Thread: Why they call us Lafayette

1. I have a Question It is a Marketing Blunder

Ever wonder why opposing coaches call the University of Louisiana by its location rather than its real name? Well since carolinakgin wonders, I thought I would let everyone know.

Originally posted by carolinakgin on Delphi *
    Sendek was complimentary of the team on his post game show, didn't understand why he kept referring to us as Lafayette
    The letters UL by themselves send no message. UL can have any meaning in the L alphabet. But when it is coupled with another -prominently exposed- spelled out "L" word, it conveys the message that the "L" must stand for the word.

The school adopted logo wrongly sends the message loud and -they think- clear telling opposing coaches and media alike that the "L" must stand for Lafayette.

Sendek's Lafayette conception was probably formed long ago through scheduling correspondence with UL Lafayette.

We are Lafayette
    We are Louisiana

Hey Turbine,

In good time U L and Louisiana will be enough to identify our university. All that other stuff will be extraneous information.

Would be nice if our coaches and radio/TV people when interviewing could nicely and ever so gently use Louisiana and UL right after they use lafayette!!

just a sales thought!

4. Default Trying to make a point here

There was a time when Louisville used the same "interlocking UL"

Does anyone think someone mistook the "L" for Louisiana?

Attached Images Attached Images  

I believe its the ESPN crawler that calls us UL LAF.
    I wish something could be done about that!

I think we should do what the University of Kansas does. They do not use UK because they get confused with University of Kentucky. They use KU or Kansas Jayhawks. So we do not get confused with University of Louisville we should use LU or Louisiana Ragin Cajuns no apostophe s after Louisiana.

"I believe its the ESPN crawler that calls us UL LAF. I wish something could be done about that!"

Since ESPN has been doing that I've noticed several other schools'names have been shortened to something not so attractive.

"UL LAF" sounds like "you will laugh" somehow this opyion needs to be stopped soon.

well, if LSU can try and bully us and the media into calling us UL-Lafayette, even when the originally wanted to call us UL, we can do the same thing, of course we wouldn't bully. I'm sure when ESPN and the other people initially started to refer to us as just UL after the name change, LSU complained about it. So let's complain back. Furthermore, let's remove the Lafayette from everything except official legal documents such as letterhead and diplomas. If LSU tries to b**** at us about it, remind them what they're real name is, and that's that. Then if ULF (University of Louisiana-Funroe) complains, let's tell them that without us pushing for the namechange, they'd still be NLU. And ULM is trying to do the same thing we are, but b****es at us for trying to do it. So besides reminding them that we deserve UL more and will get it, tell them that ULM sounds better than ULL and that's why we're gonna get UL and they're gonna keep ULM. Besides, what rolls of your tongue and sounds better and makes more sense; Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns, or Louisiana's Indians (blechhh!). Anyhoo, the point of all this is to say, eventually it will be ours (UL that is) it's just a matter of time.

God Bless.

p.s.- I hate the UL LAF on the ESPN ticker too.

11. Default

Originally posted by cajun tom
    I think we should do what the University of Kansas does. They do not use UK because they get confused with University of Kentucky. They use KU or Kansas Jayhawks. So we do not get confused with University of Louisville we should use LU or Louisiana Ragin Cajuns no apostophe s after Louisiana.
    MsState8 on Delphi * says its a Big 8 thing. OU, NU, MU, KU, CU

In understand their dyslexia. Think of the alternative. If they didn't flip the letters it breaks down into distinct BIG 12 groups, it might send the wrong message.

First you have the wrong identification group. Oklahoma and Nebraska
    UO You owe
    UN United Nations

Secondly if not flipped you have the phonetic impaired wrong message group. Missouri and Kansas
    UM I can't decide
    UK That is gross

Then there is the group of one who can’t win for flipping UC. Colorado
    CU Goodbye
    UC Are you blind?

I don't know if I like flipping UL, but I do know I don't like how it is mistaken for Underwriter Laboratories

I like LOUISIANA

Turbine we need to get a group together to (in private)come up with a list as to why we are going to be CALLED L O U I S I A N A!!!!!

Any takers,
    DaddyCajun???

Originally posted by DaddyCajun
    Turbine we need to get a group together to (in private)come up with a list as to why we are going to be CALLED L O U I S I A N A!!!!!

Any takers,
    DaddyCajun???
    Because it's the name of the University?

Thread Information