Cajuns earn marks off court

LOUISIANA La. - This is a different era in Louisiana's Ragin' Cajun basketball, one that will leave its own mark of success on the court.

But, off the court, coach Robert Lee and his staff have already put their stamp on the athletes under their direction with a greater emphasis on their responsibilities in the classroom.

These days, when a Cajun can't suit up for a game, it's because he's injured. It's not because he's behind in school.

"We've really been impressed with coach Lee and his staff, and it's the same with the guys," said Kristi Stake of the Student Athlete Academic Center at UL.

"The attitude toward class is different. They've obviously changed how concerned they are with class. The guys are in my office all the time, asking what they need to do in order to graduate.

"They're working diligently toward that, and that's great to see."

Lee, an honor roll student while playing basketball at Nicholls State, has made it clear where the focus needs to be.

"Coach Lee and his assistants have played a great role," Stake said. "They've shown great interest. They're concerned about the players as people, not just their eligibility.

"Coach Lee knew his priorities, so he's been there, done that. He knows it can be done. He knows it's not impossible, so he can hold them to a higher standard.

"He's telling them, 'You can do it too,' and I think that helps the guys. They know he's not just talking at us."

Assistant coaches Rennie Bailey, Carlin Hartman and Jason Kennemer are also part of the package.

"I've been impressed with the assistant coaches, also," Stake said. "They're truly concerned with how the players are as people. They're going above and beyond."

The results have been dramatic and gratifying.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
bbrown@theadvertiser.com