Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grantland Rice Bowl Memories.

Default Grantland Rice Bowl Memories.

Just wondering how many other old geezers like me were there that day and their memories of this Cajun game

I was a sophomore at then USL and went to that 1970 Grantland Rice Bowl game. The Cajuns led late, recovering their own kickoff in Tennessee State's end zone for a touchdown in the third or fourth quarter. After that, Jefferson Street Joe Gilliam throws the football some 70 yards in the air after a good Cajun pass rush down the east sideline to the south end zone of Mumford Stadium for a touchdown. I was right next to the play, as the Cajun cornerback slowed down, allowing the Tenn. State player to get behind him. He must have figured that there was no way that Gilliam could have thrown the ball that far. But he did, for a damn TD We played an outstanding game against one of the biggest and most talented teams in the country and narrowly lost by a score of 26-25 (I think). Mumford Stadium in Refineryville long time ago. Any other old-timers out there who were at that game?

As for Coach Hud and his staff, this is the VERY BEST (on paper) recruiting season that I have ever experienced (IMHO) and there's still time for more athletes to be offered. I haven't been this excited about football since we beat Texas A&M! I have a feeling that another bowl game will be possible in the near future!

GO CAJUNS!!!!

Default Re: Grantland Rice Bowl Memories.

I wasn't at the game but I did watch it on TV. There sure was some talent on that team.

This was right around my 1st birthday. Interesting to think about. Spent the first few years of my life up the road a bit from that stadium. I'll have to ask my dad if he remembers the game.

igeaux.mobi

Young whippersnapper.lol. Geez I'm old.

Alumni Re: Grantland Rice Bowl Memories.

FYI, the game was played at Memorial Stadium right past the governor's mansion. Mumford Stadium is on Southern University's campus

Quote Originally Posted by Gueydanmayor View Post
    _ Just wondering how many other old geezers like me were there that day and their memories of this Cajun game

I was a sophomore at then USL and went to that 1970 Grantland Rice Bowl game. The Cajuns led late, recovering their own kickoff in Tennessee State's end zone for a touchdown in the third or fourth quarter. After that, Jefferson Street Joe Gilliam throws the football some 70 yards in the air after a good Cajun pass rush down the east sideline to the south end zone of Mumford Stadium for a touchdown. I was right next to the play, as the Cajun cornerback slowed down, allowing the Tenn. State player to get behind him. He must have figured that there was no way that Gilliam could have thrown the ball that far. But he did, for a damn TD We played an outstanding game against one of the biggest and most talented teams in the country and narrowly lost by a score of 26-25 (I think). Mumford Stadium in Refineryville long time ago. Any other old-timers out there who were at that game?

As for Coach Hud and his staff, this is the VERY BEST (on paper) recruiting season that I have ever experienced (IMHO) and there's still time for more athletes to be offered. I haven't been this excited about football since we beat Texas A&M! I have a feeling that another bowl game will be possible in the near future!

GO CAJUNS!!!! _
    I was there. I remember it was kind of cold and we played a good game. The press before the game had articles referring to how large the Tennessee line was and that they were going to be NFL players.

I remember it like yesterday. I ask my dad if he wanted to go to the game. The best time I every had that day. After the game we had to cross the field to get to the parking lot. We passed by several Tenn. State players. His thought's "Damn they are big", which they were. Several went to the NFL. I told him they were big but we had Heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    _ I remember it like yesterday. I ask my dad if he wanted to go to the game. The best time I every had that day. After the game we had to cross the field to get to the parking lot. We passed by several Tenn. State players. His thought's "Damn they are big", which they were. Several went to the NFL. I told him they were big but we had Heart. _
    Went with my roomate. Sat on top row. If I remember correctly, they had 8 guys drafted off that team, with one being Ed "Too Tall" Jones, a huge OT named Asbury Glover - always remember that name, and a corneback that I believe went to Cincinnati Bengals, ended up being an All Pro. And the pass Gillam threw 70 yds for a TD, I am pretty sure he was fading back as he threw it because as he released it I thought there ain't no way he would get it there, but we all know he did to beat us.

Came back from Nam in Jan 70, walk on that spring, screwed my ankle up bad, tried again in the fall but so much for a football career.

Organized Veterans Club & president 1970-71.

Homecoming judge in fall, one of 3 non partial (non greek).

Partied all night with team after winning GSU conference championship. Night Tridico (LB) got in car accident.

Ended up having the chreeleaders ride on my red Torino in the parade in BR.

Had 40 yd line seats with girl I was dating and friends from Theta Xi.

Yes will be game I will always remember. Always wonder what would happen if Tridico hadn't got hurt in the car wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by dhuval View Post
    _ FYI, the game was played at Memorial Stadium right past the governor's mansion. Mumford Stadium is on Southern University's campus _

I knew that I drank too much that day way back when.At least I got the letter "M" right! Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunref View Post
    _ Went with my roomate. Sat on top row. If I remember correctly, they had 8 guys drafted off that team, with one being Ed "Too Tall" Jones, a huge OT named Asbury Glover - always remember that name, and a corneback that I believe went to Cincinnati Bengals, ended up being an All Pro. And the pass Gillam threw 70 yds for a TD, I am pretty sure he was fading back as he threw it because as he released it I thought there ain't no way he would get it there, but we all know he did to beat us. _
    You are correct, sir. Gilliam was fading back when he let loose on that pass with a horde of angry Cajuns on his tail!

12. Default Re: Grantland Rice Bowl Memories.

_ You are correct, sir. Gilliam was fading back when he let loose on that pass with a horde of angry Cajuns on his tail! _
    Are you the Mayor of G-Dan for real????

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Are you the Mayor of G-Dan for real???? _
    Duck when you ask that question.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Are you the Mayor of G-Dan for real???? _
    Literally, no. Figuratively, yes. I am probably the most hated UL fan in the universe by the LSU A&M @Baton Rouge Aggie fans. BOP, Stevie P and Foote all know who I am and can attest to my many shennanigans dispersed over the years toward the many Purple and Urine fans that live in the Lafayette area. I am proud of the fact that I have made lifelong enemies all over the state and country by tweaking the small minds and massive egos of the many paranoid LSWHO Tigger fans near and far. Oh, Turbine knows me well, too. Great guy from the great parish of Vermilion. Go Cajuns!

15. Default Re: Grantland Rice Bowl Memories.

_ Literally, no. Figuratively, yes. I am probably the most hated UL fan in the universe by the LSU A&M @Baton Rouge Aggie fans. BOP, Stevie P and Foote all know who I am and can attest to my many shennanigans dispersed over the years toward the many Purple and Urine fans that live in the Lafayette area. I am proud of the fact that I have made lifelong enemies all over the state and country by tweaking the small minds and massive egos of the many paranoid LSWHO Tigger fans near and far. Oh, Turbine knows me well, too. Great guy from the great parish of Vermilion. Go Cajuns! _
    Did you use to call Hap Glaudi in NO???? Congrats on your efforts!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information