Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gerald Broussard

1. UL Football Gerald Broussard

1989: Brian Mitchell welcomes Gerald Broussard coached offensive line

LOUISIANA La. -- If Brian Mitchell liked the 1988 football season, he should love the 1989 rendition with an experienced offensive line set to protect the veteran senior University of Southwestern Louisiana quarterback.

Several things have changed in one short year about the USL football team and the most notable from Mitchell's standpoint is that his offensive line has experience and playing time, a situation that is in direct contrast to the 1988 team.

"Nobody's feeling sorry for them this year," said USL offensive line coach Gerald Broussard, himself a former offensive tackle star for the Cajuns. "It's not like last year, when everybody knew they were young and needed to get better. They're expected to produce this year."

Broussard had started the 1988 season minus the top eight linemen who had graced his schemes and plans during the 1986 and 1987 seasons and Broussard had no place to turn. The Cajuns went to the Ilinois junior college ranks and pulled in guard Keith Zimmerman. And after fall practice started, defensive tackle LaQuinc Phillips was moved to offense to plug a hole and that was the experience that Broussard worked with throughout the campaign. He added Zimmerman and Phillips to a group of freshmen and sophomores and tried to pull the rabbit out of the hat each week. Some Saturdays it worked, others it did not.

Broussard may have done the best coaching job on the USL staff last year because his troops allowed the team to pull off a third straight 6-5 showing -- and it was not easy. When the offensive line was bad, it was very, very bad and when it was good, it played brilliantly at times.

Operating behind the makeshift line, Mitchell looked good enough to be named the collegiate "Outstanding Offensive Player" nudging past such stars as LSU's Tommy Hodson and Tulane's Terence Jones, both highly-rated quarterbacks.

Mitchell, running the Cajuns run-and-shoot offense to near perfection at times, gained 743 yards rushing on 180 carries and completed 129 of 273 passes for 1,807 yards and 8 touchdowns. Mitchell had a marvelous year with 2,550 yards total offense, an amount that should suggest he was not operating behind the inexperienced line he was.

"He's the best one (quarterback) I've ever been around," says Cajun offensive coordination Barry Wilson. "He's one of the few players I've ever coached that can control a game almost by himself. People have to concentrate all their efforts on stopping him, and that opens up a lot of things for us."

Broussard admits that his group was led down the primrose path last year. "They continued to get better all year long last year," Broussard noted. USL jumped out to 4-0 and 6-2 records but was overwhelmed by Alabama, Memphis State and Arkansas State down the stretch in the final three games.

"We played against some really good competition at the end of the season last year and I think we'll fare a lot better against quality competition this year, if for no other reason than we're older and more mature. They got their brains beat in some last year, and we've got a lot of punishment to deal out ourselves this year," Broussard said.

Louisiana Tech had one of the defensive lines that handled the Cajun offensive front last year, leading the Bulldogs to a 19-16 upset win over USL after the Cauns had four straight wins to start the season.

USL will entertain Louisiana Tech in a 7 p.m. contest Saturday night at Cajun Field.

Broussard is pleased that he has experienced depth to work with this season. He didn't lose a single player from last fall's aggregation and gained several who could add to the the depth of the line.

"We've never been two-deep (on the depth chart) before, even going back to when I was playing (early 1980's), Broussard said.

"That means there is a lot of competition for playing time. They all know that, and that has kept them working hard."

The depth chart going into the Louisiana Tech game has Chip Morgan (6-2, 250) and Troy Wingerter (6-3, 271) at center, Joe Harris (6-3, 276) and Louis Age (6-6, 324) at left tackle, Roderick Tripp (6-1, 258) and Jay Casey (6-0, 244) at left guard, Zimmerman (6-1, 263) and Adam Johnson (6-4, 294) at right guard, and Paul Norton (6-3, 275) and Jeff Kennun ( 6-3, 276) at right tackle.

Only Zimmerman is a senior.

Mitchell, no doubt, will be glad to look up in the huddle when the Tech game (and season) starts and see some familiar faces. He needs 519 yards in completed passes to become the fourth quarterback in NCAA history to to gain 2,000 yards rushing and 4,000 yards passing.

The Plaquemine star needs 476 yards rushing and and 519 yards passing to become the only NCAA player to reach the 2,500 rushing and 4,000 passing plateau.

There seems to be little doubt that Mitchell will get to know his offensive linemen quite well this season. In the pro ranks the quarterbacks with top-flight offensive lines buy the steaks each week. Mitchell may have to hit on hamburgers or the pizza man every now and then.

Link unavailable
    The Advocate
    Author: J.C. HATCHER
    ACADIANA BUREAU
    August 30, 1989

2. UL Football Gerald Broussard

NACOGDOCHES, Texas-- Stephen F. Austin Lumberjack head football coach Robert McFarland announced today the addition of four assistant football coaches to his staff. The four newcomers will join J.C. Harper and Robert Walker to complete McFarland's staff for 2005.

Gerald Broussard comes to SFA after spending the past four seasons as the offensive line coach at McNeese State. Broussard, a 1984 graduate of the University of Louisiana, also served as the recruiting coordinator at McNeese State the past four years. Broussard coached All-Americans at McNeese in two of the last four years. He has also made coaching stops at Tennessee-Martin, Scottsdale Community College and UL-Lafayette.

During his playing career at UL, Broussard was a three year starter and was named to the First Team All-25 Year Team at Louisiana. Broussard will coach offensive line for the Lumberjacks.

The rest of the story

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: After LA: Gerald Broussard

Today I breathe a sigh of relief as I see that Gerald Broussard has left the McNeese State University Football Coaching Staff. This is old news but as I live in San Diego I was unaware of this.

It was a sad day when Gerald was treated as shabbily as he was by The University of Lafayette and not given an opportunity to continue his career as a coach here.

It was even sadder when he took a job at McNeese, but now that is over. Gerald has become a Lumberjack at Stephen F Austin University and I am sure he will do well.

The only place that Gerald could have gone worse than McNeese would have been LSUA&M@BR. A wrong has been partially righted.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: After LA: Gerald Broussard

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy
    Today I breathe a sigh of relief as I see that Gerald Broussard has left the McNeese State University Football Coaching Staff. This is old news but as I live in San Diego I was unaware of this.

It was a sad day when Gerald was treated as shabbily as he was by The University of Lafayette and not given an opportunity to continue his career as a coach here.

It was even sadder when he took a job at McNeese, but now that is over. Gerald has become a Lumberjack at Stephen F Austin University and I am sure he will do well.

The only place that Gerald could have gone worse than McNeese would have been LSUA&M@BR. A wrong has been partially righted.
    Snuffy, did you know Coach McFarland? He was here as a GA when G was here.He's the head dude at SFA
    They were a bunch of characters back then, specially when they had Coach Roll in the mix

Z.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default The Dude returns home

The Dude returns home

G-man

http://louisiana.scout.com/2/730365.html

Default Re: The Dude returns home

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    I was in class tonight and they have a couple footballers in the class.they were talking about Quinn leaving. I didn't really want to say anything on the board till it was made public but I got home and the article is up on scout.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    I was in class tonight and they have a couple footballers in the class.they were talking about Quinn leaving. I didn't really want to say anything on the board till it was made public but I got home and the article is up on scout.
    It won't be this year, maybe not even next, but the days of coaches leaving us for other mid-major jobs is nearing an end. Walker and Farmer have it going on. That being said, G is a dynamite guy, and a good coach! He will do well here.

Z

Default he's here (two words)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ It won't be this year, maybe not even next, but the days of coaches leaving us for other mid-major jobs is nearing an end. Walker and Farmer have it going on. That being said, G is a dynamite guy, and a good coach! He will do well here.

Z _
    I'm very hopeful things will come together more sooner than later.

I think Gerald has a good resume but all of it is on the offensive side of the ball.i wonder how he will adjust to defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    I'm very hopeful things will come together more sooner than later.

I think Gerald has a good resume but all of it is on the offensive side of the ball.i wonder how he will adjust to defense.
    quickly.

Z

Zee I trust you :-)

I am so lost.

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    I am so lost.
    www.louisiana.scout.com

you will find yourself here. Its a free article, I believe.

Z

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Gerald Broussard is Back (where he has been)

So is Gerald Broussard coaching at SFA or is he coming to UL?

UL Football Re: Gerald Broussard is Back (where he has been)

Quote Originally Posted by Etowncajun View Post
    _ So is Gerald Broussard coaching at SFA or is he coming to UL? _
    Quinn left, and Broussard is coming home. The football gods have smiled on UL today. He is a super recruiter, and is a very intense coach who will get the best out of the defensive line. A great day for UL.

Good luck Coach Quinn, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Welcome back Coach Broussard.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information