Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why I Love UL

Default Re: Why I Love UL

Going to plays put on by the theater department. The Homecoming parade.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ C'mon folks, I want some more posts!!!

Why do YOU love UL? _
    Fletcher Hall
    Tom Secrest
    William Moreland
    Tom Ladusa
    Fred Packard
    Gil Carner
    John Geldersma
    Robert Wiggs
    Dickie Wagner

but first of all Cajun basketball!

Why do YOU love UL? _
    The Diamond Darlings!

Why do YOU love UL? _
    Stokes Hall - I know it is a dump, but it was home for 5 years. I also used to love the women who worked in the union cafateria - they were really sweet and knew the regulars by name.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlBlake22 View Post
    Stokes Hall - I know it is a dump, but it was home for 5 years. I also used to love the women who worked in the union cafateria - they were really sweet and knew the regulars by name.
    I remember the cafeteria that was by the mens hall. The head cook (Mike, I think) use to cook things he'd trap/kill and put them out on a table for those who wanted to try them.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Why I Love UL

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    _ I remember the cafeteria that was by the mens hall. The head cook (Mike, I think) use to cook things he'd trap/kill and put them out on a table for those who wanted to try them. _
    Now those are the days! I remember moving back to Lafayette years after graduating and seeing Martin Dining Hall and the dorms were closed. I was back for the demolition of the dorm, I am trying to remember the dorm names. I lived in all three; there was Roy andwhat were the other two?

And why were they closed?

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Now those are the days! I remember moving back to Lafayette years after graduating and seeing Martin Dining Hall and the dorms were closed. I was back for the demolition of the dorm, I am trying to remember the dorm names. I lived in all three; there was Roy andwhat were the other two?

And why were they closed?
    Men's dorms

Caffery Hall was completed as a men's dorm in 1957. It was named for Charles D. Caffery, one of the first to donate money to the university. Caffery was a member of UL Lafayette's Board of Trustees from 1905-1909 and was related to Ambassador Jefferson Caffery. Caffery Hall was demolished in 2002 to make way for a new student residence complex: Legacy Park.

McCullough Hall was a men's dorm completed in 1957. It was named in honor of Rexford C. McCullough, former dean of men and director of publicity. He was also a state senator and vice president of the SLI Alumni Association. McCullough graduated from UL Lafayette in 1931. McCulough Hall was demolished in 2003 to make way for a new student residence complex: Legacy Park.

Roy Hall was named for J. Arthur Roy, former member of the executive committee of UL Lafayette. It was constructed as a men's dorm in 1957. Roy Hall was demolished in 2002 to make way for a new student residence complex: Legacy Park.

Voorhies Hall, built in 1965 as a men's dormitory, was named in honor of Edward G. Voorhies. He was an original donor of money to UL Lafayette so it could be located in Lafayette. Voorhies Hall was demolished in 2003 to make way for the new Child Development Center.

Stokes Hall, named for William Bee "Daddy" Stokes, was constructed in 1968 as a men's dorm. Stokes was head of the Mathematics Department in the 1920s and 1930s

_ Now those are the days! I remember moving back to Lafayette years after graduating and seeing Martin Dining Hall and the dorms were closed. I was back for the demolition of the dorm, I am trying to remember the dorm names. I lived in all three; there was Roy andwhat were the other two?

And why were they closed? _
    I can't remember the names, but one was right across from Girard Park, and the other one was next to the married apartments. I'm not sure if how far back this goes, but my first year in the dorms they would have 3 or 4 movies that would play continually on the university channel - they were always really good movies and would change every month. I watched "snatch" (starring Brad Pitt) about 14 times one month.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    _ Men's dorms

Caffery Hall was completed as a men's dorm in 1957. It was named for Charles D. Caffery, one of the first to donate money to the university. Caffery was a member of UL Lafayette's Board of Trustees from 1905-1909 and was related to Ambassador Jefferson Caffery. Caffery Hall was demolished in 2002 to make way for a new student residence complex: Legacy Park.

McCullough Hall was a men's dorm completed in 1957. It was named in honor of Rexford C. McCullough, former dean of men and director of publicity. He was also a state senator and vice president of the SLI Alumni Association. McCullough graduated from UL Lafayette in 1931. McCulough Hall was demolished in 2003 to make way for a new student residence complex: Legacy Park.

Roy Hall was named for J. Arthur Roy, former member of the executive committee of UL Lafayette. It was constructed as a men's dorm in 1957. Roy Hall was demolished in 2002 to make way for a new student residence complex: Legacy Park.

Voorhies Hall, built in 1965 as a men's dormitory, was named in honor of Edward G. Voorhies. He was an original donor of money to UL Lafayette so it could be located in Lafayette. Voorhies Hall was demolished in 2003 to make way for the new Child Development Center.

Stokes Hall, named for William Bee "Daddy" Stokes, was constructed in 1968 as a men's dorm. Stokes was head of the Mathematics Department in the 1920s and 1930s _
    Thanks for the info - that was alot of stuff to have hanging around! I lived in all three, McCullough, then Voohries, then Roy and I enjoyed them all. We moved back in 2003 and I taped the McCullough demolition the morning it happened. If you remember, that was the same day of the shuttle disaster!

Thanks again for the information!

_ Now those are the days! I remember moving back to Lafayette years after graduating and seeing Martin Dining Hall and the dorms were closed. I was back for the demolition of the dorm, I am trying to remember the dorm names. I lived in all three; there was Roy andwhat were the other two?

And why were they closed? _
    Alright, let's add the ping pong table in the lounge at Voorhies Hall to my list of reasons I love UL. That thing produced enough money to keep me in boudin links and diet coke through some lean times.

And while I am at it, let's add Coach Blanco to the list too.

And Dean Cottingham for helping to keep so many players eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    _ Alright, let's add the ping pong table in the lounge at Voorhies Hall to my list of reasons I love UL. That thing produced enough money to keep me in boudin links and diet coke through some lean times.

And while I am at it, let's add Coach Blanco to the list too.

And Dean Cottingham for helping to keep so many players eligible. _
    I could never get to the ping pong table, maybe it was because of you! LOL.

I remember Danny from then; I believe he was the head of Roy when I lived there, but as is usual, I don't have total recall!

I could never get to the ping pong table, maybe it was because of you! LOL.

I remember Danny from then; I believe he was the head of Roy when I lived there, but as is usual, I don't have total recall!
    I think Danny was in charge of McCullough when I was there in 74'.

I'm loving these past memories and experiences. In four or five or six years, I hope to have experienced all of these and more.

I Love UL because of all the great people I meet when I moved to Lafayette to attend UL.
    I Love UL b/c with all the international students it opened my eyes to the many different cultures that exist around this world and in this country. (I'm from the Lake Chuck area, not much "multi-cultural" stuff happening over there)
    I Love UL because of the greek system and all the friends I made while in a fraternity and for sorority girls!!
    I Love UL because of Shanahan's and Nite Caps (RIP both places), The Bull Dog, Blaze's and City Bar n Maurice, Night Town, and of course the legandary $1 nights at Poets!!!!
    I Love UL, b/c it is UL and has it's own unique ientity that most people don't understand b/c they aren't a RAGIN' CAJUN!!!

I Love UL for being able to experience living in Stokes for 2 years!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information