Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2004-05 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball Real Time RPI

UL Basketball RPI Confusion

Will someone tell me what is the Cajuns' RPI? Seems like everywhere I look I come across different numbers.

Why?

Still looks like a 12 or 13 seed though. Nashville???? LSU or ALabama???

2. Default Re: RPI Confusion

Originally posted by CajunKahouna
    Will someone tell me what is the Cajuns' RPI? Seems like everywhere I look I come across different numbers.

Why?
    Because the real formula the NCAA uses is not known.

All the RPI numbers you see now are best effort guestaments, arrived at through reverse calculating historical seedings.

Real Time RPI says
    RPI Rank: 39 SOS Rank: 101

There is new info. out about the new rpi. Most web sites have not been using the correct formula. If you go to kenpom.com, you can read about the recent correction to the formula and look at probley the most accurate rpi. the cajuns are currently at 47. I have been following the rpi closely. I personally think the cajuns deserve a 12, but would not be surprised if they get a 13. A 13 would be the absolute worst. For what ever reason many of the bracketologist just do not give the sunbelt much respect. The belt is ranked 13 out of 31 conferences. They have many teams from lower rated conf.'s and lower rpi's seeded higher. I wish they would tell the fans and coaches the formula and use a strict rpi system and there would be no corruption.

Originally posted by J-Town Cajun
    I wish they would tell the fans and coaches the formula and use a strict rpi system and there would be no corruption.
    That would be like telling ESPN (TV) and the USA Today sportswriters to give us and all Louisiana universities what due in terms of proper recognition!

Dream on, but I am with youwe can always hope.

If we were paired against Lsu.how would we fair? I watched them play at the beginning of the year and I think we don't match up against them wellwas there a variable in that game I missed? what would alter the outcome?

Playing LSU would be great but like you said we don't match up against them very well but in ways they don't match up with us. We are much more athletic than them but their size underneath might be top three in the tourny. Cameron will give a lot of teams that are bigger than us underneath fits though because they won't be able to stay in the paint because of Cameron's abiliy outside.

I personality like our chances against anyone we would play if we are seeded from a 12-14 seed. ESPN.com which was right last year about us playing nc state has us playing Gonzaga which would be about the same as playing LSU because we would be much more athletic but underneath they are very strong.

Sense posted last ESPN has updated that we would end up playing Connecticut but that is surely going to change again by tomorrow.

8. Default

U Conn man well that's a sport fan---UConn Man, He'll take a stand---Is he still on the radio?? That's all we need is to loose to those guys!1

9. Default

The latest that I have seen was on Sportscenter this morning (Sunday) when Joe Linardi, the bracketologist, had us as a #13 against Oklahoma. We shall see.

10. Default

The brackets are out and you know by now we are a 13 seed against Louisville.

Not that anyone ever said they did, although some thought they might. Go strickly by the RPI that is. One thing that is obvious is that's something they do not do. Go strickly by the RPI that is.

RealTimeRPI has UL  at 41 = 11 seed
    CollegeRPI.com has UL at 45 = 12 seed
    Committe must have UL at 52 = 13 seed

According to kenpom.com the cajuns are ranked @ 47th. This poll is probley the most accurate. Here are some teams seeded lower with higher rpi's.

11 seed UAB ranked 49
    12 seed George Washington ranked 54
    12 seed UW-Milwakee ranked 59
    12 seed New Mexico ranked 67

Like someone else noted, until we win a game in the tournament we will not get the seed more closely related to our RPI. Same thing probably happened to Louisville. They felt a 2 or at worst a 3 seed; but ended up with the 4. The problem I see with this mindset is that it makes it more difficult for the teams to "earn" that 1st round win because it puts us against a better team than we could have met as an 11 or 12. But, as Al Davis would say, "Just win baby."

I agree with you shof. I like things more cut and dry. That way no one can argue what seed they have gotten.

Also:
    10 seed N.C. St. ranked 65

This is five teams ranked lower to us in the rpi, this could have moved us up to a 12 or 11 seed.

UL Basketball Louisville, RPI, & the Cajuns

I found this to be pretty interesting

Louisville is 27-4

Of their 4 losses, 3 have come to teams with an RPI below that of the Cajuns!!

Iowa 42
    Houston 88
    Memphis 119

Cajuns are 41

Also, Louisville has only beaten 4 teams with an RPI better than the Cajuns!!

Stanford 36
    Florida 19
    Cincinnati 22 (twice)
    Charlotte 33

After finding out this information, I like our chances better than my first impression. I truly believe that the Cajuns have a legitimate shot!!

(Cajuns beat LaTech!Tech beat Memphis!Memphis beat Louisville in Louisville!!Cajuns beat Louisville???)

I hope the slipper fits!!

I think the key to this game will be Chris Cameron.if he is knocking down his shots from outside it could be a very interesting game.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information