Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Season The chase for 8 wins

1. Default 2004 Season The chase for 8 wins

I was sitting here trying to come to grips with the 2004 season and I ran across a post that pretty much sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCajun*

.just six weeks ago, so many fans were basking in reflective glory.talking about winning three in a row on the road. grabbing a conference championship.and going to the N.O. Bowl.

at 3-2, expectations were sky high.this is the best team in the past 10 years.

what must be understood is that we have to STOP looking ahead at the first glimse of success~ Because you fail to show up when its needed most.NOW. The turning point this season came in Idaho. when we looked past them.

last year, we went to South Carolina, outplayed them. but lost 14-7. We started to feel good about ourselves and got blasted in the home opener by La Tech the next game.

Its happened everytime our team gets a little success. 2 years ago, we go into Little Rock and battle Arkansas to a 24-17 loss that shouldve been an upset. The next week, we go into ULM a little cocky and get our ~~~ kicked, 31-7. Earlier that year, we destroy C-USA team UAB 34-0 at the swamp. We had an open week and a hurricane- then went into LSU overconfident and got humbled 48-0.at halftime

I am a true believer that seniors must step up, take charge and refocus the team every week. Every team I was on {except my senior year} failed to do that. Instead, towards the end of the season, you got seniors happily counting down the days. I dont know how the senior leadership was this season, but I pray that they truly fought til the end.

Until all Cajuns stakeholders- alike- learn how to handle success. it will remain out of reach for our program.

no one on this board is more disappointed in how this season ended than me. We are not the 6th best team in the conference. Regardless, I will not waver and point fingers this offseason- I believe in Bustle and our coaches- especially Brad Ohrt.

We didnt get it done. give credit to our opponents and everyone keep doing the right things for our program. Cajuns are loyal, true, and determined- press on.

If it was easy, anyone could do it.

riding out the storm,
    EBartel

2. Default

E in the world of fandom there are some who will not be ready to "ride out the storm"

Others will do a lot of finger pointing this off season.

But for me the losses came down to one thing, turnovers IF I remember right we had a 3-1 turnover deficit in every loss since Idaho.

I am ready to ride out the storm.

I totally disagree Turbine. We have the same record as last year, but it was against weaker schedule. Our special teams were not as good as last year. Our offense was better in some areas. Our defense improved towards the end of the year, but overall it was a wash compared to last year. This program finished the year poorly and that is a step backwards. Next year is crucial to this program and staff. I believe it will be do or die with this staff. Their credibility is on the line now.

Turbine,

Is there place for two in your boat "to ride out the storm". Oops, Marie wants in. Might be Noah's Ark.

5. Default

Except for completing the deep ball I can't find anywhere that the coaching staff could have done a better job.

Mr automatic misses field goals, what is the staff to do?

They change the entire defensive philosophy. It gels rock solid for the last 4th of the season.

The running game takes off against the #2 running defense in the country and doesn't slow down at the end.

Special teams went from averageing 6 blocks a season to only 4. So yeah there was a drop off there.

Overall there were fewer big returns than last season and yeah the punting game was not as good. meaning the opponents had shorter fields. I'll give you that one.

And yes the passing game was not at the end what it was for the last 2 seasons, but it didn't drop off till the starting QB broke or seriously injured some ribs. Perhaps opponents got used to the no huddle. This staf has shown it can adjust.

For me it comes down to turnovers and we had a plethora of them in 5 of the last 6 games.

Another aspect offensive line. 1, one, uno upper classman. We start sophmores and freshman. That area is either set or someone will have to be a lot better than the older line next year.

Bear Bryant, Vince Lombardi and even Eddie Robinson cannot coach a fumble and interceptions. These things happen, some at the most inopportune time. Nonetheless, these are the casualties of the football game that is played between the lines not necessarily from the sidelines or the press box.

Although the record does not show improvement, this team was better than last year. The cajuns were in every game, 4 of the 7 losses were very close. 3 by 3 pts. and 1 by 4. In each of those 4 loses the cajuns had the ball with less than a minute left with a chance to win. Our biggest weakness this year was kickoff/punt and kickoff/punt coverge teams. We just need better athletes here. The run defense for the most part was a major weakness this year, but improved alot over the last month of the year. We will lose a great player in Stanley Smith next year but every other position across D-Line and LB will improve. We lose 2 good DB's next year in Brown and Spann but we have a lot of returning talent and I don't see much of a drop off here. The O-Line can only improve, losing only our center, the rest will be a year older, bigger, and stronger. We ran the ball much better than last year and I see it to continue to improve. We will still not have a great back, but everyone returns plus add Rubin and any other recruit in this years class and it can only get better. Babb will continue to grow, he is a leader. Receiver pos. will see the biggest decline if Sampy does not return. We may lose our top 4 receivers. If Sampy returns we will be o.k., there are 3 big talented freshmen recievers on the team, just inexperienced. Leading TE Campbell returns and although Comisky missed his fareshare FG's this year (most from long range)he is still a good kicker. I am optimistic for next year and already looking forward to recruiting (we need immediate DT help) and the start to next year.

For me, the season was full of hard fought games and a team that never gave up. Like many others I sit here at the end of the season and wonder how we can lose 3 games by 3 points and 1 by 4 points. We have improved from 3 years ago that is evident. But this was the last season for the team and coaching staff to get a mulligan. From 2005 forward, I expect (and we as fans should expect) more. Not certain if this season was a step backward but not sure either if it was a step forward. Next season the players this staff has recruited MUST step forward. Anything short of a winning record in 2005 will be a major, major disappointment.

I think Babb's injury was a big deal, and the defense could not stop NFL calibre running backs [we saw several this season]
    And we put ZERO pressure on QBs.
    The Game against Monroe had some brilliant offfense. [compared to the NMSU game from 1994 look it up] except for the turnovers. The defense was tight on every down except 3rd at the end and That's why we lost a game dominated by the Cajuns.

I agree with a lot of the stuff everyone else has to say. In my opinion the biggest weakness on this team was the d-tackle position, those guys for the most part this season played horrible, and they made the rest of the defense look bad also. The Cajuns brought in 2 JC d-linemen to help them out and neither did anything, especially Joe Bradley he was supposes to bring instant help to the defensive line and he did nothing. The next biggest weakness on this team was the running game. Even though the Cajuns improve their rushing totals by a wide margin a lot of it was Jerry Babb. This team still does not have a gamebreaker at the running back position. It was very frustrating this season watching Cajun backs fail to pick up one yard when they needed it on a 4th and 1. The 3rd weakness on this team I think was the lost of Tommy Briggs in the summer at the TE position he had a lot of talent and I believe that he could have helped our passing game in a big way had he stayed for the season. For next year to go better that this season I think the Cajuns will need to: On offense get a stud at the running back position, and have some of those young WR’S step up. On defense the Cajuns need 4 new D- tackles in the 2 deep, for some one to replace Stanley Smith, I think Brenton Burkhalter has the talent to get the job done, and for Lamar Morgan to be over that knee injury so he can be ½ of the combo that replaces Brown and Spann.

Include me in the "boat". In fact, included the Krewe. I am, also, selling fast, inflatable flotation devices for those that want to bail out. They fit around one's ankles.

12. Default

Originally posted by cajuncharlie
    .They fit around one's ankles.
    LOL

I thought the offensive line played very well this year and will only get better.

13. Default

They were a lot more competive. In fact, they persuaded me to get season tickets next year. See you there!!

Originally posted by Turbine

I thought the offensive line played very well this year and will only get better.
    All the starters return

i'd sure like to see a little consistency in the local media; last year, 4 wins was ok, cuz we won 4 out of the last five. this year we win 4 again, but lose the last 3 in a row. still, it's a great year, cuz 'if you don't think this team is greatly improved, you haven't been paying attention.' c'mon everybody, if we crowed about winning 4 of 5, we need to bemoan losing 3 of 3. this season was a downer, and if the team was really greatly improved, than we need to feel even worse, as the schedule was so much easier.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information