Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Lights Out in Blackham

Quote Originally Posted by donallen View Post
    "It has happened with several other scandals in history. What makes you think this is any different? People's careers are no longer in jeopardy. This country has come a long way with civil rights, etc. People have remorse. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of new information was revealed."

Your sense of drama is impressive but this was no scandal. As the movie once said, when the legend becomes fact, print the legend. This story's been legend for some time.
    Yeah, ok. A school gets the death penalty for something that goes on in every school with a competitive athletic department and there's no scandal.

Default Re: Lights out in Blackham?

"Yeah, ok. A school gets the death penalty for something that goes on in every school with a competitive athletic department and there's no scandal."

Lot of assumptions there, my man. They got the Death Penalty because some of the things that happened were so egregious, the NCAA - and no one ever claimed these guys were fair and balanced - really had no choice. Hate to say that, but true. The lambs may have been sacrificed to send a message, but those lambs weren't innocent.

If we weren't so good, we wouldn't be talking about it today. Jealousy, did us in and exposed our sins. Could have happened to many others.

douglas's Avatar douglas is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

3 southland conference schools were under the ncaa microscope in 1973:usl, la tech and mcneese. i have the infractions reports of all three, if i take the names off the top they are all very similar. Where one school has a lesser violation a, the other has a more egregious violation b. What sets USL apart were two things: Shipley's public bravado and this was strike two. anyone wanna tell me what strike one was? However people feel about the death penalty and the campus wide four year probation it was actually the lesser of two outcomes for USL. I don't think anyone says they were innocent even in the first case and i make no apologies for the most severe penalties in the 2nd case, but the outcome is more than a "did they or didn't they."

I look forward to watching the documentary. I enjoyed part of Ron Gomez's book as well but the legal aspects of it were a little much for me. What I would like to see happen one day is someone to do a piece which focused on what actually happened on the court in those days. The show those guys put on in the 70's was tremendous entertainment. I know that may be difficult due to lack of film and aging documents from media such as newspapers. If people today realized the buzz those guys provided to the community, their would be a greater appreciation for the tradition us old timers cherish.

"If we weren't so good, we wouldn't be talking about it today. Jealousy, did us in and exposed our sins. Could have happened to many others."

This is an argument I cannot win and a trading of thoughts I never should have initiated. I presume those commenting with such conviction were also there at the time and know from which you speak? Yes? No? Print the legend.

Default Re: Lights out at Blackham?

It will be interested in who plays the part of the USL recruiter who filled hotel bath tubs with ice, beer and soft drinks before the game, and then invite recruits, girlfriends, and cheerleaders to his hotel room for a post game party.

A lot of crazy stuff happened back then, but with all the effort Douglas has put into this project, I am anxious like others to see the story he is able to weave with all his research and the interviews.

However, like Don Allen said, a lot happened 40-50 years ago with many of the links to the past having long left us, and those remaining maybe unlikely to reveal all they know - a very good point.

Regards to Douglas on pursuing the ESPN monetary prize for his movie.

Default Lights out in Blackham

Any current news on the documentary? Have not heard anything in a while.

douglas's Avatar douglas is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Lights out in Blackham

last few days i have been in the process of digitizing the entire career of andrew toney looking for "we're back " highlights. If anyone knows of any must see games shout em out. ill post something when i hit a downtime point for the night...see workin on it as we speak.

while i am here i do have a request. i am in need of a location we can use for the ncaa hearings, something with a court room/city hall vibe. they weren't held in court houses, but that visual will convey the most. anyone have any connections? ill keep this open and refresh from time to time

What is the estimated time until release?

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    last few days i have been in the process of digitizing the entire career of andrew toney looking for "we're back " highlights. If anyone knows of any must see games shout em out. ill post something when i hit a downtime point for the night...see workin on it as we speak.
    Andrew Toney era memorable games include all games against McNeese and Lamar in his junior and senior years. Senior year victory against Lamar was especially sweet since we were on a losing streak due to Toney being injured. Lamar was his first game back and the team righted the ship to earn an NIT bid. Victory over UAB in first round of NIT on a Dion Rainey corner buzzer beater is one of the great victories in Cajun basketball history. There was also a victory over Creighton in Andrew's junior year. Finally, a 46 point outburst against Auburn at Blackham in his senior year was memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    while i am here i do have a request. i am in need of a location we can use for the ncaa hearings, something with a court room/city hall vibe. they weren't held in court houses, but that visual will convey the most. anyone have any connections? ill keep this open and refresh from time to time
    Ask any of the surrounding parishes to use their school board meeting area. You have a panel type feel and it is not quite a courthouse. Try St. Landy or St. Martin.

14. Default Re: Lights out in Blackham

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    Ask any of the surrounding parishes to use their school board meeting area. You have a panel type feel and it is not quite a courthouse. Try St. Landy or St. Martin.
    -----You guys can use our State Farm conference room in Abbeville --what kind of dimensions do you need?? Doug you can ask Cosper Blanco or Wright what it did look like!!!

Quality is damn good too!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information