Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why I Love UL

Default Why I Love UL

I am relatively new to this board, and so far it has been educational and even entertaining (snarkiness aside). I have found some like-minded Cajuns fans, and even those of a disagreeable mind often find common ground in the premise that LSU&A&MC is the source of all that is evil.

Reflecting on all of this made me start to think of the reasons I love this University so much. So, here are my reasons in no particular order. Feel free to chime in.

• One of the most beautiful campuses in America. I’ll match our Cypress Lake and Century Oaks against the Grove at Ole’ Miss or anywhere else. I don’t care what anyone says. UL has a beautiful campus that will only get better.

• Best tailgating in the world. Bar none. We have better food. Better people and none of the ugliness that LSU seems to be so proud of. Good for single men because the women are HOT, good for families and fun for all. I’ll match our tailgating against anyone anywhere.

• The NEW Cajun Field. I was against the turf. I played on the grass and I loved the old Cajun Field. But honestly, the NEW field is beautiful. I love the statement made in the end zones as well.

• It brought me to know BJ Landry. Those of you who knew BJ know what I mean by this. If you did not have the privilege, then I am sorry to say that you are worse off for it. “Beej” was a “superfan” before there was such a thing. Not just loyal, but put his efforts where his heart was. Out at every practice, at every game, at every event, with nary a complaint or even a frown (except after a loss). I am lucky to have known him and I have UL to thank for that.

• Our traditions. World’s largest Louisiana flag. UL hand sign. Diving into the swamp at homecoming. Our traditions get into your blood.

• We are unique. Thee is no place else on the planet like UL or like Acadiana for that matter. Who else has something better than Cypress Lake? Who can claim a Francophile heritage? Who has our engineering and computer science credentials? Where else can you hear “poo-yie,” “mais yeah” and “coullion” in a single afternoon walking around campus? Who else has our music, our food and our joie de vivre?

• Acadiana. UL is located in the most fun loving place on the planet. ‘Nuff said.

• UL will always be home. Man, the memories when I walk on campus. Seriously, there are few other places I can go where I feel more at home.

• It taught me to pronounce words that no one else can say. Where else can you go to learn to say Richard (the right way), boudin, Boudreaux, Naquin, Hebert, etc.?

• The berms. Cajun field has those berms in the end zones. Watching kids play and families sit together out there gives our games a special atmosphere. Perhaps the days of the berms are numbered, but we still have them now and even when they are gone, we had them at one time.

• UL removed the scales from my eyes. Until I attended the U (back in 1983 when the legislature did it’s little dipsy doodle with the name), I had no idea of the climate I lived in. Living through that, learning about the way that our university is funded and how there is no equal treatment under the law, I saw that LSU is in fact the source of all evil. I owe UL for opening my eyes to that.

• Ardent athletic supporters. Heh heh, you guys know what I mean. We want to get better and we are willing to put that desire into action. Y’all are the best, man.

• The RCAF. See above.

• Our history. Not the same as our traditions. I mean that UL is and has been for a very long time a stable contributing part of our state and our country. From WWII officer training to Vets Village, from SLI to UL, we have led the way in engineering, computers, nursing, business, CAD/CAM, robotics, etc.

• Diversity on campus. Students from all over the state and all over the world. Class room learning wasn’t the half of it.

• Our rugby team KICKS ASS.

• Mostly it is the people though. The people at UL were some of the sweetest, kindest and most sincere people I have met in my life. There is a love of laughter and life there I doubt exists elsewhere to the same degree.

J'aime mon école. Allons Louisiane.

Default Re: Why I Love UL

Very well stated and welcome to the board.... GO CAJUNS!

Such a positive post and a pleasure to read. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post

• One of the most beautiful campuses in America. I’ll match our Cypress Lake and Century Oaks against the Grove at Ole’ Miss or anywhere else. I don’t care what anyone says. UL has a beautiful campus that will only get better.
    I have to agree with this. I always like to end a day of classes with a walk along St. Mary. Those oaks make our campus.

5. Default Re: Why I Love UL

Very, very nice.

How about this, only 2 schools around over 100-years can say they have had football since year one of their existence. LINK

Only one can say they have had an organized team every single year the doors have been opened.

ps I did this 5 years ago so the percentages are higher for everyone below 100%

Very well said.

I'm going to challenge everyone here to add to list, but I'm going to make it a little harder by grabbing a few things before anyone else can think of them.

1) The Eauques.

2) The friendliness.

3) Faculty who really care.

4) Tolerance. Being a little different or a little weird at UL-- nationality, religion, skin color, passions-- is no big deal.

5) Festival International.

6) Downtown Alive!

7) Festivals Acadiens

8) Compactness: UL, Downtown, Oil Center, Athletics, all within a small area (small enough to walk if you have a mind to... one really nice night I walked from the campus to the Cajundome... it was beautiful).

9) Progressive community: Fiber To The Home, film inititative, LITE, LEDA, etc.

10) Restaurants. Remember, our chefs whack the bejeezus out of the NO chefs in the Culinary Classic-- and NO has some of the best restaurants in the country.

11) Arts-- AcA, Symphony, UAM, ArtWalk, Citi des Arts, etc.

12) Night life- Blue Moon, Artmosphere, Grant St. Dancehall, Bisbano's, and several dozen others in the Downtown and Strip, not to mention all over town.

13) Great fans. When we lose, nobody throws a fit, nobody curses the players, nobody starts fights.

Next?

7. Default Re: Why I Love UL

The "Walk of Honor"

A really cool reminder of each UL grads' hard work. And not a bad reason to come home from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by nathancpike View Post
    _ I have to agree with this. I always like to end a day of classes with a walk along St. Mary. Those oaks make our campus. _
    I always liked to end a day of classes with a walk to the BullDog.

Quote Originally Posted by LOVAQUE View Post
    _ I always liked to end a day of classes with a walk to the BullDog. _
    Absolutely! Ending finals with a few pints will never be forgotten...

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ Very well said.

I'm going to challenge everyone here to add to list, but I'm going to make it a little harder by grabbing a few things before anyone else can think of them.

1) The Eauques.

2) The friendliness.

3) Faculty who really care.

4) Tolerance. Being a little different or a little weird at UL-- nationality, religion, skin color, passions-- is no big deal.

5) Festival International.

6) Downtown Alive!

7) Festivals Acadiens

8) Compactness: UL, Downtown, Oil Center, Athletics, all within a small area (small enough to walk if you have a mind to... one really nice night I walked from the campus to the Cajundome... it was beautiful).

9) Progressive community: Fiber To The Home, film inititative, LITE, LEDA, etc.

10) Restaurants. Remember, our chefs whack the bejeezus out of the NO chefs in the Culinary Classic-- and NO has some of the best restaurants in the country.

11) Arts-- AcA, Symphony, UAM, ArtWalk, Citi des Arts, etc.

12) Night life- Blue Moon, Artmosphere, Grant St. Dancehall, Bisbano's, and several dozen others in the Downtown and Strip, not to mention all over town.

13) Great fans. When we lose, nobody throws a fit, nobody curses the players, nobody starts fights.

Next? _

14] it saw fit to graduate my little girl!

I don't believe they do this anymore with the "official" change in drinking age to 21. I met my bride many years ago on Langiappe Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat View Post
    _ Absolutely! Ending finals with a few pints will never be forgotten... _

Or remembered depending on the number of pints and $1 burgers Consumed!

Also great post and list all good reasons

C'mon folks, I want some more posts!!!

Why do YOU love UL?

Why do I love UL. Just putting it simple. Would be the people of Acadiana make UL. Like all the things said earlier. But if UL was in another city it would not be the same. The heritage of our families is what makes UL. So how could you not love UL once you have exsperienced Acadiana as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ C'mon folks, I want some more posts!!!

Why do YOU love UL? _
    I can't believe that I forgot Lagniappe Day, Festival International, Downtown Alive! and Festivals Acadiens. That's embarassing. Lest we forget also that Breaux Bridge Crawfish Fest and all of the otehr festivals in the communities surrounding the HUD City.

How about walking around Girard park and scoping out the hunnies? Or the sweet new alumni house where Mr. Heimann used to live?

And for us kids from the city, how about the first time you realized that it was a gator making that weird noise you heard on campus?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information