Thread: Black coaches urge South Carolina boycott

NCAA Black coaches urge South Carolina boycott

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- The Black Coaches Association wants prospective football recruits and assistant coaches to stay away from South Carolina because the school ignored the group's recommendation for a more open coaching search.

The group's director, Floyd Keith, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that South Carolina never contacted the BCA. The group sent the school search guidelines before Steve Spurrier was hired to replace Lou Holtz last month.

"There was an announcement and a hire," Keith said. "That was so fast that a jackrabbit couldn't have had a family between all that."

Three of the five black college coaches -- Notre Dame's Tyrone Willingham, New Mexico State's Tony Samuel and San Jose State's Fitz Hill -- won't be back with their schools next season.

The BCA first announced its plans regarding South Carolina in The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Full Story

are they kidding? this is such B.S. They wanted Spurrier, they got Spurrier, end of story. No need to interview anyone else, white, black or any other color.

Ragin' Cajuns

I have to agree with ya Mr. Hound! It would be a different story if there was a higher profile African American coach available."However, we can't ignore the fact that unjustified, insidious levels of prepetual disparate treatment and impact continues to take place in the ol' glory state of South Carolina! If not on it's face.definitely behind closed doors in smoke filled rooms!" Chief Justice Rehnquist, Lugar v. Edmondson Oil Co., 457 U.S. 922, 943-56 (1982).

Originally posted by RaginEsquire06
    "However, we can't ignore the fact that unjustified, insidious levels of prepetual disparate treatment and impact continues to take place in the ol' glory state of South Carolina! If not on it's face.definitely behind closed doors in smoke filled rooms!" Chief Justice Rehnquist, Lugar v. Edmondson Oil Co., 457 U.S. 922, 943-56 (1982).
    I agree with that statement but in this case you cannot cry wolf when the wolf is not there or else nobody will listen when he is there

I can understand interviewing a qualified african american coach when you have no clue who your next coach will be but isn't it disrespectful to invite a coach in for an interview when you know you will not hire them and it is only to fill a quata. A few NFL teams had this same problem last year.the cowboys invited Dennis Green in for an interview and he turned it down because he knew that parcells was they wanted and he didn't want to just be the black coach they HAD to interview.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I WILL KEEP THE REST OF MY COMMENTS TO MYSELF.

Ragin' Cajuns

You should have kept that remark to yourself! Self expression is great, however.intential displays of stupidity calls for redress!

Get on em SwampHound!

I'm the guy how looks like he can bench press a house in Petes this coming Saturday!

Goooooooooooo Cajuns!

Originally posted by bigearl
    YOU HAVE GOT TO BE F-ING KIDDING ME. I WILL KEEP THE REST OF MY COMMENTS TO MYSELF.
    feigning?

yep!

Ragin' Cajuns

No harm intended BigEarl.Just try'n to keep interesting!

Black Coaches Association ???

While I truly feel that black coaches may not be getting a fair shake at jobs I cannot be supportive of a Black Coaches Association boycott any more that I could be supportive of a White Coaches Association, which bt the way would be illegal

Thread Information