Thread: 2nd Bowl Opportunity Closer?

UL Football 2nd Bowl Opportunity Closer?

Just read this morning that South Carolina and Clemson have both said they would not accept bowl invitations due to the fights at their game last week. Classy move by the administrations, and one that will cost them big bucks.

That said, what do you think Troy's chances are of getting into one of those vacancies? Definitely would be a boost for the SBC, especially if they played well.

Shof

That would be a G R E A T boost for the SUNBELT both financially and image wise(marketing)!! Recruiting would benefit mostly the teams that get in (Troy and North Texas) but would also benefit the other Sunbelt schools!!!

DaddyCajun!!

I was just looking at the latest CNNSI bowl projections. Even with SC and Clemson out, there didn't seem to be another opening. However, I don't think So Miss is eligible yet (could be wrong). If they failed to qualify and say the New Orleans Bowl ended up with the final opening; what would you think about a UNT vs Troy game in Nawlins ? Not sure what the New Oreans Bowl people would think; but it would make for an interesting game since they didn't meet in the regular season.

Anyway, always fun to speculate :<))

4. Default

Originally posted by shof
    what would you think about a UNT vs Troy game in Nawlins ? Not sure what the New Oreans Bowl people would think; but it would make for an interesting game since they didn't meet in the regular season.
    Since they didn't meat in the regular season (for me) it would be a very interesting matchup.

I'm not sure how well it would do as far as TV ratings go. TV ratings have been an early trump card of the SunBelt so far. By the time bowl season rolls around, I think viewers are more intrigued by conference-to-conference matchups. Intra conference games would seem like a step backwards. Still I would love to watch the game.

What the Sunbelt needs to do, is get to 12 members and we can watch that type of champioship game each and every year.

If I am not mistaken, the only way this could happen is if Conference USA cannot field a qualified team.

But shof I like your thinking because it's "always fun to speculate"

one of the guys on the espn bowl projection line up has troy in the independence. arkansas beating the team down the road on friday would change that tho' as ark would then be bowl eligible. i'd like to see troy in the game, but it'll be hard to pull against ark in a couple days. that loss would put the 'flagship school' in the cotton for sure, where texas would murder them by putting 10 in the box with those qb's!!

6. Default

Originally posted by CajunNation *

http://www.gotroystate.com/

Troy took out a full page ad in the local paper. It is referenced and shown on the message board.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information