Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2004-05 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball Real Time RPI

1. Default

Originally posted by J-Town Cajun
    There are 32 conf.'s with each conf. having an automatic bid. There are 65 slots in the tourney, so that leaves 33 spots for at large bids.
    It seems to me. . . .

If every conference winner had an RPI rating lower than 64, virtually every at large bid would be limited teams with a top 32 RPI.

However you can effectivly lower the RPI needed 1 notch for every conference tourney winner that already has a top 64 RPI.

The question is how many conferences have top 64 RPI teams and can those teams win their conference? If the season ended to day with the Louisiana having an RPI of 42 we would need 10 or 11 RPI teams to win their league tourney. Then UL would be on the bubble.

. . . it seems to me.

This makes perfect sense. I think this formula would definitely be accurate to determine if we were a bubble team or not. However, there is always that UNKNOWN variable.the selection committee. Even if we win out, but lose in the conference finals, I think we would have to have a significantly higher, say 10 spots, RPI than big name teams from major confereneces to get an at large bid.

I'm only watching our RPI to see if we might be able to get a 12 seed provided we win the Sunbelt tourney.

Even if we were in a multiple bid conf., I'd root for us to win the conf. tourney en route to the NCAA. In my opinion, no better way to get pumped for the NCAA than winning your conf. I'll also be watchin our RPI to see what kind of seed we get after we win the conf. tourney. However, I'll be the first in line to start unrealistically hoping for an at-large bid via our RPI should we not win our conf. tourney.

Geaux Cajuns!

God Bless.

I hate to say this, even as big of an optomist as I am with Cajun athletics. In my opinion and this just what I think, I have no basis for this opinion, but I think the Cajun RPI has hit its peak. Even if we win out, I dont know that we will break 40 because lets face it, there are too many factors they cant control. LSU A&M needs to keep winning, I dont foresee that at all, they may get a couple of nice ones but i can see them collapsing like they did last year. And we still have another round of conference play to go and the conference will beat up on each other their RPI's arent going anywhere either. I feel the Cajuns hit a good run, but I think that is based on the performance of the other teams on their schedule, which realistically will lose more games. I hope am totally wrong with this, but this is just what I think.
    GEAUX CAJUNS,
    All the way to the FINAL FOUR!

5. Default 2005-02-06 am

After 7 game win streak snapped vs Denver

RPI Rank: 47 SOS Rank: 88

6. Default

Originally posted by lxa656
    I hate to say this, even as big of an optomist as I am with Cajun athletics. In my opinion and this just what I think, I have no basis for this opinion, but I think the Cajun RPI has hit its peak.
    Though this is post loss, and if they had won last night, I think I would still agree with you.

Mainly because the average RPI of he next 3 opponents is 240, so even winning those games will likely result in a small RPI drop.

I'm afraid of Denver, though I remain optimistic we (or some other Sun Belt team) may be able to knock them off come SBC tourney time.

God Bless.

p.s.- I also agree that RPI has probably hit it's peak, or that it's peak is not much higher than it is now.

8. Default 2005-02-14 am

RPI 49 SOS 95

9. Default

Originally posted by Crowley Cajun *
    As of right now at 6:10am on 2/18/05, we have an RPI of 55 and a SOS of 127 .
    I have thought for the last few weeks that even with wins over USA, UNO, and NMSU a toll woul be tallied on Louisiana's RPI.

What held back the drop was LSU coming up big. But last night with Denver & WKU losing we win and still drop.

I'm thinking that if all UL's past opponents can come up big the rest of the way UL could see a nice bump.

I'm just reminded of how the Lady Cajuns softball team's regular season RPI dropped with every win late last year.

10. Default 2005-02-20 Sunday morn

RPI Rank: 50 SOS Rank: 126

Here is what happend to Louisiana's season long opponents last night or in their last game. Kansas losing again hurts.

L  Louisiana Tech
    W LSU
    L  Rice
    L  Georgia St.
    W Charlotte
    L  Kansas
    W N.C. St.
    L  Georgia St.
    W McNeese St.
    W Vanderbilt
    W Southern Ill.
    W Denver
    L  South Alabama
    W New Orleans
    L  New Mexico St.
    W Florida Intl.
    W West. Kentucky
    W Middle Tenn. St.
    L  North Texas
    W Denver
    L  South Alabama
    W New Orleans
    L  New Mexico St.
    L  North Texas

11. Default 2005-02-25 (Friday morning)

RPI Rank: 55 SOS Rank: 116

12. Default 2005-03-01 Tuesday afternoon

RPI Rank: 53 SOS Rank: 95

If Louisiana can get a win or 2 or 3 in the tourney they will crack the top 50 in RPI.

Then no matter what happens in the post season -whether they make it or not- they will not drop out of the top 50 and might even climb.

This in my estimation is nothing short of amazing for a 1st year coach who was losing his top 3 shooters coming in.

GEAUX Cajuns.

13. Default 2005-03-04

Status quo

RPI Rank: 53 SOS Rank: 93

14. Default

It doesn't seem like we are still in the same season that a rookie coach named Lee was sort of reeling with a 3-5 record, 2-5 vs D1

Since then, the 16-5 record -all against D1 foes- has me thinking the Ragin' Cajuns and Coach Lee will win tonight.

RPI Rank: 50 SOS Rank: 103

15. Default After winning 2005 Sunbelt Tournament

RPI Rank: 42 SOS Rank: 99

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information