Northwestern State, and a neighboring SEC team or two need to be tournament qualifiers but not in the hunt to be a host.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    _ If you run with the assumption that LSU does their usual then for us to host means not only are we up in the top sixteen with them but there is a need for a second host in the area.

For that to happen teams like Tulane, McNeese, Houston, Southern Miss., Northwestern State, and a neighboring SEC team or two need to be tournament qualifiers but not in the hunt to be a host. _
    I absolutely agree with that, and that is one of the reasons why I'm worried about us getting a host site. I could absolutely see us getting a #1 seed and being sent somewhere else (especially with the problems I mentioned) if there are not enough regional teams to fill 2 local regionals. Important thing is to do the first thing first, and that's win, and win a lot.

Southern Miss anounced another round of upgrades to the "Pete", adding 1,358 more seats. They expanded and renovated in 2006-2007.

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/.e-taylor-park/

Thread Information