Thread: Cajuns await stiff challenge from Salukis

1. UL Basketball Cajuns await stiff challenge from Salukis

LOUISIANA La. - It will take some time for Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns coach Robert Lee to realize any benefits from a rugged pre-Sun Belt Conference schedule that concludes with today's 7:05 p.m. home game against 11-2 Southern Illinois.

The Cajuns are 5-6 on the year after a demoralizing 71-44 defeat on Sunday at Vanderbilt, and Lee isn't sure his squad has gotten much out of games against teams like Kansas and N.C. State.

"I don't know how much it's done for us," Lee said. "If we get into conference play, get into different situations and react well and win on the road, then I might see some plusses.

"But at this moment, right now, it hasn't done too much for us, except for the financial standpoint."

Lee knew the slate was demanding for his first year running the program, but he figured to have senior point guard Orien Greene on hand to lead the way.

Greene broke his leg in the 96-51 loss at Kansas on Dec. 11 and hasn't played since, although he has returned to limited practice and could be available for either or both of next weekend's road games at South Alabama and New Orleans.

He remains sidelined for tonight's game and Saturday's Sun Belt season opener in the Cajundome against Denver.

"The toughest thing has probably been the injury to Orien," Lee said. "He missed some preseason work with his foot, and then hurt his leg at Kansas. I felt all along he was the one guy we couldn't lose."

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

2. Default ULL looks for offensive production

LOUISIANA La. -- Maybe the Cajundome rims will be more friendly to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette basketball team.
    After shooting 29 percent Sunday at Vanderbilt, ULL is looking for better offensive production at 7:05 p.m. today against Southern Illinois.

SIU (11-2) is unranked this week in the Associated Press poll, but the Salukis did receive seven votes in the USA Today-ESPN men's Top 25 coaches poll.

The Cajuns (5-6) meanwhile are searching for their shooting touch which eluded them in the 71-44 loss at Vanderbilt.

ULL's offensive problems drew criticism from coach Robert Lee, who also saw his team commit 19 turnovers.

"Basketball is a very simple game. To win you put the ball in the basket and you don't turn the ball over," Lee said.

"Our seniors are going to have to step up with this team, although I'm aware that shooting has been a question mark with for team all year.

"I saw one of the worst shooting exhibitions I've seen in a long time (against Vanderbilt). We had shots that were wide open and we couldn't make them."

Adding to the Cajuns' problems is the SIU team which beat Vanderbilt (67-53) this season and is 2-0 in the Missouri Valley Conference.

ULL is 3-0 at the Cajundome this season. The Cajuns start Sun Belt Conference play on Saturday against Denver.

Since the 2001-02 season, ULL has won 14 straight non-conference games at the Cajundome.

The rest of the story

By BOBBY ARDOIN
    Special to The Advocate

Thread Information